Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just amazed he’s finally using the types of players he’s signing for the type of football you would hope to expect from them. Not so much negative defensive tactics. 
still some signs of game management but the balance seems a lot better than normal is this respect so far. Admittedly we haven’t been punished yet by it, other than Hun game of course.

on this form I would be a lot more confident in us in the semi, prevented he doesn’t revert to type

I'm a long time critic of McInnes. I've hated his style of play over the past couple of seasons.  I've hated watching this team over the past two years and it's been a chore.  it's been some of the worst football I've ever seen from an Aberdeen team.  Eye-bleeding, negative rubbish.  I've long been of the opinion that we aren't getting value for the money that's been spent on this extremely expensively assembled squad.  The amount of money McInnes has squandered on expensive duds is absolute disgrace too - this shouldn't be forgotten.  Questions have to be asked, when we're continually playing defensive, cautious football, against teams that've been assembled on a fraction of our budget. The last couple of seasons we've been beaten by Kilmarnock and Motherwell!  I'm really happy to stand by all of that, even after a tremendous away victory in Norway.

Having said that I've liked what I've seen from McInnes in recent weeks.  A solid base and spine of a team, allowing Hedges and Wright the freedom to create and play football - McInnes is typically far more rigid across the entire XI.  Maybe he's realised his approach over the past few seasons has not worked and that he's playing his way out of a job?  Anyway, I'm far from convinced, given it's only been a handful of games... but I admit - this is much better than we've seen for a long time.  Keep it up.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sonoftherock said:

I'm a long time critic of McInnes. I've hated his style of play over the past couple of seasons.  I've hated watching this team over the past two years and it's been a chore.  it's been some of the worst football I've ever seen from an Aberdeen team.  Eye-bleeding, negative rubbish.  I've long been of the opinion that we aren't getting value for the money that's been spent on this extremely expensively assembled squad.  The amount of money McInnes has squandered on expensive duds is absolute disgrace too - this shouldn't be forgotten.  Questions have to be asked, when we're continually playing defensive, cautious football, against teams that've been assembled on a fraction of our budget. The last couple of seasons we've been beaten by Kilmarnock and Motherwell!  I'm really happy to stand by all of that, even after a tremendous away victory in Norway.

I do take your general point, but was it really worse than seeing us in a dog fight season after season 20 years ago?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

I do take your general point, but was it really worse than seeing us in a dog fight season after season 20 years ago?

Indeed. We've been pragmatic and won games last few years, there's no doubt about it. But seriously, Brown/McGhee/Paterson/Skovdahl/Aitken/Miller(A) and probably some other awful teams in between. This spell under Mcinnes has been decent overall. I watched us get beat 6-1 of Livi in a league cup tie under someone years ago, we were 4-0 down at half time for fuck sake. That was garbage.

45 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Defo. Some of the relegation stuff actually saw some decent matches and entertainment. You were invested in the match you were watching..... for the last couple of seasons at least it has just been completely boring and disinteresting to watch Aberdeen matches. 

I wouldn't trade it for the relegation dogfight, but I agree the recent football has been the worst and most boring I've ever seen.

I'm a fairly big McInnes supporter but I still think its for the best that this is his last contract.

We are only getting forced in to renewing it if he either

Qualifies for Group stage 2020/21

Wins one of the three cups this season

Finishes in the top two of the league (or is in hunt for top two post split)

Qualifies for Group stage 2021/22

If he does none of that he'll only have 8-9 months left on his contract and it'll be time to think about the next manager.

I'll be delighted if he magics up one of the above though.

14 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Defo. Some of the relegation stuff actually saw some decent matches and entertainment. You were invested in the match you were watching..... for the last couple of seasons at least it has just been completely boring and disinteresting to watch Aberdeen matches. 

I wouldn't trade it for the relegation dogfight, but I agree the recent football has been the worst and most boring I've ever seen.

What relegation stuff are you even talking about?

Maybe McInnes has been playing the long game and is a tactical genius after all.........waiting until Celtic get just shite enough for us to beat them to a cup at last and unleashing his players after building up their frustrations in a rigid boring formation. That and Cormack doesn't seem to want to tickle his arsehole as much as Milne did

59 minutes ago, RUL said:

Indeed. We've been pragmatic and won games last few years, there's no doubt about it. But seriously, Brown/McGhee/Paterson/Skovdahl/Aitken/Miller(A) and probably some other awful teams in between. This spell under Mcinnes has been decent overall. I watched us get beat 6-1 of Livi in a league cup tie under someone years ago, we were 4-0 down at half time for fuck sake. That was garbage.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Did you not watch us under calderwood? That was the most boring pish I have ever seen most weeks. 

2 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Having said that I've liked what I've seen from McInnes in recent weeks.  A solid base and spine of a team, allowing Hedges and Wright the freedom to create and play football - McInnes is typically far more rigid across the entire XI.  Maybe he's realised his approach over the past few seasons has not worked and that he's playing his way out of a job?  Anyway, I'm far from convinced, given it's only been a handful of games... but I admit - this is much better than we've seen for a long time.  Keep it up.

Very very short memory.

I think people forget how shite the football was under Mcghee, Alex Miller, Brown (at times, although he was clearing up Mcghee's mess!) , Calderwood. Also under the majority of these managers we played shite football whilst stuck in the bottom 6 and occasionally at threat of relegation, whilst losing more often than not.

Compared to his first few seasons the last 2 have been dissapointing style wise under Mcinnes but to call it "the worst football" you've seen is clearly an exaggeration and incorrect. 

Mcghee's era finished with 12 defeats out of 14, including a 9-0 defeat and with 6 goals scored in 14 games. So ... calm down ?

2 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Again, we were far worse under Calderwood while spending shit loads of money on players. Obviously you’ve either forgotten or choosing to ignore how bad it was just to have a go at McInnes. 

Just now, afc_blockhead said:

Yup. Even in the decent seasons under Calderwood the football was almost always shite. Hoof to Lee Miller , fall over , hope to score from a set piece. Repeat.

Some of the games against Falkirk, ICT and St Mirren were coma-inducing. Players  happy to pick up a good wedge and not bother their arses. As you say it was always a big hoof up to Miller who would collapse instantly. It was genuinely dreadful stuff, boring as fuck.

21 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Very very short memory.

I think people forget how shite the football was under Mcghee, Alex Miller, Brown (at times, although he was clearing up Mcghee's mess!) , Calderwood. Also under the majority of these managers we played shite football whilst stuck in the bottom 6 and occasionally at threat of relegation, whilst losing more often than not.

Compared to his first few seasons the last 2 have been dissapointing style wise under Mcinnes but to call it "the worst football" you've seen is clearly an exaggeration and incorrect. 

Mcghee's era finished with 12 defeats out of 14, including a 9-0 defeat and with 6 goals scored in 14 games. So ... calm down ?

It was the relegation one that got me? I can't mind us even genuinely fighting relegation since the play off season of 1995. We finished 9th about 5 years in a row. I recall a 11th place finish where we lost our last 6 games played in front of tiny crowds. Yeah what a hoot those exciting days were.

Classic McInnes thread.

What sets McInnes apart in my opinion is you occasionally get a fleeting glimpse that so much more is possible.  McInnes by most measures has been considered "poor" certainly in the last two years and the worst we've been is 4th.  Calderwood esp and Mcghee to an extent you had the same fleeting glimpses of potential (Copenhagen etc) but you never really believed it.  But McInnes Ive often sat there and thought just let them loose.  Even the games against the dross and youre 2-0 up, you're thinking go and get four or five.  But no.  Utterly rigid game management turgid turgid turgid.  If you're talking about achieving their potential then Calderwood did that.  QoTS showed that explicitly.  But McInnes you just feel there is a risk averseness that has cost him, and us.  Is it deeper than the obvious glass ceiling that he has for the arse cheeks? 

• Upvote 3
50 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'm a fairly big McInnes supporter but I still think its for the best that this is his last contract.

We are only getting forced in to renewing it if he either

Qualifies for Group stage 2020/21

Wins one of the three cups this season

Finishes in the top two of the league (or is in hunt for top two post split)

Qualifies for Group stage 2021/22

If he does none of that he'll only have 8-9 months left on his contract and it'll be time to think about the next manager.

I'll be delighted if he magics up one of the above though.

Nah he's not signing a new contract with us even if he wins us a Cup. He's destined for the Scotland job....DM and Clarke's contracts conveniently run out at the same time and unless Clarke takes us to the World Cup finals, he won't be getting a new contract. 

Should McInnes actually win us the league....a bit of a long shot I know....then he instantly becomes attractive to EPL clubs at the West Ham/Southampton kind of level

Either way, we will definitely see a new manager in the hostseat come summer 2022

10 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Classic McInnes thread.

What sets McInnes apart in my opinion is you occasionally get a fleeting glimpse that so much more is possible.  McInnes by most measures has been considered "poor" certainly in the last two years and the worst we've been is 4th.  Calderwood esp and Mcghee to an extent you had the same fleeting glimpses of potential (Copenhagen etc) but you never really believed it.  But McInnes Ive often sat there and thought just let them loose.  Even the games against the dross and youre 2-0 up, you're thinking go and get four or five.  But no.  Utterly rigid game management turgid turgid turgid.  If you're talking about achieving their potential then Calderwood did that.  QoTS showed that explicitly.  But McInnes you just feel there is a risk averseness that has cost him, and us.  Is it deeper than the obvious glass ceiling that he has for the arse cheeks? 

That 'game management' seems to be a thing from the last few years of dull football, no? We went through a spell of horsing teams, when even considine got a hatrick. That was fun, the best spell under McInnes.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

What relegation stuff are you even talking about?

I'm just roughly thinking of when we were absolutely shite around the late 90s early 00s - in response to original post. i was more keen to attend games then than i have been the last few seasons.... although maybe thats cause i wasnt paying for it myself :) 

57 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Did you not watch us under calderwood? That was the most boring pish I have ever seen most weeks. 

those were the greatest days in aberdeen football club history