Where Are They Now

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Stephen Payne was the new Beckham 

That was a classic. Played about 3 games and released. Football cliche thread 

I remember seeing him on a match day in his tracksuit just kicking about on the beachfront, I was about 14. It was just after the beckham praise and he was out of the squad already. 

I remember thinking he was rubbish 

Edit, he must be nearly 40, fuck! 

Mind seeing Payne and Morrison playing the same game at fullback and thinking we had a couple of players.

Definitely shitfaced.

Bagshaw - scored a million goals at u18, none after that. Big in o&g last i heard. Funny how these ex-fitba players just fall into an o&g career (not including the recent batch of ando/reynolds/logan who’ve studied for it)

4 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Mind seeing Payne and Morrison playing the same game at fullback and thinking we had a couple of players.

Definitely shitfaced.

Bagshaw - scored a million goals at u18, none after that. Big in o&g last i heard. Funny how these ex-fitba players just fall into an o&g career (not including the recent batch of ando/reynolds/logan who’ve studied for it)

Fine pair of hair dos on them too.

I mind Payne having one good game away to Dundee. Think he put in a few crosses and the Beckham comparison came out after that match... then he was terrible.

Morrison had quite a few good games. We've seen worse full backs. Pretty sure we ditched him and replaced him with Byrne...

Don't think I ever actually saw Bagshaw. I'm sure he was getting Wayne Rooney comparisons cause he was gonna burst onto the scene at 16.... Mackie defo got the Owen comparison from Ebbe

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Fine pair of hair dos on them too.

I mind Payne having one good game away to Dundee. Think he put in a few crosses and the Beckham comparison came out after that match... then he was terrible.

Morrison had quite a few good games. We've seen worse full backs. Pretty sure we ditched him and replaced him with Byrne...

Don't think I ever actually saw Bagshaw. I'm sure he was getting Wayne Rooney comparisons cause he was gonna burst onto the scene at 16.... Mackie defo got the Owen comparison from Ebbe

The Payne-Beckham comparison came from Steve Paterson after the new year's game against the tims in 2003. He put in a great cross to Darren Mackie when it was 1-1 at the paddock end only for the great man to fuck it up. 

What was the name of Cilla Black's show with Gordon Burns, and Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog again?

• Downvote 1

Are you arguing that Miller doesn't know a thing or two about defending, Simmie or Robson were kind of handy in midfield and Mcghee knew what the sticky thing with the nets attached was for?

Are you arguing that Miller knew fuck all about arithmetic, Robson couldn't spell arithmetic and Mcghee and PR, well enough said.

Or are you just arguing?

* Notice Im not using the Jim Leighton school of goalkeeper recruitment in my supposition right enough!

1 minute ago, Millertime said:

I'm saying simply

1) do you think that with them being managers, they would want to accept coach roles 

B) even if they did, they would command manager wages, so I'll say it again, why would we want to do that or even be able to 

:spanner:

1/ Why I started with "interesting he's taken an assistant role"

B?/ All of the examples I gave did not command manager salaries, at least not for very long.

Not being arsey.  It was a genuine question albeit I know the answer in so far as no, unlike America, it just doesn't happen here.  Do the individuals involved believe their own hype to the extent that they wont simply be an assistant coach?  Aitken, Miller, Malpas, Hegarty, list is endless  Even after they've crashed and burned in a hot seat.  Only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Weir at the hun and he didnt last long either.  Seems to be common knowledge that  McAllister is Gerrard's token scot with the real brain being the other Liverpool lad whos name Ive forgotton and cant be arsed looking up.