Out Of Contract

5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Getting pretty excited at the prospect of seeing Jack Gurr, a 25 year old guy who has played one senior game in the top tier, pulling on the red shirt of Aberdeen. 

It's definitely not a case of Atlanta using us as a dumping ground for players who are deemed too bad to play for a struggling Atlanta side either, so that's probably what excites me most. 

Glass wasn't kidding when he said the days of shirt-fillers were over... this'll be some fucking coup if he can pull it off. 

Et-fucking-cetera... 

Bet his nickname is Mick...

7 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Getting pretty excited at the prospect of seeing Jack Gurr, a 25 year old guy who has played one senior game in the top tier, pulling on the red shirt of Aberdeen. 

It's definitely not a case of Atlanta using us as a dumping ground for players who are deemed too bad to play for a struggling Atlanta side either, so that's probably what excites me most. 

Glass wasn't kidding when he said the days of shirt-fillers were over... this'll be some fucking coup if he can pull it off. 

Et-fucking-cetera... 

Atlanta aren't struggling though? 

55 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Et-fucking-cetera... 

What I don’t understand is we loan them Hernandez, a RB.

He’s Atlanta’s 2nd choice RB.

Glass decides we need a RB.

So we allegedly want Atlanta’s THIRD choice RB.

Not sure what’s more baffling, this potential transfer, or keeping Mikey Devlin. 

2 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

From a purely technical perspective, McGinn stands out as one of the best I've seen in my more than 40 years watching the Dons. Yes, perhaps more prolific goal scorers such as Harper, Jarvie, Rooney, but his football skills and his natural ability to do things with the ball are the equal of a Weir, a Jess, a Christie. I think McGinn has somewhat wasted his career a wee bit. I think with the right management guiding him, he could have gone on to play at a far higher level than he did.

The boy is/can be more than fit to play for 90 mins. He hasn't been subbed over the last wee while from being fooked. I dunno what you guys opinion on the physiological aspects of the body are, but what is he - 33-34? You'd think he was an OAP the way some talk. Aye fine, get a whippet of a youngster to bomb head down up the wing. As I said, McGinn for me, has and always will be, the type of player who plays that No10 role like he did in his first season with us. Actually feel Hayes would suit that role more as well.

McGinn has been a good servant to the club.

One of the better players of the last decade.

... But comparisons with Jess, & even more so Weir are ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not sure what’s more baffling, this potential transfer, or keeping Mikey Devlin. 

A ridiculous situation when you say it like that.

Pretty clear if it wasn’t already that we are Atlanta’s lil bitch.

12 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

So you didn't see McGinns goal for N Ireland like 4 weeks ago then ?

That wasn't really my point. 

The goal that was on the video showed him using pace and strength on the left wing to beat his man before cutting inside to score. 

He can still do the last bit of that sequence but not the important bit that creates that chance in the first place. 

10 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

McGinn has been a good servant to the club.

One of the better players of the last decade.

... But comparisons with Jess, & even more so Weir are ridiculous. 

None more so than you're persistent bed wetting over rumoured transfers. Tell me, what lofty heights did Jess make it to in the game? How many caps for his country? He was one of my favourite players, as was Weir, but I rate McGinn in the same bracket in terms of pure skill and ability. Sure, he may not have had the same charisma, swagger or attitude and that, as I mentioned, is where he may look back and reflect that he could have gone on to bigger things. Jeez - look at Ryan Fraser and you're not telling me Fraser is any better than McGinn was in his prime?

10 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

None more so than you're persistent bed wetting over rumoured transfers. Tell me, what lofty heights did Jess make it to in the game? How many caps for his country? He was one of my favourite players, as was Weir, but I rate McGinn in the same bracket in terms of pure skill and ability. Sure, he may not have had the same charisma, swagger or attitude and that, as I mentioned, is where he may look back and reflect that he could have gone on to bigger things. Jeez - look at Ryan Fraser and you're not telling me Fraser is any better than McGinn was in his prime?

Lol

11 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

The two nagging things about Niall McGinn are that we all know he has got an abundance of ability and is a matchwinner, a type of player that the majority of SPL teams do not possess, but over the last few years there have only been fleeting glimpses of these talents. It is infuriating at times mind.

His goal against Livingston in the cup reflects the talent and know-how are still there though. 

In our current predicament I think it would be folly to release him as it is highly likely he would get a gig at another team in our league and come back to haunt us. 

The offer of an another 1 year contract to him is a no-brainer. 

22 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

After reading that post I can't take anything you say about Aberdeen seriously ever again. Saying McGinn is as good as Weir or Jess is up there with the ridiculous notion some banger on here has that Zero was as good as Jess.

Come on guys, get real. Jess was amazing, a stand out. By far the best player we've had in the modern era, the best player since the Gothenburg greats. Fantastic when he burst on to the scene as a youngster and carried the whole team in his second spell with us. Legend. Zero or McGinn couldn't lace his boots.

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, Ke1t said:

They finished 12 out of 14 in 2020, the year he made his substitute appearance for the last 14 minutes of the game. 

Terrific stuff.

That's wrong. He played this season, came on at half time and they've started season well. 

16 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Minimum target of 76 goals ?

when did we last do that?

Doesn’t matter when or if we reached that target before. ‘Averaging’ 2 goals for a game in this league should not be viewed as unrealistic for a club like Aberdeen 

Would you have viewed this as an unrealistic hope in past, or has your hopes been diminished so much that you have lowered them so much that you would just be happy with a + gd

12 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Was this guy moved down their list of preferred RB’s by their acquisition of Hernandez? 

what a scary thought if that could keep Ramsey out of the team

24 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Doesn’t matter when or if we reached that target before. ‘Averaging’ 2 goals for a game in this league should not be viewed as unrealistic for a club like Aberdeen 

Would you have viewed this as an unrealistic hope in past, or has your hopes been diminished so much that you have lowered them so much that you would just be happy with a + gd

Even in 16/17 when we were as strong as we've been for 25+ years and the huns were pish we fell short of that average. All I am saying is it is very unrealistic as a minimum and everything I've ever watched from Aberdeen in my life suggests that.

11 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Even in 16/17 when we were as strong as we've been for 25+ years and the huns were pish we fell short of that average. All I am saying is it is very unrealistic as a minimum and everything I've ever watched from Aberdeen in my life suggests that.

Even 60 goals target would be a good start. 

27 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

So you don’t think that with everything of Aberdeen you have watched in your life we haven’t been capable of being at least as good as the Celtic side of this season?

That is a pretty low bar to set for expectations if it is below that

we should be knocking in fairly regular 3+ goal results against the shite in the league to keep our averages above 2 for in a season. That isn’t an unrealistic expectation

it has however become an unrealistic expectation even at our best under McInnes because of his shite tactical ‘game management’ pish once we took leads. 

he rarely allowed the team to really go after teams when we were in control. Few exceptions such as Dundee game but as a whole he got a goal in front & then sat in & countered, often just hanging onto the lead as a result of allowing opponents chance to get further up park

2 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

If you’re seriously comparing them you’re fucking clueless. 
Comparing players international records, and numbers of caps, from different eras and hugely different standards of football, is also imbecilic. 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So you don’t think that with everything of Aberdeen you have watched in your life we haven’t been capable of being at least as good as the Celtic side of this season?

That is a pretty low bar to set for expectations if it is below that

we should be knocking in fairly regular 3+ goal results against the shite in the league to keep our averages above 2 for in a season. That isn’t an unrealistic expectation

it has however become an unrealistic expectation even at our best under McInnes because of his shite tactical ‘game management’ pish once we took leads. 

he rarely allowed the team to really go after teams when we were in control. Few exceptions such as Dundee game but as a whole he got a goal in front & then sat in & countered, often just hanging onto the lead as a result of allowing opponents chance to get further up park

The best Aberdeen team I have seen was 2016/17... I started going in 1995. That team lost 10 league games and got 76 points, scoring 74 goals. Celtic this season have lost 5 and got 77 points and scored 76 goals. 

So yes, based on about 25 seasons of watching Aberdeen I find the minimum target of 76 goals to be a bit of a stretch and rather unrealistic.  If we had seen it from Aberdeen or even from Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd at any stage it might seem a bit more realistic. 

Great if it was to happen and great to aim for. All I'm warning you is that.... it probably won't

8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The best Aberdeen team I have seen was 2016/17... I started going in 1995. That team lost 10 league games and got 76 points, scoring 74 goals. Celtic this season have lost 5 and got 77 points and scored 76 goals. 

So yes, based on about 25 seasons of watching Aberdeen I find the minimum target of 76 goals to be a bit of a stretch and rather unrealistic.  If we had seen it from Aberdeen or even from Hearts, Hibs or Dundee Utd at any stage it might seem a bit more realistic. 

Great if it was to happen and great to aim for. All I'm warning you is that.... it probably won't

So you think Aberdeen should only ever be aiming for less than the best you have ever witnessed in your lifetime & to aim for better is unrealistic?

This is exactly my issue with the modern Aberdeen support (& most fans out with the arse cheeks) they have been beaten down into believing they are just a completely inferior entity & as a result the whole club & fans steadily lower expectations 

it really is depressing