Aberdeen V St Johnstone (4 - 0)

Harcus style press dump

After weeks of anticipation, League Cup semi-final day is nearly upon us, writes Aidan Smith.

Just under 4,000 Saints fans will travel to Tynecastle – home of Hearts – to see Tommy Wright and the players take on Derek McInnes’s Aberdeen side who are currently sitting in second place in the SPFL.

With Saints being involved in European competition we entered the League Cup in round three, a tricky away draw to championship side Hamilton Accies awaited Tommy and the players but goals from Gwion Edwards and a brace from Stevie May gave Saints a 3-0 win at New Douglas Park.

Then came the trip to Cappielow in the quarter final, where a spirited Morton side came up against Saints after putting out Celtic at Parkhead in the previous round of the competition. However a dramatic 95th minute winner from Gary McDonald sent the Saints fans wild at the prospect of a spot in the last four of the tournament, almost three months ago today. It’s been a relatively short road to the semi final for Saints, however two potential hazards have been avoided.

Aberdeen also managed to escape a potential upset in the second round of the competition when they faced Alloa at Pittodrie. The match went all the way to penalties and Aberdeen came out on top winning 6-5. Things got a lot easier for the Dons in the third round when they visited the Falkirk Stadium to face the “Bairns”, the match finished 5-0. Then came a trip to Fir Park in the quarterfinal to face Stuart McCall’s Motherwell, the match finished 2-0 to the Dons even though they played most of the game with ten men. It’s been a spirited route to the semi-final from the Dons.

Team-wise for Saints there are now three long term absentees: Alan Mannus and Murray Davidson having been added to Steven MacLean. Tam Scobbie, who misses the match due to suspension, will join them in the stand.

However, Tommy Wright has added to his squad this week with the additions of Chris Iwelumo and James Dunne, who will both be available for selection on Saturday.

Aberdeen will be without twenty-one year old Ryan Jack who is out with a hip injury however, they will be boosted by the signing of former Inverness striker Adam Rooney and Brentford right-back Shaleum Logan

Saturday’s game is a 3pm kick off and the match is ALL TICKET and ALL TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT. The referee for the match is Bobby Madden.

We’ve only made the final of the League twice in our history – let’s make it a third tomorrow – COYS!!

24 hours to go.

I'm off to my scratcher.

Fuck that Stevie Miller-Brown, fuck that Stevie May, fuck their mini-Ibrox, fuck their "posh" toon that's actually full of minks, fuck their stupid bridge, fuck the M90, fuck glorified suicide spots, fuck Highland Water, fuck one-way systems, fuck Muirton / McDiarmid Park, fuck Perthshire poofs.

Up the fuckin' Dons!

• Upvote 9

Aye, provisional is the key word there. Don't think they'll be taking it somewhere else if we don't make it. I have provisionally booked that weekend to be a trip to a final. I've nae really done anything about it though...

As for Stevie May, what is the concern with him. 0 in 2 games against us and our main striker has a better goalscoring ration than him...

0 in 4.

24 hours to go.

I'm off to my scratcher.

Fuck that Stevie Miller-Brown, fuck that Stevie May, fuck their mini-Ibrox, fuck their "posh" toon that's actually full of minks, fuck their stupid bridge, fuck the M90, fuck glorified suicide spots, fuck Highland Water, fuck one-way systems, fuck Muirton / McDiarmid Park, fuck Perthshire poofs.

Up the fuckin' Dons!

You forgot to fuck the Fermers but I +1ed you anyway because your exhausted. Poor soul.

Any Edinburgh based Dandies on here, who can give us a weather update? Hopefully Tynie can handle the deluge that we all seem to be getting this week.

Light rain, with a wee bit of snow in amongst it when I was in town this afternoon.

I live around 9 miles south of the city, and it's currently dry here, but a bit windy and cold.

Rain's not been bad at all here this week. Unless it hammers it down overnight there will be no problems with the pitch.

Help I need a ticket for tomorrow, can anyone help? £30 ya breeze!

Live in Edinburgh and went to Hibs game at Easter Road, had a whole section of West Stand to myself. Couldn't get a ticket for Dons end so had to sneak in and sit on my hands.

Anyway drop me a text if you have a ticket

Colder than a polar bears baws in Edinburgh at the mo

Cheers

Gordon

As the bold men of the north begin their march to the capital, the wee army of saintees cluster in the shadows of Perth waiting for their dash to the city. Expectations are high in the north but past disappointments haunt them. A bad result will deflate the red balloon once again as past glory fades ever more distant into the realms of granddad's yarns. With no weegies in their path and a team playing well, its hard not to feel that lure of victory, the big day, the chance to paint Glasgow red, fill their coffers and bring back the 80's. Tension rising now for the Don's, you can feel it in the city and they all pray for that early goal to settle nerves. The manager? the most nervous of all, but he must hide it from the players, not easy, its written on his face, the inked lines of tension.

For the saints, expectations remain low, their history? a black void and barren of silver. Great results have been followed by momentous disappointments and the fans are trained never to rise to the seduction of optimism. Those that remain in McDiarmid are the hardiest of all, few in numbers but ardent in their support. They will enter this game in a carefree manner, quietly hoping for a final, but not expecting a thing. As the game goes on though, if it stays close, they will know the day will be theirs. This is how things work for St Johnstone, then they can drop a bombay brown trout in the final and ensure the glint of silver is never seen.

For both teams it will be a mental game than a game of skill, for the fans? just torture until the result is decided on the park and Gorgie alights to Blue or Red.

Hoping I can stay awake to hear/watch the game. I think we'll win by 2 goals and wouldn't like to see Logan starting. With Rooney a newbie, I don't think it's the time to play someone who knows anything about the Scottish game or our game plan. Rooney barely knows the way we play (1 game) so Logan has no chance. Keep him on the bench and chuck on for last 20 mins or so regardless of score. The boys who have got us this far should be given the chance to take us to the final. COYR :scarf: