Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

10 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

But the point is he (Smith) was shitballing his way to 1-0 wins.  And that wasn’t enough to save him.

Indeed. We were also sitting 6th at the time.

As many on here have stated, Smith was lost as soon as Jocky Scott departed as co-manager at the start of that season on the slide.

Giving Smith the sole credit for the attacking flair and verve of the side that they co-managed is fundamentally wrong.

13 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

As someone else mentioned, nothing seems to have changed with Mcinnes approach to a match.

Again a team of his starts slowly and really isn't enjoyable to watch.

Cormack must've had his head in his hands watching that yesterday.

Cormack will have been just as raging as the rest of us watching that.  Probably even more so given that our only good player on the day, was the one (allegedly) sourced by his American friends.

However, as mentioned elsewhere - no way we can afford to get rid of McInnes. 

The "it's only been 1 game" & "what better can we expect" arguments are grating on me now.

1. We've been shite for the guts of 3 seasons not 1 game. 

2. Why should we just accept mediocrity, shite fitba and shitting the bed at regular occasions? We all know the Glasgow cunts spend way more than we do but it's possible to have a go. Rangers are fucking shite and more than beatable. 

Very likely we are stuck however. Wonderful. 

• Upvote 2

If McInnes is hell bent on playing long ball shite he'd be as well play Taylor up front. Absolutely criminal to play Anderson upfront and expect him to win the endless long balls being launched at him.

If I was Anderson I'd be doing all I can do get out of the club, it's just not going to work for him at Aberdeen as long as McInnes is in charge.

Not surprised by the result or manner in which we approached the game. There was absolutely no reason to believe McInnes would have a go, we must be the most negative team in the league when it comes to playing the old firm. 

16 hours ago, caledonia said:

Usual defend , keep it tight , lose a goal or two , then try and win when its too late.

glad we decided not to buy a season ticket till McInnes has gone

most negative manager i have ever seen including Alex Miller

Did we ever really try to win, there was a bit more effort to get up the park in the 2nd half but in reality we created fuck all.

Yes it’s churlish I know but that would be a quick win for Cormack.  Telling McInnes to focus solely/more on his own team in post match interviews, particularly one where you’ve just been predictably handed your arse on a plate.

the odd remark like the above I don’t mind - they were clearly better.  But he returned to it three or four times.  Great players, great this great that blah etc.

Yep. Agree with that ^

I'm ok with him complimenting a team that's out played us on the day - ie acknowledging they've played well if they have.

But this constant stressing "they are better than us" just gives the impression he doesn't have the ambition and the appetite to find the opposition's weaknesses and take the game to them.

14 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

But the point is he (Smith) was shitballing his way to 1-0 wins.  And that wasn’t enough to save him.

Not sure this is even true? Smith was struggling on his own. His win record was 30%. In the month leading up to his sacking we drew 3-3 2-2 and beat hearts 4-0 but were woefully inconsistent but wasn't many 1-0 wins in there.

Ironically Smith undoing was a 1-0 Scottish cup loss to rangers which really turned the fans. Sure he ass gone few weeks later 

1 hour ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

If McInnes is hell bent on playing long ball shite he'd be as well play Taylor up front. Absolutely criminal to play Anderson upfront and expect him to win the endless long balls being launched at him.

If I was Anderson I'd be doing all I can do get out of the club, it's just not going to work for him at Aberdeen as long as McInnes is in charge.

Not surprised by the result or manner in which we approached the game. There was absolutely no reason to believe McInnes would have a go, we must be the most negative team in the league when it comes to playing the old firm. 

An element of truth in this regarding Anderson.

However you can't have failed to notice the times the ball was played in to his feet in which he instantly gave it away or miscontrolled it. His movement wasn't great either, it wasn't like he was making great runs that weren't being spotted.

I just think some people have such a love-in for Anderson that they will make excuses for him all day long. He played up front in a 2 last season against Dumbarton and Hearts, he was shite. It's not all Mcinnes fault.

7 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

I can assure you I am not Anderson's biggest fan and I am not entirely convinced he has what it takes at this level, however, McInnes isn't helping his development and if I was his agent I'd be advising him to look at moving away for the good of his career.

I agree having watched him for a few Years in the unders and reserves he is a striker who plays on the shoulder of the centre halves and uses his pace to get in behind just like his goal against Livi. What he cannot do is compete in the air with giant centre halves. A good manager would play to his strengths and Mcinnes certainly did the opposite of that on Saturday and to be fair I don't think we would have done any better with Cosgrove up front as he isn't the best at competing with his back to goal

Definitely seems to be parallels to the latter period of Calderwood’s reign when the fans tired of the managers approach and became predictable, despite results not being terrible.

The good will generated from his early cup win has long since ran out and despite coming close a few times since then, we just can’t punch through and get that 2nd trophy that might get the fans believing again.
I doubt Cormack will be as patient as his predecessor should we make a slow start this season.  

Aye the first half of his reign up to 2017 was great.  You could feel the whole city getting behind the club and the team. 

Summer 2017 with the team breaking up and the flirting with Sunderland was the start of the downward spiral but we still had GMS, McLean, Christie and Shinnie etc to give us a bit of hope and quality. 

Last 2 seasons have been poor though.  More and more defensive, long ball and one paced by the month. 

We've got a huge squad with some decent players in comparison with most of the league.  There's really no excuse to not let them off the leash. 

On the team for Saturday I actually personally thought we should play no striker (Hayes or Kennedy up front) but McInnes probably knew we were on a hiding to nothing in this game and he would have been absolutely slaughtered for not playing Anderson/striker

19 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

Mcinnes quotes today, Anderson had a tough game against my blue nosed buddies.   Plus the forwards lacked pressing ideas.     Mcinnes you are supposed to be the manager and coach like previous seasons you have no fricking  idea and tactics.  Most of the blame for lack of ideas is you have none.     

Bruce, jonnie and Matty:  right Boss when we get the opportunity to progress into their half in numbers what’s the plan?

Derek:  eh?

The squad looks decent... Certainly should on paper barring injury cruise 3rd place... Let another manager get a hold of them and see what they can do with them... There is absolutely nothing new that we haven't seen from DMc already that inspires me that he's well past his best. The dictionary definition of predictable.

11 hours ago, RUL said:

Not sure this is even true? Smith was struggling on his own. His win record was 30%. In the month leading up to his sacking we drew 3-3 2-2 and beat hearts 4-0 but were woefully inconsistent but wasn't many 1-0 wins in there.

Ironically Smith undoing was a 1-0 Scottish cup loss to rangers which really turned the fans. Sure he ass gone few weeks later 

Im pretty sure the scottish cup defeat as holders was to Motherwell, and a stevie kirk strike, 

Motherwell went on to win the cup that year

Much as I galls me to do so, I have to agree with the fucking Oaf when he said managers have shelf lives,. The good ones know when theirs is exhausted.

Tommy Wright  I think had reached his at St Johnstone, and he has the decency to move on. 

Eddie howe at Bournemouth another that has  realised his has been reached. 

No doubt mcinnes "credit" from winning a cup on penalties, against a smaller club, and with the majority of players he didn't sign. Is no longer enough. 

sorry still getting the hang of this new quote thing.  Re Smiths demise in 91/92

I think from memory the hun game was the first time we hit the Street In open protest.  He didn’t last many games more.

Your stats for win rate will be better than my hazy recollection for sure, but my abiding memory of Smiths era was going 1-0 up and then managing games out.  That and Gary Smith’s haircut.