Sign in to follow this  
alscotoz

Stovies

Beetroot and oatcakes have to be with them.

Recipe

Beef or steak

Tatties

Onions

CARROTS

A gravy

Fitever else you want to add (I'd probably chuck in a bit of mustard). I had some recently that had blackpudding through it, which definitely worked.

Yesterdays roast sirloin

Onions

Sliced tatties

Beef stock

Mustard

Worcester sauce

Layer it, beef, onions, tatties, beef, onions, tatties.

Cook it in the oven for a couple hours with a lid on

Mush it up

Roberts yer mothers brother

I fucking hate stovies.

I find your hate for stovies both tiresome, homo-curios and quite stressful.

is stovies not a general term and its essentially just whatevers lying about that gets chucked in?

for me, its:

links, "round" square sausages, onions, potatoes, turnips, carrots, gravy

Certainly is MT and I've never tried the weedgie version but it sounds quite the stodgy hangover cure. More of a sloppy sausage hot pot but not without it's charms.

My old dear used the Sunday beef and would scrape all the pans into the Stovie dish, corned beef sometimes added, leftover baked beans. Thatchers Britain made for a good Stovies.

Beet root n oatcakes, side of mealie pudding, slice of bread the side dish options were as varied as the Stovies themselves and quite frankly if you don't enjoy a good Stovies your sexual preference is probably that of the cock n balls variety.

is stovies not a general term and its essentially just whatevers lying about that gets chucked in?

for me, its:

links, "round" square sausages, onions, potatoes, turnips, carrots, gravy

"The potatoes should be sliced thickly and disintegrating, not chunky or mashed. And the meat, the meat should be shredded beef or lamb; it should not be chicken or corned beef or – splutter – sausages."

Sausages in stovies does sound incredibly minky...

haha it is, not had it in ages, whetted my appetite though...gonna go to shops on lunch break and make some tonight!!

boiled sausages, so soft and absolutely saturated in gravy...

then good few slices of nice fluffy white bread and lurpak butter, to mop up the gravy

actually, aye

im supposed to be playing 7s tonight, gonna cancel that and eat stovies instead, probably right out the pot

I'm sure whoever has made the 7s booking will be delighted with that excuse.

try it before you slag it

for the record, good quality beef sausages wont be any worse, quality wise than corned effin beef

in fact, id wager it'd be way higher quality

In other news, water is wet and snow is cold.

try it before you slag it

for the record, good quality beef sausages wont be any worse, quality wise than corned effin beef

in fact, id wager it'd be way higher quality

"the meat should be shredded beef or lamb; it should not be chicken or corned beef or – splutter – sausages."

Corned beef is a no go as well...I'm sure the your concoction is extremely tasty...it's just not stovies.

just back from Tesco

ingredients..BOUGHT

500g links, 4 square sausages, 2kg potatoes, 2 carrots, 3 onions, Bisto's "Finest" range granules and 2 crispy mortons rolls to mop up

going to get it going about 430 I think

just bung it all in for 90 mins aye?

Jesus you'll be feeding on that for days min.

that's just stew, not stovies?

Not if it's all mixed in together. Although to be honest I'm not sure what the Venn diagram for stovies / stew looks like.

Never had stovies growing up in Wick, it's only something I discovered living in Aberdeen. So it's classed as fancy foreign food to me, like curries, yorkshire pudding and garlic.

Not if it's all mixed in together. Although to be honest I'm not sure what the Venn diagram for stovies / stew looks like.

Never had stovies growing up in Wick, it's only something I discovered living in Aberdeen. So it's classed as fancy foreign food to me, like curries, yorkshire pudding and garlic.

I am drawing that Venn diagram when I get the chance.

I like stovies

They should be made by slicing tatties and onions and sweating in a pan with beef dripping

Left over roast beef and gravy should be added after they are cooked

Cleaning the bottom of the pan is a hoor, though.