Out Of Contract

12 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

So you think Aberdeen should only ever be aiming for less than the best you have ever witnessed in your lifetime & to aim for better is unrealistic?

This is exactly my issue with the modern Aberdeen support (& most fans out with the arse cheeks) they have been beaten down into believing they are just a completely inferior entity & as a result the whole club & fans steadily lower expectations 

it really is depressing 

Now you are talking about aims. But the actual topic was minimum expectations. For me, those are 2 separate things at either end of what we want to do.

Aim = win the league

Minimum expectation = 3rd, score say 60 goals

You are arguing because you don't understand your own point. All I'm saying is the goals scored that you think should be a minimum is incredibly high and probably won't be met.

2 hours ago, RUL said:

That's wrong. He played this season, came on at half time and they've started season well. 

Apologies... he also came on as a second half sub against Chicago Fire, bringing his playing time at senior level, aged 25, to just under one hour. 

Here's his Player Review from that game.

SUB Jack Gurr 6: It was technically Gurr’s man in Stojanovic who scored Chicago’s goal in the 46th minute, but it’s hard to fault Gurr when the ball could’ve and should’ve been cleared by either of the two center backs in front of him. It was a solid MLS debut for a kid from Georgia Gwinnett College — a remarkable story..

A remarkable story indeed. 

30 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Now you are talking about aims. But the actual topic was minimum expectations. For me, those are 2 separate things at either end of what we want to do.

Aim = win the league

Minimum expectation = 3rd, score say 60 goals

You are arguing because you don't understand your own point. All I'm saying is the goals scored that you think should be a minimum is incredibly high and probably won't be met.

Not arguing at all. I dont think there should be a dif between aims/expectations. You have to aim for your expectations as a minimum as well. They are not or should not be mutually exclusive 

3 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

After reading that post I can't take anything you say about Aberdeen seriously ever again. Saying McGinn is as good as Weir or Jess is up there with the ridiculous notion some banger on here has that Zero was as good as Jess.

Come on guys, get real. Jess was amazing, a stand out. By far the best player we've had in the modern era, the best player since the Gothenburg greats. Fantastic when he burst on to the scene as a youngster and carried the whole team in his second spell with us. Legend. Zero or McGinn couldn't lace his boots.

I said he is as talented - never once said the sum of all his career measures up to the likes of Jess/Weir etc. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. McGinn is one of the silkiest players in Scotland for many a year but he's not pushed the boundaries of what he's capable of. Hence why he stuck around with us. That's perhaps lack of ambition or just happy with where he's at, but without a shadow of a doubt, he's as gifted a player as those I mentioned.

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

If you’re seriously comparing them you’re fucking clueless. 
Comparing players international records, and numbers of caps, from different eras and hugely different standards of football, is also imbecilic. 

You really aren't the most clever of chaps are you.

26 minutes ago, Tinyweelad said:

I said he is as talented - never once said the sum of all his career measures up to the likes of Jess/Weir etc. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. McGinn is one of the silkiest players in Scotland for many a year but he's not pushed the boundaries of what he's capable of. Hence why he stuck around with us. That's perhaps lack of ambition or just happy with where he's at, but without a shadow of a doubt, he's as gifted a player as those I mentioned.

More than you are, if you’re saying McGinn in the same breath as Peter Weir ?

44 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Not arguing at all. I dont think there should be a dif between aims/expectations. You have to aim for your expectations as a minimum as well. They are not or should not be mutually exclusive 

They are the same?

So you should aim for  your minimum expectation? Surely you should "aim" higher than the bare minimum?

Just admit you have made an arse of it, are wrong, apologise and +1 this post

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

More than you are, if you’re saying McGinn in the same breath as Peter Weir ?

Folk get all misty eyed about that Gothenburg team of the 80's. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

They are the same?

So you should aim for  your minimum expectation? Surely you should "aim" higher than the bare minimum?

Just admit you have made an arse of it, are wrong, apologise and +1 this post

No you should admit your defeatist ‘expectations’ are part of the problem that has allowed the club to lapse into mediocrity. 

I haven’t made an arse of it. You have, with your ‘also ran’ expectations of this once great club

your ‘expectations’ do nothing but breed stagnation at best but more likely regression & certainly not ambition. It has been steadily bred into the fan base ever since Alex Smiths famous VERY COSTLY change to over cautious approach 

you aim for your minimum aims as a minimum you aim far higher as the ultimate 

you would take the money in bullseye & old Jim would piss himself at you

1 hour ago, Tinyweelad said:

LOL

6 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Not sure about this one.

We got the better deal short term... but I think longer term Livi will get a good chunk of cash for Anderson, while JET's contract will expire and he'll be off on a freebie to wherever. 

We need to get better now, though, not in a few years... so this deal works for all parties. 

10 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

We got the better deal short term... but I think longer term Livi will get a good chunk of cash for Anderson, while JET's contract will expire and he'll be off on a freebie to wherever. 

We need to get better now, though, not in a few years... so this deal works for all parties. 

I don't agree with you about Livi getting the better deal long term

I wish Anderson all the luck in the world but fully expect to see him playing for Peterhead or the likes in 3 years time. Having scored less than 20 goals in his 3 years (if he lasts that long) at Livi

JET as you say is a short term signing for us, not someone I expect us to be offering a new contract to when the time comes.

• Dildo 1

Didn’t realise how many players Livi are losing this summer.

They’ll be kicking about down the bottom of the league next season. Bruce will struggle is my guess.

JET could be useful here, but difficult to tell until we see what our other signings are like. He won’t be able to do everything himself.

32 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I don't agree with you about Livi getting the better deal long term

I wish Anderson all the luck in the world but fully expect to see him playing for Peterhead or the likes in 3 years time. Having scored less than 20 goals in his 3 years (if he lasts that long) at Livi

JET as you say is a short term signing for us, not someone I expect us to be offering a new contract to when the time comes.

Well, that's the thing about development, with notable exceptions you never really know how a player will progress.

Playing for garbage like Hamilton is always going to limit your goalscoring opportunities, and his lack of goals there is somewhat understandable. Only United scored fewer goals.

Livi, on the other hand, had the 5th highest FOR tally... we were 8th equal with St J I think... so it's plausible he's going to have more opportunity to advance his skills rather than standing scratching his arse circa the half way line. 

Obviously a team's goal tally isn't purely scientific, but it gives a good rule of thumb. 

We'll revisit Anderson's progress in a couple of years, no doubt. 

22 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

Ah ok, they never offered him a deal after his trial period there then. ?

Edit: Sorry it was the mighty Darlington he played a couple of reserve games for on trial. My mistake.

Ha ha a failed non league trialist ?

52 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Well, that's the thing about development, with notable exceptions you never really know how a player will progress.

Playing for garbage like Hamilton is always going to limit your goalscoring opportunities, and his lack of goals there is somewhat understandable. Only United scored fewer goals.

Livi, on the other hand, had the 5th highest FOR tally... we were 8th equal with St J I think... so it's plausible he's going to have more opportunity to advance his skills rather than standing scratching his arse circa the half way line. 

Obviously a team's goal tally isn't purely scientific, but it gives a good rule of thumb. 

We'll revisit Anderson's progress in a couple of years, no doubt. 

Was at Dunfermline and Ayr and struggled there too. Never took his chances when he got them here. 

I can’t see this coming back to bite us.... but if it does hopefully we just resign him

• Upvote 1

May 2021

Michael Devlin

Ethan Ross 

Niall McGinn

May 2022

Andrew Considine

Funso Ojo - on loan at Wigan

Miko Virtanen

Ryan Hedges

Dylan McGeouch

Jonny Hayes