Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

I wonder how young Anderson would fit in with this new dynamic of Wright/Hedges?

would he add similar to what Watkins does but with goals? 

Certainly worth experimenting with games like this Sunday for a spell at least

Maybe, but I don’t think he would link the team as well as Watkins.

Anderson is more of a poacher

I’m thinking more he’s suited to the quick passing & link up play with ball to feet. 
Something he never got chance to show in previous turgid games.

can’t just write him off from this new attacking style without a chance over Watkins, just as some are even trying to do over Cosgrove.

Wright himself was basically written off by many before this season as was even Hedges also.

Amazes me how folk can be so scared of change.

9 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

I’m thinking more he’s suited to the quick passing & link up play with ball to feet. 
Something he never got chance to show in previous turgid games.

can’t just write him off from this new attacking style without a chance over Watkins, just as some are even trying to do over Cosgrove.

Wright himself was basically written off by many before this season as was even Hedges also.

Amazes me how folk can be so scared of change.

I'm not sure that's the case. 

We've accepted 3 at the back. That's change. 

We've accepted McCrorie alongside Ferguson in midfield. 

We've accepted Hayes and Kennedy at wing back. 

We've accepted a front three of Watkins, Wright and Hedges. 

Nobody wants the youth players to make it more than me. But I think Anderson scoring a couple of important goals early on may have clouded our judgment.  We just want him to be better than he actually is. 

I was the same with Cammy Smith. When I first saw him I thought he was a stick on.  Two footed, great control. Good technique.  But eventually I realised he was just lacking the pace to play top level football. 

17 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm not sure that's the case. 

We've accepted 3 at the back. That's change. 

We've accepted McCrorie alongside Ferguson in midfield. 

We've accepted Hayes and Kennedy at wing back. 

We've accepted a front three of Watkins, Wright and Hedges. 

Nobody wants the youth players to make it more than me. But I think Anderson scoring a couple of important goals early on may have clouded our judgment.  We just want him to be better than he actually is. 

I was the same with Cammy Smith. When I first saw him I thought he was a stick on.  Two footed, great control. Good technique.  But eventually I realised he was just lacking the pace to play top level football. 

All but the three at back was hardly something hard to accept.

The three at back excluding Taylor was pretty easy to accept also.

i don’t think anyone based Anderson higher just because of the Hun goal.

myself for example only wished he was given the chance to bring his youth team performances to first team but imo he still hasn’t been given that fair crack of whip yo do so.

For most Part he’s been hung out to dry by Mcinnes in past. With fleeting last mins appearances during ‘game management’ or shafted as lone striker against Hearts when Even Mcinnes himself said he sharted on him essentially .

my ‘fearful of change’ remark was hardly meant as in folk scared to change style from previous turgid football. 

4 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

All but the three at back was hardly something hard to accept.

The three at back excluding Taylor was pretty easy to accept also.

i don’t think anyone based Anderson higher just because of the Hun goal.

myself for example only wished he was given the chance to bring his youth team performances to first team but imo he still hasn’t been given that fair crack of whip yo do so.

For most Part he’s been hung out to dry by Mcinnes in past. With fleeting last mins appearances during ‘game management’ or shafted as lone striker against Hearts when Even Mcinnes himself said he sharted on him essentially .

my ‘fearful of change’ remark was hardly meant as in folk scared to change style from previous turgid football. 

I'm not sure what the fearful of change comment was referring to then? 

The strong likelihood is that Cosgrove will be sold and Anderson will be released so we'll just have to move on. 

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

^ Good post f n d.

Personality characteristics come into it. McInnes has always been low on the risk spectrum, preferring to take caution rather than balls out attack. The best operators are always looking to go for it but know when to do it, having the sense of balance. Men who never take risks never achieve anything.

The most revealing comment about him was when Considine appeared to criticise McInnes's subs recently. If the fans can see it, you'd think it was even more obvious to the players. Perhaps it's only now with the new blood that the collective culture has more ambition than the many previous years, where nobody said boo to the goose.

We will see if this badger can change his stripes. I doubt that humans can change their personalities as much as the bearded charlatan needs to if he's not to end up as a failure. The quicker he gets the Scotland job the better, then we can get Duncan Disorderly in from Everton. Hey, succession planning isn't my job but at least it would be a laff and an experiment which would show itself quickly if it was going to work or not. I don't think it can ever work under McInnes despite a crop of hungrier footballers as we appear to be seeing this last month and a half.

That's a stunning suggestion as to who might possibly be the Mcinnes replacement. Plus one from me

26 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm not sure what the fearful of change comment was referring to then? 

The strong likelihood is that Cosgrove will be sold and Anderson will be released so we'll just have to move on. 

Change of Watkins to experiment with Anderson.

End of day. Striker not scoring.

Don’t get me wrong. Watkins is my preferred option right now from fit strikers but games like this one on Sunday should be used to see how others can play in this new formation/style. Small changes & squad rotation is key & whilst having large squad.

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Nobody is fearful of it though.  They just don't think it will work as well.  

Mainly because of Watkins' work rate, pace and ability to link play. Most would probably agree that Anderson is a more natural finisher. 

The manager must feel the same way as Anderson is sitting in his house most games these days. 

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

But the team collectively are playing well...I don't give a shite who scores the goals as long as someone does and that every member of the 11 is contributing to the effort. Once someone goes off the boil and performances/results start tailing off then the time comes to freshen the side up. 

But if/when that time comes, I don't see it being Anderson who gets the nod. Far more likely he gets shipped out on loan in the next fortnight or so

Just now, Ten Caat said:

But the team collectively are playing well...I don't give a shite who scores the goals as long as someone does and that every member of the 11 is contributing to the effort. Once someone goes off the boil and performances/results start tailing off then the time comes to freshen the side up. 

But if/when that time comes, I don't see it being Anderson who gets the nod. Far more likely he gets shipped out on loan in the next fortnight or so

I added stuff to that post you may have missed but if you look back you may see why. 

are we to stick with same 11 in your view pretty much, or rotate?

I added stuff to that post you may have missed but if you look back you may see why. 

I think we should try and keep the core of the side intact as much as possible while the energy levels are still high and the results are good.  It's a relatively new line up and formation and we need to give it a chance to bed in. 

We need to use our subs effectively in the league where we are allowed 5 changes to keep the preferred players fresh and the subs ticking over. 

I dare say that Anderson could have performed better v Viking than Watkins did for example.

there will come a time when other managers figure how to nullify current individuals/tactics & for this reason Mcinnes should be mixing things up. Not least for keeping as many players match sharp as possible in event of injury cover but also to keep other managers guessing

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think we should try and keep the core of the side intact as much as possible while the energy levels are still high and the results are good.  It's a relatively new line up and formation and we need to give it a chance to bed in. 

We need to use our subs effectively in the league where we are allowed 5 changes to keep the preferred players fresh and the subs ticking over. 

I’m agreeing with this. That’s why (in part) I say to use games such as this next one to rotate some others in. For many reasons

looks like we have goals coming from the midfielders now which is a massive improvement over what we've endured the last couple seasons but that was down to shite recruitment & that's down to the manager. i'm happy to give him the credit at the moment as he deserves it as this team has got pace & a bit of creativity about it now

as long as playing Cosgoals disna bring back the long ball pish of the last couple season it should be ok to give it a try but i do like what Watkins brings to the team( a goal or 2 wouldna hurt)

I'd say there are a core of 17 maybe 18 players who we could rotate into the starting side and not see too much difference in performance. Injuries and suspensions will mean we have to utilise a few others outwith that core, but as a consequence we cannot expect performances to be as good, although maybe results might not suffer too badly, given that those players would likely be starters for most other teams in the league. But in general, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

In 82/83 Dundee United won the league using 14 players all season. (that was obviously the Gothenburg season in which we suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries from November onwards, including Kennedy's career ender. We made no secret of concentrating on the ECWC after beating Bayern so the league wasn't abandoned but became a definite secondary target...we ended up third but we could still have won it on the final day had results gone our way elsewhere). So rotation, whilst the norm nowadays, doesn't always prove to be necessary.

42 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Once of the peepil, they tend to always think that they arra peepil.

It was bred into them from a very early age, from shit parents who themselves were also brainwashed to hate kafflicks.

I hate kafflicks too, and proddies, and muslims, and jews. Almost all religion is shit. Some of the Buddhists and Taoists are cool though.

14 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd say there are a core of 17 maybe 18 players who we could rotate into the starting side and not see too much difference in performance. Injuries and suspensions will mean we have to utilise a few others outwith that core, but as a consequence we cannot expect performances to be as good, although maybe results might not suffer too badly, given that those players would likely be starters for most other teams in the league. But in general, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

In 82/83 Dundee United won the league using 14 players all season. (that was obviously the Gothenburg season in which we suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries from November onwards, including Kennedy's career ender. We made no secret of concentrating on the ECWC after beating Bayern so the league wasn't abandoned but became a definite secondary target...we ended up third but we could still have won it on the final day had results gone our way elsewhere). So rotation, whilst the norm nowadays, doesn't always prove to be necessary.

I’d be a little more generous than just 17/18. Especially middle to front.

not implying we could field two sides as such or change too much in one go but with 5 subs we can certainly rotate a lot if done wisely.

Kennedy. McGinn. McClennan (spelling lol)  Cosgrove. Edmundson. Anderson. Campbell. Hernandez. Logan. Even Taylor Ojo maybe more. All missing from start Thurs

edit also Main

21 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Only area where I can foresee potential injury problems affecting side badly is in central defence. Well covered all over but Considine or Hoban, or Even McKenna (he’s been good this far tbf this season) get injured & we could see massive impact in side/confidence 

Losing Hayes on the left would be a huge issue. 

2 hours ago, Millertime said:

Lol

6 wins out of 6 and has navigated a potentially tricky away euro qualifier 

Also now built a fucking brilliant looking team 

After the last 2 and a bit seasons of horrendous defensive hoofball, and the embarrassingly pish poor, defensive display against sevco, alscot has every right to be holding judgement.

long may the way he is currently lining up continue. Be interesting to see how we line up in the next games against celtic and sevco. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1