• Admin
3 hours ago, styrofoamplates said:

I read a fair bit. Probably more than I watch TV. Depends on the mood, but like a mix of fiction and non-fiction. 

Even though I listen to a lot of podcasts, I have never been able to get into audiobooks. Just don't appeal. 

But I also said I'd never get a Kindle as I liked the feel of a proper book. 

Since I got my Kindle about four years ago I haven't paid for a book since. All available free on the interweb. Magic! 

I have a hard time retaining and absorbing what i've read from digital books. Physical books no bother, but the moment it's digitised i have fuck all recall.

Certainly much cheaper though!

• 4 weeks later...

Finished this last night: 'NITRO: The Incredible Rise and Inevitable Collapse of Ted Turner's WCW'

414IZbyU7AL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cracking read if you were into wrestling and the Monday Night Wars at that time. 

But also insightful in terms of business.You spunk a load of money to chase success and get it over the competition. But then you overspend, take your eye off the ball and the product turns shit, meaning your competitor can overtake you and then buy you and put you out of business. 

Also the cover is a cracking photo of Morag tossing Tup's salad. 

Bought a Kindle years ago but it rarely gets used these days. Was useful when I was commuting up and down the railways but since then just preferred the real paper and ink deal.

Im not the speediest of readers but probably get through a couple of books a month. mostly historical fiction/non-fiction or sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

Just about to get stuck into a few Alistair Maclean novels (Where Eagles Dare, Guns of Navarone..)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started "The way of all flesh" by Ambrose Parry which is a pseudonym for a joint collaboration between Christopher Brookmyer and his wife Marisa Haetzman.

Set in Edinburgh in 1840 around medicine and murder. So far so good.

Aberdeen city features in a lot of his standalone books in the Jack Parlabane series and it's not overly positive either!

• 4 weeks later...