Friends Of Jimmy Calderwood

He knows Dick Advocaat and Garry O'Connor as well:

RUSSIANS HAVE SCARED MY EURO FRIENDS AWAY !

Jimmy Calderwood

Tuesday November 6,2007

By Ian Broadley

Have your say(0)

Jimmy Calderwood has been blanked by Guus Hiddink and Dick Advocaat in his bid to enlist their help in Aberdeen’s European campaign.

The Dons boss has even been snubbed by Scotland striker Garry O’Connor to get the lowdown on his former team Lokomotiv Moscow ahead of Thursday’s UEFA Cup in Group B.

Calderwood is convinced he’s met with an Iron Curtain of silence because Hiddink, Russia’s national coach, and Advocaat, who is in charge of title-challenging Zenit St Petersburg, are afraid of being seen as double agents in helping the Pittodrie side.

"I hate it when I can’t assess the opposition myself and didn’t get the chance to go to Moscow because of our hectic schedule," Calderwood admitted.

"I know both Guus and Dick well from my time in Holland. I’ve tried to get in touch with them but neither is answering my calls.

"I think I know why as there is a fear that of being named in the Russian press that they are assisting Aberdeen when they have to work there. A Russian mafia guy just might come after them so I’ve lost a couple of mates thanks to the media.

"I tried Garry as well because he played with Lokomitiv. I left a message but no luck there either. However, our youth coach Neil Copper watched Lokomotiv and we also have a few tapes to look at so we will be ready.

"They will be very similar to the Dnipro team we knocked out to reach this stage. Most Russian teams are good on the ball, and quick on the counter-attack.

"I don’t know if they have the same quality as the Ukrainians who were a wonderful side, capable of going all the way in the competition.

"We will have to produce that standard of performance to beat the Russians because with all due to respect to Dundee United, Dnipro are a far better side.

"Tactically, the players followed orders in terms of the tactics which was crucial against such quality. The important thing is that we are at home and while you might get through with four points we really need to win this match after losing in Greece.

"Winning both home games would be the easiest way to progress and we’ll give it our best shot to progress further.

"Beating Lokomotiv would ease the pressure a bit for the last two games knowing that you already had three points in the bag because anything we get in Madrid will be a bonus."

And Eugene Gerards whoever he is:

Their campaign will begin in Athens on October 25 and Calderwood will call upon Eugene Gerards, his former manager with the Dutch club Roda, and now based in Greece, for an update on the Panathinaikos squad.

"Eugene managed Crete for five years in the Greek super league and still lives there," said Calderwood, "so I'll be seeking his knowledge of the Panathinaikos side while Dick Advocaat, who manages St Petersburg, and Guus Hiddink, the Russia coach, whom I both know from my time in Holland, will be asked for information about Lokomotiv Moscow."

Been through that one already as I allluded to in my last post:

UPDATE: Mark Van Bommel replaced by Chic Young. Kenny Burns included from times article, as Jimmy Calderwood alludes he went out to meet up with Kenny and some of the lads - some uncertainty over which other lads, in the group, he was friends with. Brian Clough thought Jimmy Calderwood was a reporter, so Cloughie also misses the cut.

Dick Advocaat is good new find though....

Not got anything new but a few more quotes.

"I've pitted my wits against Louis van Gaal and Johan Cruyff and, given the lifespan of the average manager today, I've had a fair run by lasting four and a half years at Aberdeen."

"Walter Smith once told me he became a better manager for taking a time-out after he left Everton and before he took the Scotland job."

• 4 weeks later...

27/06/09 - The Sun

The 54-year-old then took the Dons into the last 32 of the UEFA Cup and to regular SPL top-six finishes.

But he paid the price for failing to bring silverware back to Pittodrie.

Now he's calling some old pals as he and No2 Nicholl look to broaden horizons and land a new job.

Calderwood revealed: "We are hoping to go to some big clubs and learn some more.

"I have spoken to Sir Alex Ferguson about going down to Manchester United.

"Louis van Gaal, who I played with in Holland, has just got the Bayern Munich job. Myself and Jimmy hope to go over there too.

"We'd like to go and watch Inter and AC Milan train.

"We would like to go to Spain and watch Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"Maybe we'll go to Arsenal too. Two or three days here and there would be brilliant for our learning process.

"We will see how the big boys do it."

• 2 years later...

Was there anything more predictable in Scottish Football than this news story a few days ago...

BBC

Jimmy Calderwood fears the Scottish FA's new performance director Mark Wotte may struggle to make an impact without a large increase in funding.

The former Dunfermline and Aberdeen boss knows Wotte from his coaching days in the Netherlands.

"Mark is a very conscientious lad," Calderwood told BBC Scotland. "He knows the Dutch way inside and out.

"There is a lot wrong at grassroots level in Scotland and so much of that is down to finances."

Calderwood, who managed Dutch clubs Willem II and NEC Nijmegen, is also stressing that there will be no quick fix for Scotland.

"If he can get things done, then fabulous," added the 56-year-old. "But he's going to have to knock down a few walls first, I think.

"The Dutch get most things right. Up until the age of nine or 10 we can match them but something goes wrong after that.

"There are a lot of good coaches in Scotland that maybe don't get the chance because it's all about winning. I don't think the Dutch see it like that.

"I was watching my grandson playing in Holland and the facilities were incredible. Every kid has a ball. The more touches of the ball you get, the better you're going to be, it's quite simple.

"We're losing a lot of kids because we don't have indoor facilities and a lot of youth clubs just don't have the finances.

"In Norway, I think they have 50 indoor facilities. That's always been a massive problem for us."

Just read this thread from the start, classic. :hysterical:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...