Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

The only way in my eyes he gets a contract extension is with silverware or qualification to Europa League. I suspect he and the club will be celebrating qualifying for whatever this 3rd tier  European competition ends up being...

The danger now is that 8 or eventually 9 years down the line is that we are missing a fresh approach to football coaching, training and management... This is no empire he's building it's merely a tenure.  I'm desperate to see and hear something and someone new.

13 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I wouldn't be too sure. 

Not beyond the realms of possibility that Cormack gives him another extension if we have a good season this year. 

Cormack isn't Milne. We cannot be offering a pay increase on his already bloated present contract. Of course if he won us another Cup then I'm sure we would feel obliged to offer a new one but I think Cormack would be clever and do so on terms a good bit less than on his present contract, in the hope that an English club also shows an interest and McInnes follows the path that he has always wanted to. 

On the other hand, there are still guys on here who somehow think we might bullet McInnes before his contract expires. We most certainly wont be doing that, paying up whatever residual portion remains of his contract whilst bringing in a new managerial team on top.

35 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Cormack isn't Milne. We cannot be offering a pay increase on his already bloated present contract. Of course if he won us another Cup then I'm sure we would feel obliged to offer a new one but I think Cormack would be clever and do so on terms a good bit less than on his present contract, in the hope that an English club also shows an interest and McInnes follows the path that he has always wanted to. 

On the other hand, there are still guys on here who somehow think we might bullet McInnes before his contract expires. We most certainly wont be doing that, paying up whatever residual portion remains of his contract whilst bringing in a new managerial team on top.

It doesn't automatically follow that he'll get a pay rise.  If anything he might get offered less. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

He’s naw getting a club in England that's for sure. 

15 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I wouldn't be too sure. 

Not beyond the realms of possibility that Cormack gives him another extension if we have a good season this year. 

Yes, and thats a good season by Cormacks yardstick, not the fans.  And as someone else correctly pointed out, its not Milne's either hence the nonsensical comparison to this era and calderwoods

Aye we won't be paying him up anytime soon... But he also won't be rushing to England either... His CV at Aberdeen is basically won a cup on after the most turgid 0-0 you can imagine and coasted against some of the weakest Celtic teams in recent times and when the might Glasgow Rangers returned did the least that was expected of him... (and even then still managed to under perform...). He'll be lucky to get an English League 1 side at this rate.

I doubt there has been many on here more critical of McInnes over the past two or so years than myself.

But I'm unable to cricticise him for Sunday.

It was nine 1st team starting players who were unavailable to him.

Five or six definite starters, then the 3 or 4 who would have moved into the positions vacated by the definites.

He has improved the style of play and approach to games massively this season compared to the last two seasons.

Whether this is down to being telt by Cormack, (as I had disclosed on here when the chairman came aboard ? ), or some self motivated change in footballing philosophy, I do not ken.
What I do ken though, is that from wherever it came, it is making a big difference, as I think the vast majority would agree, we are much better to watch this season. Generally.

Has my backing again for now.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

I doubt there has been many on here more critical of McInnes over the past two or so years than myself.

Five or six definite starters, then the 3 or 4 who would have moved into the positions vacated by the definites.

He has improved the style of play and approach to games massively this season compared to the last two seasons.

Whether this is down to being telt by Cormack, (as I had disclosed on here when the chairman came aboard ? ), or some self motivated change in footballing philosophy, I do not ken.
What I do ken though, is that from wherever it came, it is making a big difference, as I think the vast majority would agree, we are much better to watch this season. Generally.

Pretty much my stance on things at the moment too.

19 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Good summation.

I think he might need a cup win between now & contract expiry to be offered another one though? 
If not, it might be a natural time for a parting of the ways

• Downvote 1

Some fair points guys, I don't hold him accountable for the deceased diseased result. What I do hold him to account for, is that like the majority of the media and OF establishment (and those in awe of it who call themselves pundits) he has meekly accepted that the promotion of Sevco to the SPL heralded the return of some kind of fabled natural order and that we should all fall into line and fish for scraps at the table.

With this attitude, we may as well just hand them both all the trophies at the start of every season and let them fight it out. I can think of few, if any, countries, where such a fawning mentality exists and where there is such poor competition. For the record, I stand by my view of the last few years that McInnes won't deliver a second trophy with us.

Yes, corruption plays its part, but I think the next manager should be someone from outside Scotland, who will give them two absolutely no respect and will come in with both a clean slate and a desire to go for their jugular. If we lose, we lose, but at least we'll have a real go at them and not back off from and/or lie down to them.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Some fair points guys, I don't hold him accountable for the deceased diseased result. What I do hold him to account for, is that like the majority of the media and OF establishment (and those in awe of it who call themselves pundits) he has meekly accepted that the promotion of Sevco to the SPL heralded the return of some kind of fabled natural order and that we should all fall into line and fish for scraps at the table.

With this attitude, we may as well just hand them both all the trophies at the start of every season and let them fight it out. I can think of few, if any, countries, where such a fawning mentality exists and where there is such poor competition. For the record, I stand by my view of the last few years that McInnes won't deliver a second trophy with us.

Yes, corruption plays its part, but I think the next manager should be someone from outside Scotland, who will give them two absolutely no respect and will come in with both a clean slate and a desire to go for their jugular. If we lose, we lose, but at least we'll have a real go at them and not back off from and/or lie down to them.

Good post Jocky 

• Upvote 1

Really grim post match interview. Even with those players out we should have more than enough to beat Hamilton.

Just woeful, woeful stuff. Predictable, uninteresting and easy to defend against. 

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Really grim post match interview. Even with those players out we should have more than enough to beat Hamilton.

Just woeful, woeful stuff. Predictable, uninteresting and easy to defend against. 

I agree about the interview.

Saying “we’ll take the positives, we got a point at a difficult venue & we’re back in 3rd” was horrible to hear.

Negative mentality. 

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Saying “we’ll take the positives, we got a point at a difficult venue & we’re back in 3rd” was horrible to hear.

Negative mentality. 

It really is absolute loser talk. Justifying that utter abomination of a 2nd half only perpetuates they cycle of mediocrity we're in. 

21 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

That was a big one for him tonight. However I think it was a more difficult task than many think.

Not really difficult.

We were comfortable and under zero threat in the first half.

Nine players unavailable isn’t good obviously but should still have enough to get a 1-0 at Hamilton.

St Mirren away in the cup will be tougher & it’ll be the same squad. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It also shows that McInnes aims for 3rd with no ambition to even challenge for higher. 

I’m not defending McInnes, but who walks into a Scottish club that isn’t one of the arse cheeks and seriously thinks they’ve a chance to win the league?

Add in our seemingly happy to be the best of the rest attitude with semi finals being the benchmark in the cup competitions.

Scottish football out with those two is a collective loser mentality.

When the chairman of your own club wanks himself daft over the return of the Huns, you know the game’s a bogey!

14 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not really difficult.

We were comfortable and under zero threat in the first half.

Nine players unavailable isn’t good obviously but should still have enough to get a 1-0 at Hamilton.

St Mirren away in the cup will be tougher & it’ll be the same squad. 

unfortunately i was more surprised by how easy it was initially than how it ended up.

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Negative mentality. 

Fkn difficult venue my arse, difficult for fkn who? Only fkn us.

only game Accies have won at home this season is a 2-1 win v Ayr Utd.
Only other game they haven’t lost at home is a 1-1 draw with Dundee Utd. McInnes should have been laughed at by the interviewer for that statement even with a team of ‘fringe’ players he has previously deemed good enough as first 11 players.

Guys a fkn joke

Back to the old problem.

is coasting to 3rd enough?  Yes. Shouldn’t be, but is.

is shifesting to 3rd enough?  Arguably no, and the answer is muddied when a Killie or Well pops up to make it 4th

Is simply being shit and in a dog fight for 3rd,4th, 5th enough?  Regrettably still yes.  The competitive nature actually hides the failings

This one is a different beast altogether.  Seemingly more than good enough to be easily 3rd (and even that second 11 should have seen off Hamilton), but are for some bizarre reason adept at fucking it up.  

Hate to use a rocketism but just weak.

8 hours ago, YorkDon said:

I’m not defending McInnes, but who walks into a Scottish club that isn’t one of the arse cheeks and seriously thinks they’ve a chance to win the league?

Add in our seemingly happy to be the best of the rest attitude with semi finals being the benchmark in the cup competitions.

Scottish football out with those two is a collective loser mentality.

When the chairman of your own club wanks himself daft over the return of the Huns, you know the game’s a bogey!

He's been in charge for 7 years. He's got the biggest budget in our history. He's built this squad. He's been supported to bring in further players when we've been hit by injuries. 

What's the point in it all if the aim is to be 3rd and never, ever hope to do better? What exactly are we building for?