Films

3 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Hard to imagine it's better than Alive. 

It is imo. I found it easier to buy into the characters probably as they were speaking Spanish. Can't really think of an aspect of it which isn't better than Alive (and I liked that at the time). The crash itself and the avalanches are just so well done and keeping it in Spanish (no idea if it is Uruguayan Spanish though) is exactly how it should be.

8 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

It is imo. I found it easier to buy into the characters probably as they were speaking Spanish. Can't really think of an aspect of it which isn't better than Alive (and I liked that at the time). The crash itself and the avalanches are just so well done and keeping it in Spanish (no idea if it is Uruguayan Spanish though) is exactly how it should be.

I'll give it a watch, love a survival film.

Richard Donner's Superman tonight. A 10/10 on it's worst day.

One of the greatest theme tunes ever. Brando, Hackman, Kidder & Reeve are all perfect.

The Helicopter rescue scene still gives me shivers.

And the movie represents the best of humanity. It's filled with good, decency, optimism & hope.

Impossible not to love.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:08 PM, GAME OF BILLIONS said:

Oh yeah, this look good. Alive is good, saw it when it came out, but I re-watched it a few years ago and I found it a little sparse in the drama department. I read about the real story and it's insane.

Another similar film, a documentary by Werner Herzog is good...

(Full movie, 66 minutes)

Starring a young pre Den Deborah Meaden. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, DD1903 said:

Saltburn. Pish. Just watch The Talented Mr Ripley instead. 

Yeah, that Saltburn was depressing. Tried to hard to be  shocking.

Should have been called, Saltcoats a film about a Scouser who nicks a luxury caravan. Cameo by Krankie Sturgeon as a homeless wino who throws cups of pish at tourists.

Plein Soleil (1960) was the original Ripley film. Made in France, starring Alain Delon...

There's also one with John Malkovich...

Note the close resemblance between Malkovich and Delon.

"Maaaallllllkoviiiiiiich!"

7 hours ago, Poodler said:

Oppenheimer cleaning up at the Golden Globes.

expect it to win big at the Oscar’s.

a film about how smart Jews are and then how sympathetic Jews are.

evil 

Is there a Palestinian movie up for Best International film ? That'd noise them up a bit...

One Life

Another movie about some dude rescuing Jews from the nazis. Spent most of the movie thinking about those he and  Oskar Schindler saved back then and how many of their descendants may currently be baying for Palestinian blood.

But is it any good. Not high in the drama stakes imo, more just a document of "this is what happened" and then he appeared on That's Life years later. Couldn't get enthused about it at all.