Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

Guest milne_afc
7 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Absolutely min. One in Ten is a banger.

I was being sarcastic btw with my reggae comment (The Police where a decent pop band but never reggae)

My favourite UB40 tune..

Good one SR

Guest the shepherd
2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Specials were more ska influenced. UB40 were pop reggae hybrid cross. Real reggae music is totally different gravy. 

Fair enough min. Some genres of music such as reggae, ska and calypso I cannot distinguish between, but as long as the music does the business and provides therapy, that'll do for me. 

UB40, The Specials, Colourfield.... just some of the bands that were influenced by reggae to some degree and equally as good as each other. 

Guest the shepherd
19 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Absolutely min. One in Ten is a banger.

I was being sarcastic btw with my reggae comment (The Police where a decent pop band but never reggae)

My favourite UB40 tune..

Excellent tune, Simply min?. Pure and simplistic music with lyrics of meaning. 

21 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Only reggae I enjoy is the dub stuff by Lee Scratch Perry,King Tubby etc. 

Recommend Burning Spear' marcus garvey LP which should come with the dub version on it aswell which is fucking marvellous.

Lee Scratch gig in Abz has been cancelled twice now with this covid carry-on. Postponed till March 2021 now. 

Guest the shepherd
37 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Any of the Studio 1 or Trojan comps are pretty much solid gold if you're looking for reggae. Theyve broken it down into era's and its various categories like RS mentioned. Always thought it was criminal that UB40 got so big and Steel Pulse where left in the shade. 

Quality range of clothing as well. 

Guest the shepherd
4 hours ago, redstrummer said:

The Specials are Ska / two tone not reggae 

Fair enough min. Like I say, I find it difficult to determine what is ska, reggae, and calypso as they seem to have evolved from similar sources, although there is a debate whether ska/reggae originated in Jamaica, Algeria or Aberdeen (@manboobs109 ?). 

57 minutes ago, the shepherd said:

Fair enough min. Like I say, I find it difficult to determine what is ska, reggae, and calypso as they seem to have evolved from similar sources, although there is a debate whether ska/reggae originated in Jamaica, Algeria or Aberdeen (@manboobs109 ?). 

calypsos an ice lolly Shep  min

Guest the shepherd
6 minutes ago, Bluto10 said:

calypsos an ice lolly Shep  min

Never knew that until I checked just now that you get them from Iceland supermarket min. Liked a 55p Calippo back in the day. Oh fuck aye.

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Not in most of their earliest stuff but definitely on some of their later stuff. Loved the Clash. One of my all time favourites. Joe Strummer went awol the day they were going to be playing Fusion in Aberdeen. 

They did have 'Police and Thieves' on their first album , RS. 

Anyways.., Sandinista! will be getting an airing this evening.