Sir Andy Murray

Guest SS RED

Agreed. At only 21, he is already a better player than Henman and Rusedski EVER were. When you consider that Rusedski reached the US Open Final and Henman reached four Wimbledon semi's (also in a tougher era where there were FAR more world-class players outside the top 3 or 4), I think it's fair to say that he will get several opportunities to win Grand Slam titles. Whether he takes those chances or not though (or ends up as a perennial bottler, like Henman), is another matter.

He is every inch a winner. It's possible he will become a bottler but I doubt it.

Look forward to him winning his first major tournament and it not even registering with the English media. Unfortunately for Murray he doesn't tick the right boxes for a famous British sportsman:

Loser? NO

Plucky? NO

English? NO

Underachiever? NO

Distracted from winning by media attention? NO

Posh accent? NO

He is every inch a winner. It's possible he will become a bottler but I doubt it.

Look forward to him winning his first major tournament and it not even registering with the English media. Unfortunately for Murray he doesn't tick the right boxes for a famous British sportsman:

Loser? NO

Plucky? NO

English? NO

Underachiever? NO

Distracted from winning by media attention? NO

Posh accent? NO

Good points. Well said.

I imagine if Murray can semi the end of season masters and hoping Djokovic does poorly in the Australian and loses loads of points and Murray gets to at least the semis he can bridge the gap!

AT the Australian Open Murray really only needs both he and Djokovic to reach the semis (as would be suggested by their ranking) to create a 995 point swing in the rankings - Murray gains 445 and Djoko loses 550. That would narrow the gap to little over a 100 points which ANdy could easily make up in the last 2 tournaments of this season where he is defending virtually no ranking points.

• 2 weeks later...