Where Are They Now

18 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Yes and an indictment of the managers appointed by Milne, all of whom are so bad at their jobs that they know fuck all about goalkeeping.

Tbh I used to think that Langfield was probably the best we could do. 

But my view was blinkered by the fact that the players that we signed to compete with him were fucking hopeless - Soutar, Brown (Jason and Scott), Howard etc. All fucking hopeless. It didn't help that the people on this site who were quite rightly trying to tell me and others that we could do better than Langfield, were also quite wrongly trying to claim that shite like Derek Soutar and Mark Howard were better - probably a sign of their frustration but so ridiculous that it undermined their original point of being able to do better than Langfield. 

We also had a dearth of shite in the Scottish league at the time - Makalamby a Belgian International and Scott Fox a Scottish International!!! That these players were internationals only served to elevate Langfield's because he was better than them (but that's not saying much). 

But ultimately it is the managers fault, as they did not strive for better.  OK it took McInnes a year or two, but he did get there. But its not just the goalkeeping, he has always looked to improve across the park.  Whereas previous managers didn't seem to bother, as long as the players were good to have around the place. 

25 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Also felt it had a lot to do with our horizons at that time.  For "best we could do" read "good enough for solid second to fourth."

Ambition realised in that respect.  

This ^^^^^^

Any ambitions we had were strictly limited by our budget (and if we are being really honest, still are). Langfield, as others have said, was simply the best we could do whilst complying with that budget. And McInnes correctly dealt with other more pressing needs sorting out the quality of the outfield players....Langfield, whilst everyone here would agree was no world-beater, he was also nowhere near the worst goalkeeper ever to play the game and nowhere near the worst ever to represent us specifically.

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Of every keeper who played a minimum of one whole season, Langfield was the worst in the seven decades I saw football at Pittodrie by a big margin.

On another subject how do you feel about Scott Wright now @Ten Caat , a footballer you wrote off after a preposterously few number of starts and someone we argued over frequently?

See my post on another thread

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Of every keeper who played a minimum of one whole season, Langfield was the worst in the seven decades I saw football at Pittodrie by a big margin.

On another subject how do you feel about Scott Wright now @Ten Caat , a footballer you wrote off after a preposterously few number of starts and someone we argued over frequently?

Not answering for Ten Caat, but he's not the only one who wrote off Wright.

I did too, as he never seemed to seize his opportunities and seemed to lack the physical requirements to compete in the top division. However he's came back from his latest injury setback and his performances are very encouraging. Which makes me very happy that he's making me eat my words. Long may that continue. 

Partick Thistle have named three men's first-team players as the new coaching team for their women's side.

Brian Graham has taken over as manager as well as doubling up as a striker for the Scottish League One club.

Defender Richard Foster will be his assistant, while Thistle midfielder Ross Docherty will become a coach

Deary me. 

1 hour ago, redwhitegold said:

He was awful far more times than he was good for AFC.

Garbage.

There were times where he single handedly won us points, and times where he single handedly lost us them.

He was by no means a great keeper, and we should have been aiming to do better at the time, but he wasn’t as bad as is continually made out by some on here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
11 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

THREE coaches for an enterprise that is impossible to generate profit in?

Bizarre. There must be some sports funding or equality funding or whatever in place to kick start something that insufficient people will ever pay money to go and watch. 

I remember a long-standing AFC coach going mental when a handful of girls were admitted into the first intake of performance school pupils, as the SFA's funding for girls grassroots football was significantly higher than boys. 

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

As we suspected that it must've been funding that financed the 3 x Partick coaches, you've confirmed that there's been considerable wads of cash thrown at the female game. What I don't get is why?

Yes getting kids to do more exercise is always a good thing on many levels but it shouldn't take huge amounts. Nobody paid anyone anything when we were playing fitba 7 days a week every week in the 70's. It's free to do.

The biggest reason why we can't afford to throw the contents of deep pockets at the female game - in the UK at least -  is that it's commercially unviable. The beautiful game is shit when played by them. 

Exhibit A https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/54043838

9 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And so nearly fucked it for us about 85 mins or so in the final when Anderson bailed him out off a routine catch.  A classic clanger in fact.  99% of what he did was fine. 

99% is vastly over generous. Unless you are counting standing roughly in the middle of the goals towards that percentage. 

No, I just meant he had the Ash Taylor (of old) gene where its not like he was consistently shite.  More often than not you were pleasantly surprised and then, out of nothing, with the boys doing the business on the field (ie manfully trying to manage a game out) CLANG.  And of course towards the end the opposition had him completely sussed.

To pinch a comparison from the Leighton thread.  Minute to go Real Madrid - the famous free kick double take where Peter Weir allegedly prayed.  The half full lads are giving it "Come on Jim - see it out."  The half empty lads of which MT assures us there are several are thinking "This will have to be good to beat Jim, but these spanish cunts are arite and the conditions are dreadful." 

Compare to the 2nd place decider, Motherwell winning the freekick on the half way line.  What were we all to a man and woman thinking? 

Here we go (and not in a pleasant fun 83 chant way!) 

I dont have the absolute hatred for him of some.  He's just another Calderwood.  Outstayed his worth to us by at least a season if not two.