Cricket

29-4 was hilarious viewing

0-1 first ball of the series golden duck for Burns even funnier

From that start, England did well to make it to 147 all out. it was looking like you'd do well to make it to 3 figures before lunch.

Green wicket, overcast skies.......just cannot understand England choosing to bat ( probably more to do with having selected Leach than anything else). And not playing Broad after leaving Anderson out I'm sure  will also come back to bite your arses.

Only thing that can save England in this test now is the weather

1 hour ago, Studebaker-90 said:

You a guff mini? 

Nah, I just don't have any hate for their cricket team, got in to the sport properly in 2005 during the Ashes series, they had some incredible talent but sadly most are actual cunts now.

57 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Mini is born need Aiberdeen. Family member English however. From memory anyways. I think also a hun connection but Mini didn't take that route in life.

Good to see the optimism from the guff cunts dashed in no time at all.

5-0 Aussies coming.

Close enough, nae English family though, well blood wise, a lot of weegie family though with 90% of them supporting rangers.  As for cricket Scotland don't compete with them as they aren't a test side, if that changes I'll follow, if they play T20 or a one dayer I'm wanting Scotland to win.

32 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I’ve found myself paying attention to it this year, I’ve been down here too long. 

It's a really good sport, quite relaxing but you get the odd game that's super compelling and as Berto says the shorter formats are much better to watch.

Lived briefly in guffland and went for a jannies job at a cricket playing school. The head teachers office looked onto the pitch and he was asking if I'd know how to upkeep the pitch. Maybe worried as I'm Scottish. I looks out at the pitch, looked back at him and said "Oh aye, no problem. But it looks like somebody's nicked your goalposts."

Didn't get the job.

Guest milne_afc
On 12/11/2021 at 10:12 AM, minijc said:

got in to the sport properly in 2005 during the Ashes series

One of the greatest televised sporting events of all time.

Great to have the ashes back... but gutted the Perth Test has been cancelled!  This will be first Ashes I've missed in 12 years.

Will be interesting to see if the guffs pick things up with Broad and Anderson back.  Didn't think the last test needed to as one-sided as it turned out.  Haven't seen England for a while - but they didn't look as shaky as I though they would...the boy Hameed looked quite good I thought - needs a partner though!  Stokes, Buttler and Malan all capable of scoring and even Root, who is normally terrible in Australia, posted a big score.

England missed a lot of chances - which is not like them.... but at least they were creating.  Missed chances and a poor decision on the toss, were probably the difference!  Still all to play for I reckon. Adelaide Day & Night might be their best chance, with the swing bowlers they have available - it's now or never I reckon.  If Aus win this one, then it's going to be a white-wash again I reckon...

There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the guffs gubbed!  Cricket is one of the few remaining sports where you can still regularly enjoy this type of spectacle! 

Squad : Joe Root (c), Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes.

Burns is still in the team again, and looks like Leach will play with either Woakes or Robinson being left out.

Richardson will replace the injured Hazlewood for the Aussies.

5 hours ago, The Cockney Don said:

Warner got away with one early again.

Was a pretty belligerent innings though... thought he was hampered by his injury earlier on, but eventually warmed up.

Englands bowlers didn't have much variation today.  Pitch doesn't look like it's doing much... but as always need to see both teams batting!

Surprised at just how slowly Australia started. They'll need to sort out a new opener for the next test to partner Warner though. Harris just looks like a walking wicket. 

England were stupidly slow in getting through their overs so restricted the time they had with the new ball to about 40 minutes or so just when it would be at it's absolute most effective. Along with a comedy dropped catch by their wicketkeeper off a batsman on 95. If they use it well early tomorrow and get Australia to around 250/5 or so then it's game back on. But more likely Australia will bat through till about an hour before close of play at a fairly brisk scoring rate declaring on over 500 then having a shot themselves at England with the new ball in the favourable conditions.

England might also rue not picking a front-line spinner. The pitch is bone dry and even Root, a part time spinner got quite significant turn on day 1. It'll be turning square by day 3.