Sevco Thread

21 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

If it hadn't been Britain it would have been France or Spain or Portugal or whoever so no point in fretting about it.

Don't read of the Italians apologising like fuck for the Roman Empire and all the slaves they took from the countries they conquered or the Scandanavians for the mass killings, looting and raping the Vikings inflicted on lots of different countries do we.

Aye but the Scandinavians and the Italians aren't still doing it. 

We don't have a heap of Norwegians trying to lord it over neighbouring countries sneering at and deriding the native cultures and languages, whilst convincing some of the more ignorant locals to join in by telling them its not Norwegian nationalism it's "Scandinavian" and we're all Scandinavian after all. 

Don't need England to apologise for the British empire, just need them to stop trying to impose their nationalism on countries that aren't England. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, red kelly said:

you'll be telling us the earths not flat next.
are you saying the zeitgeist has not changed?
 you don't see the germans, the japs, the scandinavians,mongolians,italians etc beating themselves up, when we as a people  created the magna carta,the industrial revolution, the engineering ,the science ,medicine ,arts etc of which scots played a massive part in the modern world.
today's constant  flagellation is becoming unbearable at times
maybe jumped the gun here, though it does seem to be a popular trait amongst millenials these days to swim in a sea of masochism.

strange times we live in.

yes FTQ. 

The Scots were the good guys of course

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They were  often cunts tbh. 

However it's the Brits and English who largely maintain, to this day, a sense of superiority and exceptionalism. 

Scots, IMO, are typically self-deprecating and put ourselves down more than we should. 

Partly true. 

Although, among SNP fanatics there are a lot of revisionist historians who forget the part Scotland played in things like the slave trade. Many nationalists also think we are this inclusive country who welcome all creeds in with open arms, which is also nonsense. 

We do have have a servile mentality in this country however, especially with the staunch unionists. Desperate to be governed by England and the glorious monarchy. They base their whole personality around it as well. 

12 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

. Many nationalists also think we are this inclusive country who welcome all creeds in with open arms, which is also nonsense.

I'll ignore the use of "nationalist" and the negative connotations it brings. 

We are a largely an inclusive country who does just that. I believe the majority of our population accepts people and wants to build a country of people who want to be here and who want to contribute. Why do you think it's "nonsense"? 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I'll ignore the use of "nationalist" and the negative connotations it brings. 

We are a largely an inclusive country who does just that. I believe the majority of our population accepts people and wants to build a country of people who want to be here and who want to contribute. Why do you think it's "nonsense"? 

Because it's untrue. That's a fairytale. We're maybe slightly more accepting than England but we're still wrought with xenophobia, racism etc. 

Christ you just have to look at the club we played today, an institution in this country, hugely bigoted. 

Look at the language on even this page, a fairly wide range of people posting, some of the racist nonsense. 

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Because it's untrue. That's a fairytale. We're maybe slightly more accepting than England but we're still wrought with xenophobia, racism etc. 

Christ you just have to look at the club we played today, an institution in this country, hugely bigoted. 

Look at the language on even this page, a fairly wide range of people posting, some of the racist nonsense. 

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong, however I don't thinks huns and this messageboard are good barometers of society at large. 

I agree there are problems with those issues in Scotland but I do not believe they're widespread. I think I interact and meet all types of people through my work and have a decent view on this. That might be not be correct though. I dunno. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong, however I don't thinks huns and this messageboard are good barometers of society at large. 

I agree there are problems with those issues in Scotland but I do not believe they're widespread. I think I interact and meet all types of people through my work and have a decent view on this. That might be not be correct though. I dunno. 

I dunno, mate. Could argue all day, I'm just weary of the revisionism and falsehoods on both sides of nationalist and unionist coins. 

For what it's worth, I believe in an independent Scotland, for reasons of democracy. Simultaneously, I'm weary of how dangerous nationalism can be. 

You see throughout the pandemic, everything Sturgeon has done has been scrutinised by unionists to the point where middle aged men were adamant she was getting a fuckin hair cut on the sly. At the same time, you've got nationalists defending and rationalising every policy decisions she's made, no matter how contradictory or questionable they've been. 

Anyway, in my view, Scotland isn't a particularly inclusive country. 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Although, among SNP fanatics there are a lot of revisionist historians who forget the part Scotland played in things like the slave trade. Many nationalists also think we are this inclusive country who welcome all creeds in with open arms, which is also nonsense. 

We do have have a servile mentality in this country however, especially with the staunch unionists. Desperate to be governed by England and the glorious monarchy. They base their whole personality around it as well. 

There you go.

There's your link. These are the same people down the generations.

Not difficult to work out.

1 minute ago, muttonhumper said:

There you go.

There's your link. These are the same people down the generations.

Not difficult to work out.

Nah, both unionists and nationalists forget about the slave trade link. 

The 'Brits' so to speak, downplay it entirely and should it be brought up, bemoan how long ago it was, despite it being hugely impactful in making the UK a wealthy country. The nationalists who are convinced we are a utopian inclusionary alternative to England, just straight up don't acknowledge things of that nature. 

Folk were chucking bananas at Walters in the 80's FFS. Plenty of those cunts still be kicking about today. Plenty of folk where I work bemoan immigration, supposed health tourism etc etc, haven't got a clue. A scoob. All sit and read the mail all day. 

The 'Brits' so to speak, downplay it entirely and should it be brought up, bemoan how long ago it was, despite it being hugely impactful in making the UK a wealthy country. The nationalists who are convinced we are a utopian inclusionary alternative to England, just straight up don't acknowledge things of that nature. 

Scots (if we can call the fawning, bootlicking fucks Scots) were introduced to the slave trade thus:

Following the union of parliaments in 1707, Scotland gained formal access to the transatlantic slave trade. 

Unfortunately there it is.

That path was initiated and dictated by the union.

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

The best (only?) way to get a handle of a place, the mood of it, the flavours of the people is pubs in my experience. There is open racism and bigotry in our modern Scotland, all over, to different degrees and on different targets.

yep i get very uncomfortable when i here racist comments from guys i'd call friends , usually in the pub 

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

More than the slave trade, I think the feudal system in Scotland's history engineered servility, submission and surrender in the souls of the compliant. 

I think we've came a long way from that , still there is very much a class system , however the working class has done better over the last 40 years 

11 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

The best (only?) way to get a handle of a place, the mood of it, the flavours of the people is pubs in my experience. There is open racism and bigotry in our modern Scotland, all over, to different degrees and on different targets.

I agree. Hence my reasoning that Scotland isn't as inclusive a country as some would have you believe. 

12 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Scots (if we can call the fawning, bootlicking fucks Scots) were introduced to the slave trade thus:

Following the union of parliaments in 1707, Scotland gained formal access to the transatlantic slave trade. 

Unfortunately there it is.

That path was initiated and dictated by the union.

Yeah. We've definitely got a dark history, and it still has relevance today. 

I never experience discomfort when I hear it because it's so common and therefore not unexpected. The small pang of sadness is exceeded by some degree of satisfaction that another thick cunt and/or sick soul has been revealed. This in turn makes life better, knowing who the clowns are to avoid in the future. 

fair doos but these are guys i know well , feel a bit of guilt not saying something but bite my tongue, i suppose that sits uneasy  

9 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

More than the slave trade, I think the feudal system in Scotland's history engineered servility, submission and surrender in the souls of the compliant. 

I agree. As a people we are very servile. It's embarrassing. The only country to have refused democratic independence. 

1 minute ago, redstrummer said:

fair doos but these are guys i know well , feel a bit of guilt not saying something but bite my tongue, i suppose that sits uneasy  

Say something. If you say nothing you're part of the problem. Try challenge their POV, or if they insist it's just a joke, ask them why it's funny? 

I often have these conversations with my friends when they say ridiculous things of that nature, often these people aren't actual white supremacists or whatever, they are just ignorant. 

Say something. If you say nothing you're part of the problem. Try challenge their POV, or if they insist it's just a joke, ask them why it's funny? 

I often have these conversations with my friends when they say ridiculous things of that nature, often these people aren't actual white supremacists or whatever, they are just ignorant. 

yes i agree 

It depends if they really are friends or just pub acquaintances. Some aren't educate-able so waste of time trying. I'll usually always make it known that I think they're full of shit but even then not all the time. 

One in particular and his brother are friends since teenagers , very much in tune as friends are but there racism pops up now and again , never liked it .Suppose i'm more likely to pull up some one i don't know so well 

1 hour ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Nah, both unionists and nationalists forget about the slave trade link. 

Folk were chucking bananas at Walters in the 80's FFS. Plenty of those cunts still be kicking about today. Plenty of folk where I work bemoan immigration, supposed health tourism etc etc, haven't got a clue. A scoob. All sit and read the mail all day. 

Only to make him slip and fall over. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Yes but it's not the "working classes" I was speaking about. I was talking about the mentality of people and how submission can poison the soul. We see this in politicians, plenty of arse-licking in middle management (almost all management in fact) and tons of middle class arselickers too. 

Great post and very true.