Films

22 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Banshees of Inisherin. Enjoyed it. The location was fantastic and Colin Farrell (whom I don’t normally like) was brilliant in it. 

I actually have a lot of love for Kerry Conlon who was in Better Call Saul and not averse to getting the baps out in Rome. If you've watched those it's quite surprising to hear her use her actual accent here.

9 hours ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Yeah, no worth it. I went in with low expectations and those expectations were duly met. 

Yeah I remember going to see The Temple Of Doom with my dad (about 1 of 3 movies I ever remember him taking me to the cinema to see). I suspect we're far too long in the tooth to get a sense of childlike enjoyment out of any of these sorts of movies now.

I don't know why there's not more of a market to bring these classics back to the cinema. I know some of the independent cinemas do occasional classics seasons. I'd love to see some of them in a big cinema, I sure the kids might too particularly around Christmas season. I remember watching Goldfinger on Boxing Day or the 27th in London at a cinema in South London - lovely stuff. 

11 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

Yeah I remember going to see The Temple Of Doom with my dad (about 1 of 3 movies I ever remember him taking me to the cinema to see). I suspect we're far too long in the tooth to get a sense of childlike enjoyment out of any of these sorts of movies now.

I don't know why there's not more of a market to bring these classics back to the cinema. I know some of the independent cinemas do occasional classics seasons. I'd love to see some of them in a big cinema, I sure the kids might too particularly around Christmas season. I remember watching Goldfinger on Boxing Day or the 27th in London at a cinema in South London - lovely stuff. 

The chains do show some of the old classics now and then. I've seen The Exorcist, The Good The Bad and the Ugly and the Godfather trilogy this year at Showcase. Would love to see Jaws at an IMAX though.

I took my kids to see the new Spiderverse film at the weekend and the woke factor is indeed ramped up; Peter Parker now is a cucked stay-at-home dad in a pink shirt, usurped by a pink-haired butch dyke with daddy issues, a Hispanic big-mouth, a heavily pregnant Latisha and a black punk rocker with a Cockney accent. Not to mention portraying white males as effeminate sleazeballs and/or thugs and incompetent fools.

So, just another attempt to ramp up The Message (tm) at the expense of good storytelling... And wide open for a sequel.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I'm giving every excuse to delay taking my kids to see Indiana Jones and the Deluge of Dysentery, such are the horrible clips I've seen so far and the even worse reviews. They just couldn't leave it alone, not even after the last fiasco... 

Seemingly audience reviews are better than critic reviews. 

DoD is on a par with Last Crusade apparently. 

8 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

I'll make my own mind up on that as well when I eventually see the film.

Surely can't be as bad as Crystal Skull.

Just boring as fuck. Seen it all before: he finds the thing, he gets betrayed, the nazis take it, he gets it back, yada yada, then chuck in a bit of time travel and the characters suck as well. Crystal Skull was better (and that's not a recommendation either).

18 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

I'll make my own mind up on that as well when I eventually see the film.

Surely can't be as bad as Crystal Skull.

How many times have we seen a film be praised by the critics, winning lots of awards, only for the public to generally dislike it (The Artist, La La Land).

Same with the other way, won't be the first movie I have enjoyed that the critics panned.

4 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

A lot of films we watched through the lens of the 70s or 80s growing up, you watch them now and think why the fuck dud I watch this film so much? Its pish.

There's a few now I still think are class after watching for the first time in the 80s, but a whole lot more I have to turn off.

Rewatched Raiders of the Lost Ark with my loon last week and we both loved it.

6 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

That is one that stands the test of time.

Jaws as well.

Jaws is a fucking classic.

The bit where the boys heid pops out of the speedboat gets me every time even though I know it’s coming.

And the Robert Shaw bit about the US warship that sank in the Pacific and they we were waiting for the sharks to pick them off is so well done.

• Upvote 1