Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

20 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I want Aberdeen to win every game.

If we are doing alright then the management team will be staying on.

This is the best second best start to a season in the last 20+ years.

2 wins out of 3 this week and it's becoming the best start in 25-30 years.

I agree. 

However, he's had his head turned a couple of times already (Sunderland and Huns) and despite protestations to the contrary was interested in the Scotland job when Clarke got it. 

He may have changed his ambitions since then but history tells us he's open to other options. 

Edit: meant to respond with this to your previous post rather than this one 

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Yes. I just think he'll always be a nearly man, 4th on the list at the bookies.

Ok if Clarke quit this weekend maybe he's at the top of the pile (very debatable by the way) but another day when it becomes available what's happening at that point; who is out of work, who has emerged as an upcoming manager and he doesn't need to be Scottish (Michael O'Neill could be out of work next time for example).

Davie Moyes I wouldn't choose personally but he's always been in the running the last few times.

What's Alex Neil doing when the job comes up.

Gary Macaliister would be a shout potentially

Other candidates might be in the right place at the right time. 

Derek will have a tiny window and I also don't believe for one second Derek will leave in June 2022. If he's not staying longer his position becomes untenable as soon as he's effectively been 'sacked' when the decision not to extend is made.

It's all just 2+2=48

The Scotland job doesn't pay enough to interest Moyes for the time being. I can only see him taking it once he's past 60 and has exhausted all his options in the EPL and Championship.

Alex Neil is just too young at present. He also  might be in with a shout of the Celtic job once the little ginger bastard gets his jotters.

McAllister hasn't been a manager for years, and when he was, at Coventry and Leeds, didn't last very long at all. I could only see him being a candidate if 2 or 3 others got offered the job and turned it down.

Jack Ross also too young.

That leaves McInnes as the obvious candidate.....perhaps as much by default as anything else....his contract runs out at a very convenient time. But McInnes has made no secret of wanting to manage in England again. Whether England is quite so keen on him heading back there is another question altogether. If he can't get himself a job at the level he thinks he deserves then I think he will take it.

47 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Jack Ross also too young.

That leaves McInnes as the obvious candidate.....perhaps as much by default as anything else....his contract runs out at a very convenient time. But McInnes has made no secret of wanting to manage in England again. Whether England is quite so keen on him heading back there is another question altogether. If he can't get himself a job at the level he thinks he deserves then I think he will take it.

There’s only 5 years between Ross and McInnes.

Scott Gemmill may be a long shout. Seems to be working up the levels within the Scotland set-up

52 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

There’s only 5 years between Ross and McInnes.

Scott Gemmill may be a long shout. Seems to be working up the levels within the Scotland set-up

McInnes has almost exactly 13 years managerial experience, 11.5 of which are at SPL or English Championship level

Ross has coming up for 5 years managerial experience, only 1 of which is at an equivalent level to McInnes' highest levels (I get that Sunderland are a big club but he couldn't get them out EFL1 despite their huge financial advantage over the majority of their opponents)

16 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I want Aberdeen to win every game.

If we are doing alright then the management team will be staying on.

This is the best second best start to a season in the last 20+ years.

2 wins out of 3 this week and it's becoming the best start in 25-30 years.

I started reading that in a very positive way.... but then I couldnt help but think about how many shite starts we have had in the last 25-30 years!

Just glad it wasn’t 6,or 8 

never thought we had a chance even before latter loss of Wright & Ferguson but doesn’t excuse that the side on pitch consisted of a whole lot of wage thief’s & imposters that have been classed as starting 11 players numerous times by the manager.

Dont think even he would be stupid enough to excuse them as reserves really.

• Downvote 1

Same situation as before.  Is paid and expected to come 3rd.  Making a decent enough job of it.  4-0 arse renders at the hands of the cheeks wont change that from his own perspective nor that of the club.  Fans yet to be convinced.  They were on the point of revolt with the hoofball shit of last year.  Better stuff on the deck had bought time and favour this year.

3 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

What manager would have avoided a doing against a team flying at the top of the table and with 9 first team players out?

I don’t think anyone expected us to go there and get a result today, and his hands are tied financially in putting a squad together, however it’s the manner of games against the dirty pair that rankles most folk.

Someone mentioned seeing a couple of players coming out for the second half laughing and joking.Fuck sake he should have his players fired up to try and get something from the game.

We are all well aware the squad was decimated by various things, but the least you want to see is an attempt at a performance.

A few notable results apart, we frequently fold to these cunts-particularly the Tims.

It is generally accepted that we will be fighting to get third every season, but that attitude seems to give us such an inferiority complex when playing those two.

It’s sickening that we rarely lay a glove on either of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My problem with Mcinnes is his inability to set a team up to frustrate and compete against the Cheeks, he has always believed we cannot compete at all with the cheeks and this transmits to his players. They looked Today and have many times in the past completely devoid of any ideas and nobody looked as if they knew what they were doing tactically. No idea what the plan was meant to be with Edmondson, why play 2 strikers when you are parking the bus. As we all know Mcinnes is tasked with 3rd place and maybe a cup final and I cant see that changing anytime soon. He gets away with it Today due to the lack of players but I really believe if we had a full team the result would have been no different

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

McInnes isn't a bad manager but he maybe is too much of a pragmatist. Having said that, Pep Guardiola could have been in charge of us today and I very much doubt he would have achieved a better result. I get some of us feel that we should have gone all out attack with nothing to lose. Hmmm had we done that and suffered a Hamilton-esque 8-0 or worse horsing then this place would have been in utter meltdown. 

Exactly that.  Could anyone have got a better result today?  Doubtful.  Could anyone have had us better prepared for matchday1?  I’ll say almost certainly yes although they’re not individuals I’d want in as a long term manager. As someone said above.  We now have a mental block to two teams above us which has emanated from us not having a go when they were shite.  Just respect all the way.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Which players were laughing and joking? I missed that 

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

15 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

My problem with Mcinnes is his inability to set a team up to frustrate and compete against the Cheeks, he has always believed we cannot compete at all with the cheeks and this transmits to his players. They looked Today and have many times in the past completely devoid of any ideas and nobody looked as if they knew what they were doing tactically. No idea what the plan was meant to be with Edmondson, why play 2 strikers when you are parking the bus. As we all know Mcinnes is tasked with 3rd place and maybe a cup final and I cant see that changing anytime soon. He gets away with it Today due to the lack of players but I really believe if we had a full team the result would have been no different

Yep, he conveys it to the players, possibly unknowingly in his demeanour, things he says etc.

• Downvote 1
23 hours ago, Sheepo said:

Excellent post.

I've said this for the last 18 months or so, but we have hit the peak of McInnes's capabilities, in the same way Calderwood ran his course after 3/4 seasons. Like that era before, we are going backwards as a result. I would say that, despite the subsequent failure of McGhee, we were right to recognise (albeit belatedly) back in 2009 that we were regressing considerably and a change was needed. If Cormack is as ambitious as he portrays (and I have no reason to disbelieve him at this stage) then he will have recognised this and been succession planning before now.

And no, I won't indulge the happy clappers and their "who else can we get?" or the "could you do any better?" rhetoric. The Board are paid to do such things and should know how to source suitable replacements.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
40 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Excellent post.

I've said this for the last 18 months or so, but we have hit the peak of McInnes's capabilities, in the same way Calderwood ran his course after 3/4 seasons. Like that era before, we are going backwards as a result. I would say that, despite the subsequent failure of McGhee, we were right to recognise (albeit belatedly) back in 2009 that we were regressing considerably and a change was needed. If Cormack is as ambitious as he portrays (and I have no reason to disbelieve him at this stage) then he will have recognised this and been succession planning before now.

And no, I won't indulge the happy clappers and their "who else can we get?" or the "could you do any better?" rhetoric. The Board are paid to do such things and should know how to source suitable replacements.

The timing needs to be right. The changes to the uefa tournaments and the increase in coefficient (primarily because of the huns) means we probably need to stick with old derek this season as he's very likely to get 3rd. Twisting at this point is an unncecessary risk. Putting aside the mortgage required to pay him off.

Some time between April and June then DC and DM will probably need to decide if he's staying on or going and if he is going what is it going to look like - does he run the whole contract down, is there a parting of ways early or what.

11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

The timing needs to be right. The changes to the uefa tournaments and the increase in coefficient (primarily because of the huns) means we probably need to stick with old derek this season as he's very likely to get 3rd. Twisting at this point is an unncecessary risk. Putting aside the mortgage required to pay him off.

Some time between April and June then DC and DM will probably need to decide if he's staying on or going and if he is going what is it going to look like - does he run the whole contract down, is there a parting of ways early or what.

Are you ruling out another contract extension? 

13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Are you ruling out another contract extension? 

I am

If he wins us another  trophy his ambition to manage in England again should become viable. If he doesn't, he sees out his contract, and takes over from Clarke as Scotland boss after the Qatar WC finals. A bit sooner in the year if we fail to qualify