Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

40 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

The thing pissing me off just now is that some twats on certain social media are saying some fans are disrespecting the manager.  The fucker has taken the piss for to long.  Been rapidly downhill since the Rainjurs carry on.  We are entitled to our opinions.  It's like a mini version of the world.  No opposing of the narrative allowed.

Happy clappers on Facebook I’d guess?

Same folk that come out with “best manager since Fergie” “who else could we get?” “be careful what you wish for” etc etc 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Happy clappers on Facebook I’d guess?

Same folk that come out with “best manager since Fergie” “who else could we get?” “be careful what you wish for” etc etc 

The best manager since Fergie is always an absolutely hilarious argument if they look at win percentage and that alone. 

Much of McInnes' tenure has had our direct rivals in Hearts and Hibs in and out the league, as well as Dundee United. Rangers too.

With all of these teams out the league, it would be absolutely criminal for an Aberdeen manager to not finish 2nd. Which he did a fair few times, and to his credit. 

I just can't stand the argument that because hearts, Hibs and United were falling apart, we should be happy that we weren't as shit as that.

53 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

The thing pissing me off just now is that some twats on certain social media are saying some fans are disrespecting the manager.  The fucker has taken the piss for to long.  Been rapidly downhill since the Rainjurs carry on.  We are entitled to our opinions.  It's like a mini version of the world.  No opposing of the narrative allowed.

The guy is probably the highest paid non old firm manager ever. When you consider things like DNA, fans buying season tickets etc they are quite entitled to say what they like. 

If we can all accept that the league will be unattainable for the foreseeable future, fans are entitled to demand a better standard of play when you factor in his wages and the price of tickets etc. 

If McInnes actually liked AFC as much as he claims to, he would've left a while back. 

People will look at the fact he said no to Sunderland and Rangers as him being loyal, but the reality is, he was clever enough to see that at those exact moments, that those clubs were a total mess, and he would've likely got the chop a few months down the line, and he'd be back to square 1. 

But no, he was offered ridiculous money by Milne, so he couldn't say no. He'll be earning more now as Dons manager than he would've had he went to Sunderland or Rangers at those times. 

AFC has been as good to McInnes as he has to us. He's being paid very handsomely for a substandard performance. 

19 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The best manager since Fergie is always an absolutely hilarious argument if they look at win percentage and that alone. 

Much of McInnes' tenure has had our direct rivals in Hearts and Hibs in and out the league, as well as Dundee United. Rangers too.

With all of these teams out the league, it would be absolutely criminal for an Aberdeen manager to not finish 2nd. Which he did a fair few times, and to his credit. 

I just can't stand the argument that because hearts, Hibs and United were falling apart, we should be happy that we weren't as shit as that.

The Alex Smith Dons team would wipe the floor with any of the McInnes teams

Smith gets loads of stick (rightly) about changing the formation for that game on 11/5/91, but he was still a more successful manager than McInnes will ever be. 

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yep, 2nd should’ve been the bare minimum until the huns came back in to the league.

As has been done to death here, he is extremely well paid, he’s had ample cash to build a decent squad, but we are in terminal decline under McInnes.

I think (hope) that a mutual parting of the ways in the Summer is the natural end to his tenure.

Yes, he has brought a lot to the club, and we thank him for it, but we could, and probably should, have had more to show for his time here, and it’s time for a change.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Thats a silly argument

Our direct rivals are whoever is in the league doing well that season

There's plenty to moan about with mcinnes but that isn't one of them 

Pipped to 3rd by Motherwell twice and Kilmarnock once. Pipped Rangers to second (admirably) on 2 occasions. That's bang average. 

Whoever wins the league cup this season, will have been more successful than Aberdeen in the last 20 years. Hibs will have two major trophies in that time, Ross County 2, St.Mirren 2, and St Johnstone 2. Technically, all these clubs will have been more successful in terms of silverware than AFC, since Dereks appointment. That's a damning indictment of McInnes' tenure. 

How long can one guy last in a job with one cup win 7 years ago, and a failure to qualify for European competition even once? 

For what we spend, we should also have the best points total against the Old Firm. We don't. 

18 points from 102 available. It's brutal. 

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Pipped to 3rd by Motherwell twice and Kilmarnock once. Pipped Rangers to second (admirably) on 2 occasions. That's bang average. 

Whoever wins the league cup this season, will have been more successful than Aberdeen in the last 20 years. Hibs will have two major trophies in that time, Ross County 2, St.Mirren 2, and St Johnstone 2. Technically, all these clubs will have been more successful in terms of silverware than AFC, since Dereks appointment. That's a damning indictment of McInnes' tenure. 

How long can one guy last in a job with one cup win 7 years ago, and a failure to qualify for European competition even once? 

For what we spend, we should also have the best points total against the Old Firm. We don't. 

That’s something that needs to be pointed out the media who come out with the “be careful what you wish for” cliched shite.

It’s lazy “journalism”.  

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That’s something that needs to be pointed out the media who come out with the “be careful what you wish for” cliched shite.

It’s lazy “journalism”.  

I would rather we had erratic league positions, and cup success. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but one cup win in 8 years whilst we've been consistent enough in the league is the most frustrating part of it all. 

11 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The only thing i would defend mcinnes on is on the "pipped twice by motherwell". The first one was a fucking calamity of a decision by Steven Mclean not to award the foul.

Out of curiosity who does have the best points total against the old firm, Hibs?

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I would rather we had erratic league positions, and cup success. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but one cup win in 8 years whilst we've been consistent enough in the league is the most frustrating part of it all. 

I agree.

Even 1 Scottish Cup win (added to the League Cup) and top 2-4 finishes, & you’d say he was a successful & good manager for us.

Overall he’s done a pretty decent job, given us credibility back, but post Rogic Cup Final, it’s been a steady regression & he can’t/won’t stop it. 

I get all the points about League placings and lack of trophies Etc. but for me the biggest failing is the horrific brand of football Mcinnes employs, if you look back over a season especially at Pittodrie how many games do we come away from and say I really enjoyed that not many in my opinion, we do win our fair share normally but they are mostly dire affairs

5 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

The only thing i would defend mcinnes on is on the "pipped twice by motherwell". The first one was a fucking calamity of a decision by Steven Mclean not to award the foul.

Out of curiosity who does have the best points total against the old firm, Hibs?

Killie. Having played less games. Hibs are better than us as well, having played even less games against them than Killie have. 

This is since the hun return in 16/17, I should add. 

4 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I agree.

Even 1 Scottish Cup win (added to the League Cup) and top 2-4 finishes, & you’d say he was a successful & good manager for us.

Overall he’s done a pretty decent job, given us credibility back, but post Rogic Cup Final, it’s been a steady regression & he can’t/won’t stop it. 

He's been a fantastic manager for us. No question. 

It's reaching the point of anger though, because of his own limitations. I don't think anyone wants him to leave in the way he'll end up going, but it is what it is. He's too arrogant to see his own failings, and too stubborn to change. 

Guest findlay_1903
14 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

I get all the points about League placings and lack of trophies Etc. but for me the biggest failing is the horrific brand of football Mcinnes employs, if you look back over a season especially at Pittodrie how many games do we come away from and say I really enjoyed that not many in my opinion, we do win our fair share normally but they are mostly dire affairs

That not just FITBA (?‍♀️) in general? I’ve been going 22 or so years, rarely we have consistent entertaining footy. Also not defending mcinnes, think it’s becoming the end of his era. He’s done a good job, nothing more nothing less, certainly doesn’t deserve being trolled by our fans. If you take out the Fergie years, Aberdeen win a trophy on average every 16 year. I don’t doubt for one minute mcinnes would of won more if it wasn’t for a once in a generation Celtic side. He’s been unfortunate in that sense. But also blew chances too this years league cup a prime example. Europe has been frustrating too, I think he’ll walk in the summer tbh. 

31 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

That not just FITBA (?‍♀️) in general? I’ve been going 22 or so years, rarely we have consistent entertaining footy. Also not defending mcinnes, think it’s becoming the end of his era. He’s done a good job, nothing more nothing less, certainly doesn’t deserve being trolled by our fans. If you take out the Fergie years, Aberdeen win a trophy on average every 16 year. I don’t doubt for one minute mcinnes would of won more if it wasn’t for a once in a generation Celtic side. He’s been unfortunate in that sense. But also blew chances too this years league cup a prime example. Europe has been frustrating too, I think he’ll walk in the summer tbh. 

If we haven't been entertained for 22 years, surely even more reason to ask to see something worth paying money for? 

We've played Celtic at Hampden 4/5 times under McInnes, not once have we taken them to extra time. We've been beaten in the 90 every time. Hearts comparatively, have ran them within a ballhair the last two SC finals. 

I think our aggregate score against Celtic at Hampden under McInnes is something like 13-1. 

Pretty poor whatever way you look at it. Not sure we've made their keeper make a save in the last 3 times we've played them there. Which is also shite, especially with how bad they are this season. 

Turned up and got out bellies tickled, every single time. Aside from the Scottish cup 2017, which we lost anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

If we haven't been entertained for 22 years, surely even more reason to ask to see something worth paying money for? 

We've played Celtic at Hampden 4/5 times under McInnes, not once have we taken them to extra time. We've been beaten in the 90 every time. Hearts comparatively, have ran them within a ballhair the last two SC finals. 

I think our aggregate score against Celtic at Hampden under McInnes is something like 13-1. 

Pretty poor whatever way you look at it. Not sure we've made their keeper make a save in the last 3 times we've played them there. Which is also shite, especially with how bad they were last season. 

Turned up and got out bellies tickled, every single time. Aside from the Scottish cup 2017, which we lost anyway. 

There were two games where I felt we did ourselves justice in that run of semis and finals. 

The 2017 final and then the League Cup  when GMS got flattened and we should have had a stonewall penalty.  We were looking up for it that day before he got stretchered off. 

37 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Nonsense, it was terrible goalkeeping by Langfield, came for the free kick, stopped, tried to jump from a standing position and was outjumped.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

There were two games where I felt we did ourselves justice in that run of semis and finals. 

The 2017 final and then the League Cup  when GMS got flattened and we should have had a stonewall penalty.  We were looking up for it that day before he got stretchered off. 

The Cup Final where we were denied that penalty, we didn't have a single shot on target in the 90. The closest we came to scoring was when Simunovic rattled his own bar out of nowhere. 

I agree we looked ok (ish) that day. Still, a defeat without working their keeper. They were barely out of second gear and they had just played in Europe on the Thursday, if I remember. Another opportunity missed. 

Should've had 2nd tied up weeks before. 

Drew with Caley and St Johnstone, gubbed by Celtic, beat United (Vernon Hatrick) then crisp packet hands flapped at that late goal vs Motherwell. 

Had we beaten Caley or St Johnstone 2nd would've been done before the Motherwell game 

Even before the split we dropped points at bottom of the league Hearts 

16 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

The Cup Final where we were denied that penalty, we didn't have a single shot on target in the 90. The closest we came to scoring was when Simunovic rattled his own bar out of nowhere. 

I agree we looked ok (ish) that day. Still, a defeat without working their keeper. They were barely out of second gear and they had just played in Europe on the Thursday, if I remember. Another opportunity missed. 

I thought we were handling them OK until the GMS incident.  

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

I thought we were handling them OK until the GMS incident.  

That was fairly early on, no? 

It wasn't like the Scottish Cup final.