Sign in to follow this  
Millertime

Caught Speeding

got a letter through from grampain police saying i was caught on a9 somewhere doing 63 in a 50 zone and to send in my details to PROBABLY be given an "offer.."

does this mean

got a letter through from grampain police saying i was caught on a9 somewhere doing 63 in a 50 zone and to send in my details to PROBABLY be given an "offer.."

does this mean

first check date you received it. if delivered more than 14 days after date of offence its invalid. not only should you ask for photo but also the calibration certificate for that day as all speed equiptment has to be calibrated on daily basis. No certificate, no prosecution.

alternativley pay up 60 quid and get 3 points but no prizes.

Guest LondonScottish
thanks for that

so if i question it, can they increase the fine or anything?

Only if you contest it at court and you lose.

Was it a fixed camera, or a mobile camera?

I got off a speeding ticket in Livingston because the police camera van was illegaly parked on chevrons :crossfingers:

Definitely ask for the calibration info, & if a mobile van, when the person operating the camera was trained.

Check the internet for "How to beat a ticket" :laughing:

Good luck!

first check date you received it. if delivered more than 14 days after date of offence its invalid. not only should you ask for photo but also the calibration certificate for that day as all speed equiptment has to be calibrated on daily basis. No certificate, no prosecution.

alternativley pay up 60 quid and get 3 points but no prizes.

gash info

they have 14 days to get it in the mail to the Registered Keeper (which may not be you).

Can you remember seeing the camera? Van or Gatso?

Asking for calibration certificate will do you absolutley no good. And I question anyone to actually prove that it has done them any good (and I don't mean "my mate done it and got off with it" - that's nonesense). Equipment does NOT have to be calibrated on a daily basis. Urban myth.

here's the legal situation.

In scotland the section 184 of the Road Traffic Act states that you must either provide information as to who was driving or provide your details. BUT, in Scotland your rights are that to be prosecuted without a confession you must have received a legal and formal caution from two police officers. This is how I got 'around' it.

For the prosecution to proceed they must either caution you legally (two coppers) and issue you a NIP (Notice of intended prosecution) or issue a summons to court within 6 months.

You have 28 days to return the NIP to them. The way I done it you have two options (I went with 2).

Option 1

On day 26 have your wife/girlfriend/mother anyone but you fill in your details BUT DO NOT SIGN THE NIP. Have them sign a statement that they filled it in on your behalf. Then send it recorded delivery for next day delivery.

By doing this you have fulfilled your legal obligations, but not confessed to guilt (that's the not signing bit).

Option 2

on day 26 send them a nice letter, do not get arsey or anything, be polite. Say that you have been away, returned and found this letter, and you cannot remember who was driving that day as it is almost a month ago. Can they please send a photo to "TRY to identify the driver" (make sure you say "try").

You will either receive a letter (which to me told me they can't see the drivers face) or a photo. Both will include another NIP. (By this time you've used up 1 month of their 6 months to get you to court).

Then do Option 1. Again on the 26th day of your new 28 days.

They WILL send you another NIP/your one back with the signature box highlighted and a letter asking you to sign it.

Ignore it. This is where you need a bit of bottle.

They will probably send another. Ignore it. And from then forth until the 6 months expire - you work offshore and your girlfriend/wife/anyone answers the door. There is a SLIM chance they can send coppers round.

6 months go by and the process has expired.

Note - only do this if you are prepared to go to court. If you are not, sign it, accept the points, pay the fine and pay the extra insurance premium for the next 5 years.

or, ask why Grampian police are sending NIP's for roads outside their area? And it won't be Grampian police it will be NESCAMP on behalf of Grampian Police.

Worthwhile noting that NESCAMP are a profit making organisation. If you pay your Conditional Fixed Penalty to them, they make money and also fund more fixed cameras. If you go to court, chances are you get no more fine/points but the fine goes to the state (same coffers as road tax).

Guest LondonScottish
gash info

they have 14 days to get it in the mail to the Registered Keeper (which may not be you).

Asking for calibration certificate will do you absolutley no good. And I question anyone to actually prove that it has done them any good (and I don't mean "my mate done it and got off with it" - that's nonesense). Equipment does NOT have to be calibrated on a daily basis. Urban myth.

In scotland the section 184 of the Road Traffic Act states that you must either provide information as to who was driving or provide your details. BUT, in Scotland your rights are that to be prosecuted without a confession you must have received a legal and formal caution from two police officers. This is how I got 'around' it.

For the prosecution to proceed they must either caution you legally (two coppers) and issue you a NIP (Notice of intended prosecution) or issue a summons to court within 6 months.

You have 28 days to return the NIP to them. The way I done it you have two options (I went with 2).

Option 1

On day 26 have your wife/girlfriend/mother anyone but you fill in your details BUT DO NOT SIGN THE NIP. Have them sign a statement that they filled it in on your behalf. Then send it recorded delivery for next day delivery.

By doing this you have fulfilled your legal obligations, but not confessed to guilt (that's the not signing bit).

Option 2

on day 26 send them a nice letter, do not get arsey or anything, be polite. Say that you have been away, returned and found this letter, and you cannot remember who was driving that day as it is almost a month ago. Can they please send a photo to "TRY to identify the driver" (make sure you say "try").

You will either receive a letter (which to me told me they can't see the drivers face) or a photo. Both will include another NIP. (By this time you've used up 1 month of their 6 months to get you to court).

They WILL send you another NIP/your one back with the signature box highlighted and a letter asking you to sign it.

They will probably send another. Ignore it. And from then forth until the 6 months expire - you work offshore and your girlfriend/wife/anyone answers the door. There is a SLIM chance they can send coppers round.

6 months go by and the process has expired.

Note - only do this if you are prepared to go to court. If you are not, sign it, accept the points, pay the fine and pay the extra insurance premium for the next 5 years.

or, ask why Grampian police are sending NIP's for roads outside their area? And it won't be Grampian police it will be NESCAMP on behalf of Grampian Police.

Worthwhile noting that NESCAMP are a profit making organisation. If you pay your Conditional Fixed Penalty to them, they make money and also fund more fixed cameras. If you go to court, chances are you get no more fine/points but the fine goes to the state (same coffers as road tax).

Now that is a cracking first post. :laughing:

Welcome on board.

My mate got off with speeding because the cert from the speed gun or whatever was out of date.

Bit of a joke really, he was still speeding so should have been booked.

Edited by Dynamo

They are a total pain in the hoop aren't they! I got caught whilst driving from Aberdeen to Inverness by a runt poking out the back of his van. Worst thing about it was the location. Right over the brow of a hill on one of the few overtaking lane sections. Finally you have the chance to overtake so of course I am going to speed up to get past the lorry ahead. Low and behold, when I get to the top of the hill I see the van and hit the brakes but by that time it was too late.

Bunch of money grabbers put me in a bad mood the rest of the way up. Fair enough I was going too fast and I can't deny that but shouldn't they be catching folk speeding in 30mph built up areas where it is actually dangerous?!

Grrrr!

Guest LondonScottish
They are a total pain in the hoop aren't they! I got caught whilst driving from Aberdeen to Inverness by a runt poking out the back of his van. Worst thing about it was the location. Right over the brow of a hill on one of the few overtaking lane sections. Finally you have the chance to overtake so of course I am going to speed up to get past the lorry ahead. Low and behold, when I get to the top of the hill I see the van and hit the brakes but by that time it was too late.

Bunch of money grabbers put me in a bad mood the rest of the way up. Fair enough I was going too fast and I can't deny that but shouldn't they be catching folk speeding in 30mph built up areas where it is actually dangerous?!

Grrrr!

I got pulled for doing 37mph in a 30 about a mile from my house not so long ago. There were about 9 or 10 cars in front of me (all doing 30) and I was the last car and got pulled. Happy days, because my tax was 10 days out of date, and he didn't like the spacing on my number plate. Argued that I wasn't doing more than 30, why didn't he stop any of the other cars as if I was speeding I would have driven over them, and also said there was no way they were going to take me to court with a 10% discrepancy ie doing 33mph.

Got let off in the end, and obviously sorted out the tax thing the next day. F@cking petty pull though in the first place.

simple solution Millertime - don't speed and take responsibility for your own actions :thumbup1:

Bet you don't drive :laughing:

Edited by Sheep#1

Guest stoney

frigging dancer, bout time speeding scum like you were off the road.

Accident waiting to happen the speed limits there for a reason :thumbup1:

gash info

Option 1

Option 2

They will probably send another. Ignore it. And from then forth until the 6 months expire - you work offshore and your girlfriend/wife/anyone answers the door. There is a SLIM chance they can send coppers round. 6 months go by and the process has expired.

If you do that and it is not true then it is an attempt to pervert the course of justice and you'll get totally screwed over if you get found out. It's no different to the numpties that move road signs etc. If you lie as a way to get off with it and get caught then you'll end up in serious cr@p. Your choice though. IMO if I knew I was driving and speeding, I would take it on the chin. No point risking anything worse, it's only 60 quid and 3 points for god sake.

If you do that and it is not true then it is an attempt to pervert the course of justice and you'll get totally screwed over if you get found out. It's no different to the numpties that move road signs etc. If you lie as a way to get off with it and get caught then you'll end up in serious cr@p. Your choice though. IMO if I knew I was driving and speeding, I would take it on the chin. No point risking anything worse, it's only 60 quid and 3 points for god sake.

Everything there is 100% legal in scotland.

And as I said, you have provided the information required under section 184 of the RTA, but by not signing it you have not admitted guilt without a caution. To be forced into signing a NIP in scotland without such a caution is a violation of your civil liberties.

If you don't believe me, it's your hard cheese.

or you can go and read about the plentiful successful people who follow this route on www.pepipoo.com in scotland. Then bleat about it if you think I'm telling fibs.

my mate got caught this time last year but they caught him as he was en route to portugal. being portuguese and going home for the summer, was there for 3 months. Gets back to find several letters saying he was due in court.

He of course starts panicing and goes to explain it all, accepts hes done wrong and wants to pay the fine and accept his wrong doing. They turn to him and say, youve got a portuguese drivers license, you cant pay a fine on that here. Youll have to get it converted to a British license and then you can pay your fine and well put the points on your license.

Needless to say he thought, frigg that, ive got a full year yet before i have to get my license converted and as said above, these things run out after 6 months. Have to laugh at the number of stupid loopholes in the system really.

I got caught speeding by a police van with the camera looking out the back in Altens last December but due to me driving a company car it was a month before i was contacted. Being an honest citizen i sent in the initial reply saying that i was the driver on this occasion.

However, when i received the second letter a few weeks later asking me for a cheque for

Edited by MMG

Guest rocket_scientist
If you don't believe me, it's your hard cheese.

Then bleat about it if you think I'm telling fibs.

Fibs? Hard cheese?

I swear that this must be the language of a Beano or Dandy enthusiast?

I got caught speeding by a police van with the camera looking out the back in Altens last December but due to me driving a company car it was a month before i was contacted. Being an honest citizen i sent in the initial reply saying that i was the driver on this occasion.

However, when i received the second letter a few weeks later asking me for a cheque for

it was on laurencekirk or something?

i went on the nescamp site and theres an announcement saying thats only recently been dropped from 60 to 50 after campaigns by locals...b*stards!!!!!!

i was doing 63 in what i thought was a 60 zone (and was only a matter of weeks ago), im a safe driver generally and not mental with speed and i GENUINELY cant recall seeing a sign saying it was only a 50 zone...f(_)ckin ragin

Lots of massive signs indicating 50mph and even have electronic boards that flash slow down if you are speeding at that junction

Would that be the bit of road where there would be the 3 countdown to 50mph sign, a 50 mph sign, another one which tells you is you're going to fast (albeit it's sometimes switched off) before you reach the speed camara?

Were you wanking over a picture of Lee Miller when you were driving through that section? :applause:

As far as I can remember, it's never been a 60 anyway, it was reduced to 50 from 70. I don't know how anyone can get done on the A90 anyway, all the speed cameras can be seen well enough in advance apart from the one on the northbound side behind a sign for Inverbervie.

As far as I can remember, it's never been a 60 anyway, it was reduced to 50 from 70. I don't know how anyone can get done on the A90 anyway, all the speed cameras can be seen well enough in advance apart from the one on the northbound side behind a sign for Inverbervie.

And I'm sure most of the speed cameras only go off if you fly past them at anything above 78mph.

Apparently anyway.

well it was quoted as 63 i was doing

the nescamp site says 90% of people caught "speeding" there were all going less than 70mph which would tend to suggest im not alone in not noticing it was a 50 area...

Probably more to do with when you slow to 50 on a main road after sitting at 70/80 it feels far too slow!!

well it was quoted as 63 i was doing

the nescamp site says 90% of people caught "speeding" there were all going less than 70mph which would tend to suggest im not alone in not noticing it was a 50 area...

Aye, 10 people have been caught.

Pay your fine and behave in future. :hysterical:

och, do i have to!?!?

its more the fact its going to put my insurance up that im ragin!

Silly boy!

I've been done speeding and I could have kicked my own arse after I was caught. :hysterical:

Sign in to follow this