Out Of Contract

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

McGinn probably has fuck all offers on the table so his best bet is a massive drop in salary and staying in Aberdeen, where he must be very settled. 

Happy for him to stay on, he has something others don't, but it really does have to be for a lot less money.

It is.

McGinn probably has fuck all offers on the table so his best bet is a massive drop in salary and staying in Aberdeen, where he must be very settled. 

Happy for him to stay on, he has something others don't, but it really does have to be for a lot less money.

Logan leaving feels like the end of an era... although the era was already done. His debut against St Johnstone at Tynecastle would live long in the memory if it wasn't for the fact I was so pished I have very little memory of it.

Came in and won a trophy within about a month. Played in front of 40k dons fans at parkhead. 
probably thought that’s what happens all the time with Aberdeen. 
Cant be many players whose professional peak was a month after joining. 

Busy summer ahead but not really gutted to lose any of these.

Taylor - Standard big lump SPL defender, easily replaced.

Hoban - Out of all the players, the one I'm maybe a wee bit annoyed at. Particularly if it was him who rejected us, the club practically saved his career 18 months ago.

Logan - As folk have said end of era and a great servant, probably should have went last summer though.

Kamberi - Showed brief touches of class but shite effort.

Hendry - Not good enough.

Hornby - Came with a reputation of a goalscorer and...wasn't 

Leigh - Bizarre we resigned him in the first place, the young lad mckenzie looks better already.

Players yet to be announced:

Mcginn - turns 34 in the summer, again great servant but its time to move on from the mcinnes era.

Devlin - Could be another Hoban, maybe worth a pay per play or lower wage deal and see if he can do a full season injury free.

Ross - 50/50, needs to step up if he does sign on again.

3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

As expected, those who are going. And the loanees.

But McGinn, Ross and Anderson? Makes zero sense. Devlin more so.

Ross and Anderson won’t cut it here. Devlin, probably has the ability but made of glass. McGinn? What’s the thinking behind offering him a deal?

Of all our CBs devlin is the one I would be happiest to see leave. Perma injured ? 

even when he played he was a bomb scare.

Tynecastle cup game we lost on pens he was awful for their first when he tried to do a diving header clearance when the ball was about a foot off the deck iirc. Missed it completely leaving their striker with a sitter. 
also, Killie cup game we won he and Campbell cost us a goal. He completely missed the ball with their cut back. 

in summary, he’s shite. Much worse than either Taylor or Hoban. 

presuming their wage demands must be much higher as no logic to it otherwise 

3 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

Maybe being offered a pay as you play deal. Give him the pre-season to get his fitness back, maybe a couple of games in the first team... would benefit him more to be on the lookout for clubs being match fit rather than now. Mutually beneficial if he comes back in the form he was in that got him into Scotland squad.

The rare occasion he was fit he played he was piss poor

Piss poor decision if he even gets six months

He offers nothing

Devlin - basically injured for 2 & a half years. Drained the club of about a quarter of a million for fuck all. Been pish aside from 3 months. GET RID.

Anderson - not good enough. 2 goals in 11 for Hamilton, NONE in his last 9. Time to let him go & further his career elsewhere.

Ross - was probably at his level with Raith. In his fairly fleeting chances he’d done nothing - get rid.

McGinn - he’d be the one of the four that could maybe justify another 12 months. Could live with that. 

Re-signing them just blocks a player or two coming in to the club.

Logan leaving feels like the end of an era... although the era was already done. His debut against St Johnstone at Tynecastle would live long in the memory if it wasn't for the fact I was so pished I have very little memory of it.

Aye you must have been pished. Logan’s debut was pretty poor in that semi final. If it were not for Anderson talking him through the game and covering so often.

The result was fantastic, but Logan came on a lot since that debut.

leeway given as not sure Logan had even had a training session with the team.

2 hours ago, Redtaz2 said:

McGinnplease just let him go now , never played well against the victims even at his peak 

however has not been consistent at at since he returned , was good  especially against the diets but those times have gone 

Although I tend to agree, if he were to take a massive wage cut, he could be good to have around the place. Maybe to make a difference with 10-15 to go, but just doesn’t have the legs anymore

7 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

I always laugh when I hear folk say or write, a player is burnt out, played too much, needs a break. You see these guys in the cycling Tours complaining? You know how much energy gets expended not just on a 3 week lap of France, but all the training and prep that goes into it? Marathon/Ultra Marathon runners, out training all the time... the list of pro-sportsmen and woman goes on and on.

Our lot - train for what, 4 mornings a week and then on average one game of 90 mins on a weekend? I could understand if we were talking about guys in their 40's or 50's, but mid to late 20's or whatever Hoban is? Come on... give me a break.

The difference is I would guess that the impact / stress on the body is far different than from cycling or running in a straight line

7 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

4th best defensive record in the league. So for all we slate Taylor, Considine and Hoban - that really was the least of our worries. 

Just looking at the state of our 12 team league in Scotland.... 9 teams conceded more goals than they scored!!! Jesus

Looking more towards our own inadequacies. In that pathetic league we somehow managed to finish fourth in it & (even the most delusional fans cannot deny) we were absolutely SHITE. 

ONLY THREE FKN SIDES SCORED LESS GOALS THAN US.

Not even a goal a fkn game average ffs. Aberdeen fc should be aiming for a minimum target of averaging at least 2 goals a game for & also 2 points average. 

look how shite Celtic have been this season with 11 draws & 5 loses which was STILL enough to average 2 points a game.

averging that isn’t going to win you the league but it should be a minimal points target

36 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

The rare occasion he was fit he played he was piss poor

Piss poor decision if he even gets six months

He offers nothing

I really do wonder if some posters on here actually watch our games. Devlin when he arrived, and just before his first major injury, was a stand out most weeks. He was forming a great partnership with McKenna, to the point I wondered if they would form the next Miller/McLeish Scotland line up. He may offer nothing now, seeing as he's hardly kicked a ball and been injured, but don't let that alter the reality that he was (and has the potential again) to be a very good centre half.

23 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Although I tend to agree, if he were to take a massive wage cut, he could be good to have around the place. Maybe to make a difference with 10-15 to go, but just doesn’t have the legs anymore

Doesn't have the legs for what? To do 100m in 9.8 seconds? Some players need that burst of speed in order to beat a player and get a cross in. I think McGinn would be better as a No10 sort of role - he's probably one of the best finishers we've seen in a red shirt but consistency is the key. I'd be keen to keep him here for another season. I reckon him, Hayes and maybe some others, will relish the 'craic' with Brown who will light the spark in both them. Just my opinion. Sure some will say he's gash.

42 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

Doesn't have the legs for what? To do 100m in 9.8 seconds? Some players need that burst of speed in order to beat a player and get a cross in. I think McGinn would be better as a No10 sort of role - he's probably one of the best finishers we've seen in a red shirt but consistency is the key. I'd be keen to keep him here for another season. I reckon him, Hayes and maybe some others, will relish the 'craic' with Brown who will light the spark in both them. Just my opinion. Sure some will say he's gash.

Only thing il say gash about that post is “McGinn is probably one of the best finishers we’ve seen in a red shirt” 

unless your  in your 20s then maybe. Not in the top ten of finishers that we have had in the past or any time.

1 hour ago, elephantstone78 said:

Of all our CBs devlin is the one I would be happiest to see leave. Perma injured ? 

even when he played he was a bomb scare.

Tynecastle cup game we lost on pens he was awful for their first when he tried to do a diving header clearance when the ball was about a foot off the deck iirc. Missed it completely leaving their striker with a sitter. 
also, Killie cup game we won he and Campbell cost us a goal. He completely missed the ball with their cut back. 

in summary, he’s shite. Much worse than either Taylor or Hoban. 

presuming their wage demands must be much higher as no logic to it otherwise 

Watch where both Hoban and Taylor rock up next.

I think you'll then see that it wasn't their wage demands that led Glass to release them

55 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Looking more towards our own inadequacies. In that pathetic league we somehow managed to finish fourth in it & (even the most delusional fans cannot deny) we were absolutely SHITE. 

ONLY THREE FKN SIDES SCORED LESS GOALS THAN US.

Not even a goal a fkn game average ffs. Aberdeen fc should be aiming for a minimum target of averaging at least 2 goals a game for & also 2 points average. 

look how shite Celtic have been this season with 11 draws & 5 loses which was STILL enough to average 2 points a game.

averging that isn’t going to win you the league but it should be a minimal points target

Minimum target of 76 goals ?

when did we last do that?

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Watch where both Hoban and Taylor rock up next.

I think you'll then see that it wasn't their wage demands that led Glass to release them

Time will tell tc. 
not massively bothered at them leaving but with consi being about 50 and devlin having brittle bones syndrome I would have kept one or both. Wage dependent 

51 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

To play effectively for 90 mins.

He has fleeting moments, but invariably if you watch him, he very much slows down our play and more often than not always turns back on himself.

If he does extend, I think you’ll find my point is proven.

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

Only thing il say gash about that post is “McGinn is probably one of the best finishers we’ve seen in a red shirt” 

unless your  in your 20s then maybe. Not in the top ten of finishers that we have had in the past or any time.

From a purely technical perspective, McGinn stands out as one of the best I've seen in my more than 40 years watching the Dons. Yes, perhaps more prolific goal scorers such as Harper, Jarvie, Rooney, but his football skills and his natural ability to do things with the ball are the equal of a Weir, a Jess, a Christie. I think McGinn has somewhat wasted his career a wee bit. I think with the right management guiding him, he could have gone on to play at a far higher level than he did.

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

To play effectively for 90 mins.

He has fleeting moments, but invariably if you watch him, he very much slows down our play and more often than not always turns back on himself.

If he does extend, I think you’ll find my point is proven.

The boy is/can be more than fit to play for 90 mins. He hasn't been subbed over the last wee while from being fooked. I dunno what you guys opinion on the physiological aspects of the body are, but what is he - 33-34? You'd think he was an OAP the way some talk. Aye fine, get a whippet of a youngster to bomb head down up the wing. As I said, McGinn for me, has and always will be, the type of player who plays that No10 role like he did in his first season with us. Actually feel Hayes would suit that role more as well.

39 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

From a purely technical perspective, McGinn stands out as one of the best I've seen in my more than 40 years watching the Dons. Yes, perhaps more prolific goal scorers such as Harper, Jarvie, Rooney, but his football skills and his natural ability to do things with the ball are the equal of a Weir, a Jess, a Christie. I think McGinn has somewhat wasted his career a wee bit. I think with the right management guiding him, he could have gone on to play at a far higher level than he did.

The boy is/can be more than fit to play for 90 mins. He hasn't been subbed over the last wee while from being fooked. I dunno what you guys opinion on the physiological aspects of the body are, but what is he - 33-34? You'd think he was an OAP the way some talk. Aye fine, get a whippet of a youngster to bomb head down up the wing. As I said, McGinn for me, has and always will be, the type of player who plays that No10 role like he did in his first season with us. Actually feel Hayes would suit that role more as well.

Come on now FFS.

• Upvote 1

Just seen Big Gash's twitter statement

Tbf to the loon it's a classy way to sign off his time at the club.

He was never anybody's favourite but in the season just finished he was unquestionably our most consistent player up to the point injury finished his season. He always tried which is more than can be said for some. I hope he gets himself fixed up with a decent contract somewhere soon. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

I'll just leave this here. Countless other fantastic goals to choose from.

It's a lovely goal but that was years ago. It's like watching a completely different player now. 

Sad as it is, every player reaches the end. And Niall is right at the end.  

32 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

I'll just leave this here. Countless other fantastic goals to choose from.

He doesn’t have the legs to breeze past players like that anymore unfortunately.

There is still space for him to be used up front or behind the forward, but his time playing out wide is over.

Guest milne_afc
7 minutes ago, NEM said:

McGinn has been a great player for us but it’s a bit of a fucking stretch to compare him to Weir or Jess ?

It’s fucking bonkers ?

Getting pretty excited at the prospect of seeing Jack Gurr, a 25 year old guy who has played one senior game in the top tier, pulling on the red shirt of Aberdeen. 

It's definitely not a case of Atlanta using us as a dumping ground for players who are deemed too bad to play for a struggling Atlanta side either, so that's probably what excites me most. 

Glass wasn't kidding when he said the days of shirt-fillers were over... this'll be some fucking coup if he can pull it off. 

Et-fucking-cetera... 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2