Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

In a complete random story I was in Kiev with work and there was some sort of car shit going on with folk showing off with their fancy cars. Cannonball run style in the the Hyatt.

I was just in the hotel bar and ended up getting interviewed on tv with Tony Hawk (skateboarder) Just played along, fuck knows who the Ukrainians think I am.

11 hours ago, Poodler said:

Mind Elementz the skate shop? 

Was it ever on Gaelic Lane, where the coffee house is now? About 15 years ago? 

It was behind Markies at somepoint wasn't it? 

Elementz was on Gaelic lane to start with then moved to union street where CEX is now I think.

1 hour ago, styrofoamplates said:

It was definitely behind Markies at one point. 

Was it not above Fopp and then Fopp took the space and went on two floors? 

There was also a skate shop on Gaelic Lane, think it was Elementz. I remember buying a Aem'Kei jumper out of there around 1999. 

Borderline was the shop beside Markies.

6 minutes ago, Fridge said:

In a complete random story I was in Kiev with work and there was some sort of car shit going on with folk showing off with their fancy cars. Cannonball run style in the the Hyatt.

I was just in the hotel bar and ended up getting interviewed on tv with Tony Hawk (skateboarder) Just played along, fuck knows who the Ukrainians think I am.

Haha that clip is on YouTube . Total ledge Frigo. 

2 hours ago, minijc said:

Elementz was on Gaelic lane to start with then moved to union street where CEX is now I think.

Borderline was the shop beside Markies.

Ah that was it! Cheers Mini! 

Was upstairs Fopp next to Bordeline? Accessed through the wee lane (was it called McCrombies Court or something?)

Now I think about it, upstairs Fopp was narrow and the stairs went down to the larger area. 

7 hours ago, styrofoamplates said:

A good bit before that I think. I remember buying 'Different Class' by Pulp in the upstairs of Fopp when it just came out. That was 1995.

(I remember clearly, because it was 9.99 and I gave the guy a tenner and he gave me change of a twenty. Fucking great score when you are 14!)

Fopp was a brilliant shop back in the day before it became the hmv bargain store 

10 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Very true. Don't know if anyone remembers Tower Records in Glasgow but that was tremendous. The amount of dough I spent in that place over the years. 

Yeah that Tower Records store was something else. 

Aberdeen used to be full of record stores. You could spend a day browsing. 

The old hmv, virgin, couple of One Ups, Bruce Millers, the section in John Menzies, there was even a wee record shop on Holburn Street which had a lot of rare stuff, it's name escapes me now. 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah that Tower Records store was something else. 

Aberdeen used to be full of record stores. You could spend a day browsing. 

The old hmv, virgin, couple of One Ups, Bruce Millers, the section in John Menzies, there was even a wee record shop on Holburn Street which had a lot of rare stuff, it's name escapes me now. 

Don't forget Our Price

39 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Fopp was a brilliant shop back in the day before it became the hmv bargain store 

Yip loved Fopp. Always a big table of random £3-£5 a pop albums/books. Great for a skint student, curious about everything on there, but too skint to buy blind, full price (pre-internet days) And you could smoke tabs in there.

2nd hand vinyl bit downstairs at One Up was ace aswell.