Paul Lawrie's Corner

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
18 hours ago, G-rocket said:

The best Scottish golfer in my lifetime?

No question. Paul Lawrie, and that's not me being biased. Yes we know Monty won 8 x OoM's including 7 in a row. Yes we know Lyle won two majors (and was undoubtedly the most gifted of ball-strikers) but like Hogan, Paul dug his swing and his success "out of the dirt".

He gets my vote because he deserved it. He had a work ethic, upon which he built a phenomenal attitude and results to go with it. 

Just lol.

Lawrie did well, no question of that. But simply not in the same category as Colin Montgomery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, rocket_scientist said:

You mean Montgomerie?

I bet he would trade his titles for one major.

Ah sorry about the spelling mistake there mr nazi spelling police.

Being judged on majors should not be the be all and end all. Colin Montgomerie proved his abilities and qualities beyond any reasonable doubt during his career, in many various aspects of the game. He was in the cauldron at majors coming down the stretch but through no real fault of his own didn’t manage to win. The guy was a fantastic golfer and i can’t ever see anyone ever winning 7 order of merits in consecutive years. That alone is a much greater achievement than managing to fire on all cylinders for 4-5 days to win a major, never mind everything else he achieved.

There are quite a large number of major winners, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton et al that have proved that being a top player is not a pre requisite to winning a major.

Great admirer of Lawrie, does a lot for the game at grass roots level since stepping back from the top level. Bit of a stretch to call him the best Scottish golfer of our generation though. Monty, Lyle, Torrance then Oor Paul for me.

Today's generation don't have much homegrown talent to get inspired by, certainly no-one that stands out from the crowd.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

Announced his retirement yesterday . Great servant to the game Paul , you'll be able to take in more dons games now . Will keep an eye on you in the seniors tour , enjoy 

Hopefully have some time on his hands to get back posting on here.

Be interesting to hear his thoughts on Coronavirus.