Friends Of Jimmy Calderwood

Dons dismiss Atletico link

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood has warned Zander Diamond to bide his time after Atletico Madrid became the latest big club to express an interest.

Former Dons striker Charlie Nicholas claims that the Spanish club canvassed his opinion about the young defender.

But Calderwood said: "Big Zander would probably die during the warm-up in Spain, he's so pale.

"It is great to see him linked with big clubs, but he has a lot still to learn about this game."

Scotland Under-21 captain Diamond is currently injured and Calderwood will hope that up to six weeks out of action might reduce the hype surrounding his young prot

Arsene Wenger has floated the idea of awarding a bonus point to teams who win by more than three goals. I've met the Frenchman and he's a very intelligent man but he's talking from a position of strength at Highbury.

If he was down at the bottom, without the same quality to hand,would he be putting forward the same proposition? I don't think so.

Takes one to know one! :poster_oops::o:laughing:

So this is were he got the idae for letting the players oot on the p!ss all the time

So there we were, walking through the red-light district in Amsterdam the night before a European Cup semi-final, looking at the girls in the shop windows.
OMG what an article! http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/article827848.ece

May not all be classed as friends but mentioned by name as having met are the following:

Kenny Burns, Martion O'Neill, John Robertson, Trevor Francis, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly , Larry Lloyd, Jock Stein, Denis Law, Johan Cruyff, Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten

Words fail me

Good find!

Heroes' Heroes: Dunfermline manager Jimmy Calderwood on Brian Clough

VERY few people ever forget their first meeting with Brian Clough. My own encounter is especially memorable, as it occurred in Amsterdam

Guest SS RED

May not all be classed as friends but mentioned by name as having met are the following:

Kenny Burns, Martion O'Neill, John Robertson, Peter Shilton, Trevor Francis, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly , Larry Lloyd, Jock Stein, Denis Law, Johan Cruyff, Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten

Words fail me

f**king brilliant, that must be some sort of name dropping world record.

Kenny Burns, Martion O'Neill, John Robertson, Peter Shilton, Trevor Francis, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly , Larry Lloyd, Jock Stein, Denis Law, Johan Cruyff, Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten

Words fail me

EPIC name dropping. I am lost for words too!

Calderwood thanks son for Snoyl

Hearts 1-2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood revealed his son had recommended Ferne Snoyl, the substitute Dutchman having turned the game against Hearts.

Snoyl, 20, on loan from Feyenoord, helped the Dons to a 2-1 victory.

"I got put in touch with him by an agent friend of mine, who is now a very good friend of mine," said Calderwood.

"My son also tipped me off about him. He took a wage cut to come here and I have to thank Ronald Koeman and Wim Jansen for allowing him to come."

Jim McLean's column:

ABERDEEN fans won't realise what they've got until Jimmy Calderwood leaves Pittodrie - and that's the best manager since Alex Ferguson.

The criticism Jimmy has received from a large and vocal section of Dons fans since he took over at the club four years ago has never ceased to amaze me.

He must be fed up hearing it, just as Kris Boyd must be fed up hearing me mump and moan about how he can become a better player.

In the week in which Jimmy has overseen a 4-2 defeat of champions Celtic to take his side third in the SPL he was linked with the managerial posts at Norwich and Utrecht.

The reason he is being mentioned for those jobs is a result of the evidence some Aberdeen fans still refuse to accept.

Jimmy's managerial record since his return to Scottish football almost a decade ago is the most convincing argument for his talents as a coach.

He took Dunfermline back into the SPL within six months of accepting the job at East End Park and the following season they failed to make the top six only on the last day before the split.

The club have never been out of the top six since.

Jimmy took the Pars to fourth in 2005 and into the Scottish Cup Final for the first time in 35 years before leading Aberdeen to third place and into the last 32 in Europe for the first time since 1986.

Don't just take my word for it - Jimmy is rated so highly the great Rinus Michels, godfather of Dutch football, used to pop his head over the fence at Nijmegen to watch him put his players through their paces, so impressed was he by his coaching methods.

Another cracker:

Jan 18 2009 Mark Guidi

Aberdeen V Celtic Today, Kick-Off 2pm Live On Setanta

JIMMY CALDERWOOD was used to having his tactics and training methods questioned daily as a gaffer in Holland.

Bert Konterman was the main moaner to get on Caldo's nerves and he had umpteen bust-ups with the former Rangers defender.

Now Jimmy would love to see his Aberdeen players take a leaf out of Konterman's book and tell him exactly where they think he has gone wrong.

He reckons that would help their challenge for third spot in the SPL which starts today at home to Celtic in the live Setanta clash.

Dons are in fourth place just two points behind Dundee United.

Calderwood, 53, said: "We're going well and I can't fault recent results and performances.

Barneys "I know we can keep improving because I put demands on them and don't accept sh***.

"On the park they are still learning but off it I wouldn't mind if they were more opinionated.

"We meet every Monday to talk over our weekend game and I throw the floor open.

"Nobody is perfect and if players feel I have messed up I'm willing to listen. I want them to speak up but it's not the way in this country.

"Too many sit staring at the floor. Yet a few will have something worthwhile to say. We just don't get to hear it often enough."

Calderwood knows from his playing days that letting off steam can be good for a team.

He said: "When I was at Birmingham City we had barneys every week. We had players such as Kenny Burns, Frank Worthington and Trevor Francis. Fists would fly and voices were raised.

"In Holland they like to get things off their chest. I had Konterman at three clubs - he questioned everything.

"He's a clever big boy and rarely agreed with anything we were doing in training. We'd have stand-up rows.

"I eventually told him we're doing it because I'm the f****** gaffer and that's all that matters!"

That said, Calderwood loves Holland and the Dutch mentality.

He joined Sparta Rotterdam on loan from Birmingham in 1979.

He thought he'd be there for just two months but stayed 20 years, playing for Willem II, Roda and Heracles then managing Willem II and NEC Nijmegen.

Jimmy has turned down at least two opportunities to return to Holland in the past five years and was this week touted as a target for Utrecht.

He smiled: "You never know what will happen but right now I'm happy at Pittodrie. Holland appeals and my kids still live there. It's a great country to work and live in.

"My debut there was for Sparta against Feyenoord and Wim van Hanegem smashed an elbow in my face inside five minutes.

"I loved my time there and met wonderful people. Rinus Michels was one of my favourites. He took a shine to me and put me through my coaching badges."

The time served in Holland helped Calderwood bring success to Dunfermline then Aberdeen.

He took them to the last 32 of the UEFA Cup last season and felt his finest moment came against Dnipro when Dons drew 1-1 in Ukraine to progress on away goals.

The result helped Jimmy land a new three-and-a-half year contract and he said: "Dnipro away has been my most pleasing game since I came here.

"When we arrived in 2004 the place was in turmoil. Everybody walked about with a long face and I hate that. We had it sorted within two weeks.

"This is a smashing club and to be manager so long must make me the longest serving boss here since the great man at Old Trafford. As he would say 'We're very proud of that achievement."

35 and counting! Can anyone confirm this is the definitive list at present

Rinus Michels

Martin Jol

Michael Laudrup

Walter Smith

Jaap Stam

Sami Hyppia

Paul Sturrock

Frank Arnesen

John Hughes

Brian Rice

Guus Hiddink

Johan Neeskens

Arsene Wenger

Ricky Sbragia

Martin O'Neil

Win Van Hanegem

Gary Pendrey

Alan Curbishley

Kenny Burns

John Robertson

Peter Shilton

Trevor Francis

Brian Clough

Bill Shankly

Larry Lloyd

Jock Stein

Denis Law

Johan Cruyff

Ruud Gullit

Marco Van Basten

Ronald Koeman

Wim Jansen

Frank Worthington

Bert Konterman

Leo Beenhakker

36 if you include the disputed claim of Mark Van Bommell - this is getting ridiculous......still hilarious though :thumbs:

35 and counting! Can anyone confirm this is the definitive list at present

Rinus Michels

Martin Jol

Michael Laudrup

Walter Smith

Jaap Stam

Sami Hyppia

Paul Sturrock

Frank Arnesen

John Hughes

Brian Rice

Guus Hiddink

Johan Neeskens

Arsene Wenger

Ricky Sbragia

Martin O'Neil

Win Van Hanegem

Gary Pendrey

Alan Curbishley

Kenny Burns

John Robertson

Peter Shilton

Trevor Francis

Brian Clough

Bill Shankly

Larry Lloyd

Jock Stein

Denis Law

Johan Cruyff

Ruud Gullit

Marco Van Basten

Ronald Koeman

Wim Jansen

Frank Worthington

Bert Konterman

Leo Beenhakker

36 if you include the disputed claim of Mark Van Bommell - this is getting ridiculous......still hilarious though :thumbs:

I'll compile the names later tonight.... might have to eliminate some names from the Brian Clough article - I'm undecided whether Kenny Burns counts - I felt Calderwood insinuated they were pals, but I can't be certain. There must be some sort of evidence of friendship/aquaintance to qualify - I'm not going to included name dropping within the definitive list. Mark Van Bommel will be also be eliminated this evening, unless someone can come up with a more definitive quote.

Also, have about 4 or 5 other names that I'll add to this list later, when I've got a chance. In the mean time, feel free to submit any further candidates.

Even JC hasnt climbed that far up the social ladder :thumbs:

LOL!

He would need to get his act together before he would be allowed an audience with LondonScottish.

He's welcome to buy me a pint though - useless fat B8stard that he is / was.

Hopefully Charlie Allan would be there and the glass would be easily swept up.