Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

I don’t think anyone would argue that McInnes has been a good manager overall for the club and achieved a level of consistency that has kept us at the right end of the table. We’ve reached a few finals and had 1 trophy success which came early in his tenure against opposition we were expected to beat. Whenever we rock up as underdogs though, we crash and burn. I think most fans can see things have plateaued under McInnes these last few seasons and are quite possibly going into reverse now. We seem incapable of taking that next step up the progress ladder that might bring some success or higher achievement. We’ve hit the buffers. We’ve found ourselves in some positive situations over the last few seasons but don’t seem to have the mentality to push ourselves to that next level. The manager is ultimately responsible for putting together a squad and instilling that belief in them but he just seems to have run out of ideas. We need fresh impetus and a new vision which hopefully a change in management would bring. Some players are too comfortable and need a kick up the arse. The first real test of Cormack’s tenure will be to source a suitable replacement for McInnes.

Agree with the above. We need a fresh set of hands to take a look at what is a very good squad.

When McInnes came in we were fairly poor but had a few quality under performing players. He came in and got his recruitment bang on in his first season. Flood, Robson, Logan and Rooney were huge signings. Then he got McGinn, Hayes, Jack, Anderson and Reynolds doing what they should be doing. Someone else needs to come in and take a look at the squad and do similar. 

3 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Agree with the above. We need a fresh set of hands to take a look at what is a very good squad.

When McInnes came in we were fairly poor but had a few quality under performing players. He came in and got his recruitment bang on in his first season. Flood, Robson, Logan and Rooney were huge signings. Then he got McGinn, Hayes, Jack, Anderson and Reynolds doing what they should be doing. Someone else needs to come in and take a look at the squad and do similar. 

But it’s not “a very good squad” though.

It’s a big squad, just not a particularly good one. 

8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

But it’s not “a very good squad” though.

It’s a big squad, just not a particularly good one. 

Its all opinions, so there is no right or wrong. But I think it is a good squad. Compared to what other managers have inherited. Pretty much every regular player we have would go straight into a Hibs, Livingston or Dundee United XI.... which makes me think we should be sitting 2nd in the league right now if we were even having a half decent season.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

You could argue Ferguson and McCrorie have turned to shit as well but a half decent manager can reverse that trend.

We clearly need Fresh ideas and a change of mentality at the club that will not be achieved with Mcinnes at the helm. We need to be able to get fans back once the pandemic is over and the way things are going they will struggle to get the existing ST holders back never mind new ones. There are a few games that stand out to me as games that will live long in the memory under Mcinnes and the St Johstone League Cup Semi in 2014 was the most memorable, just the atmosphere at Tynecastle and the performance were electric. I really thought that day we were back as a real force and we would kick on, but that had all fizzled out by the start of the 2017/2018 season and with hindsight Mcinnes would have done us a favour by taking the Sunderland gig

11 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yep

Really starting to go off Lewis

It might not be linked, but ever since being made captain he has fucked up a lot

Been saying it for months

Too many here are blinded by Langfield's time with us and make Lewis out to be far better than he actually is.

Remember....we signed him from Cardiff. Where he was their back up ffs. He's a good goalkeeper but never in a million years is he a great one

• Downvote 2
14 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Its all opinions, so there is no right or wrong. But I think it is a good squad. Compared to what other managers have inherited. Pretty much every regular player we have would go straight into a Hibs, Livingston or Dundee United XI.... which makes me think we should be sitting 2nd in the league right now if we were even having a half decent season.

We should definitely be pushing Celtic for 2nd this season. They're unquestionably out of sorts but again it comes down to our inability to take advantage of these opportunities. We've switched off against teams languishing at the bottom of the table. Arguably we've also had some terrible luck with injuries and the impacts of Covid on both ourselves and the opposition but the biggest problem has been our misfiring strikers.

18 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

But he also has his weegie media pals  right up his arse too, 

So not getting held to account 

He's always been a sharp, calculating, cookie in that regard. And of course his Hunnish history is always as good as a masonic handshake, in terms of friends in high places.

Going way back to his days at St Johnstone, we was never off the radio in regards to making himself available for an interview here, an interview there, and then even his days in Bristol, he was a regular on Sportsound for when they had a lazy thursday night show to fill out.

All done with an eye on getting a sympathetic backing from the Weegia, when things get shaky. Like now.......

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The Alex Smith Dons team would wipe the floor with any of the McInnes teams

Smith gets loads of stick (rightly) about changing the formation for that game on 11/5/91, but he was still a more successful manager than McInnes will ever be. 

Millers 92/93 team would piss all over them as well

Matters not a jot what the weegia are saying about you when your undisguised ambition is to manage in England once more. 

A few years back, West Brom fans assumed he would manage them at some point in the not too distant future. That ship hasn't just sailed now.....it's been torpedoed and is rusting at the bottom of the ocean.

Can't even see bottom end Championship clubs viewing McInnes as the man to lead them to safety and future better things.

Charlton in EFL1 are on the fringes of the promotion race there but have played more matches than anyone else in the top 9. If they lose ground in the next few weeks then potentially there might be a vacancy that he thinks befits his status. I'm pinning my hopes on this

I think his stock was high down south when he got offered the Sunderland job, not so confident it is now. His signing's are dubious to say the least and the brand of football he manages is terrible therefore  do not think he will get a decent gig down south. He will probably end up at Motherwell / Hibs when Jack Ross moves on and do a 'decent' job. Decent meaning a safe league position with the odd Cup semi appearance.

3 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

Do we count the guys he signed twice two times? Stewart was posh both times, Dom Ball was OK second time when actually played in his correct position.

Was Ball here on 2 separate occasions?

I had counted him as overall he was ok apart from that one disaster of a performance at RB. Stewart I hadn't.

A couple others like Cerny and Alexander I'd classed as a decent signing, despite their contributions on the pitch being minimal. 

58 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We have a decent enough starting X1 when folk are available. 
I’m talking about the back up. Folk like Logan, Ojo. 

And look at the forwards we have to pick from;

Cosgrove, Main & Anderson FFS.

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think he'll be Scotland manager after Clarke. 

Every chance, but it would be a default appointment. His only real challenger would be Moyes but he's doing ok at West Ham right now and even if that were to change and he found himself out of a job in 12 months time, I still think he'd only take it if there was nothing else available and he'd ask for a release clause if an EPL or ECL club came in for him.

Alex Neil would think he's too young at the minute, as would Jack Ross

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Every chance, but it would be a default appointment. His only real challenger would be Moyes but he's doing ok at West Ham right now and even if that were to change and he found himself out of a job in 12 months time, I still think he'd only take it if there was nothing else available and he'd ask for a release clause if an EPL or ECL club came in for him.

Alex Neil would think he's too young at the minute, as would Jack Ross

My understanding is that contrary to the spin at the time he was in discussions re the Scotland job. 

My gut feel is that he would want to finish here in summer 2022 and take over from Clarke at that point. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't all been worked out already tbh. 

49 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

He's always been a sharp, calculating, cookie in that regard. And of course his Hunnish history is always as good as a masonic handshake, in terms of friends in high places.

Going way back to his days at St Johnstone, we was never off the radio in regards to making himself available for an interview here, an interview there, and then even his days in Bristol, he was a regular on Sportsound for when they had a lazy thursday night show to fill out.

All done with an eye on getting a sympathetic backing from the Weegia, when things get shaky. Like now.......

Aye sleekit behavior 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

My understanding is that contrary to the spin at the time he was in discussions re the Scotland job. 

My gut feel is that he would want to finish here in summer 2022 and take over from Clarke at that point. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't all been worked out already tbh. 

The only problem with that is if Clarke takes us to Qatar which is held in the Nov/Dec. Although it's not as if he's short of a bob or 2. He might even quite fancy a 6 month break.

But if Scotland fail to qualify then I'm sure Clarke will resign. That would work out perfectly if Cormack chooses to ignore the wishes of our support and keeps DM in place till the end of his contract

Catch up on the thread......

We do have a very good squad. The 25 man squad assembled this summer was very decent. Since then some players, and most importantly Cosgrove, have been a big let down and that's exaggerating our shitness. We currently have Hernandez, Cosgrove, McGinn, Ojo, Logan, McGeouch and Devlin all being counted as zero. On paper they are players that can contribute.

And one trophy in 8 years is good enough. It's two trophies in 31 years that is not good enough.

• Dildo 1
41 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Was Ball here on 2 separate occasions?

I had counted him as overall he was ok apart from that one disaster of a performance at RB. Stewart I hadn't.

A couple others like Cerny and Alexander I'd classed as a decent signing, despite their contributions on the pitch being minimal. 

I'm pretty sure he was on the list of players that got let go and thanked for their efforts at the end of a season then he got signed up again next season just before the Burnley game? If so, that's signing him twice in my book. Maybe I'm talking shite.

Unbelievable that he signed Stewart twice and he was shit both times yet he still would have signed him a third time. A special type of special is Del Boy at times.

1 minute ago, Redmist1903 said:

I'm pretty sure he was on the list of players that got let go and thanked for their efforts at the end of a season then he got signed up again next season just before the Burnley game? If so, that's signing him twice in my book. Maybe I'm talking shite.

Unbelievable that he signed Stewart twice and he was shit both times yet he still would have signed him a third time. A special type of special is Del Boy at times.

James Wilson was also shite first time around and that led to him getting a 2 Year deal

8 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

James Wilson was also shite first time around and that led to him getting a 2 Year deal

And then he wasn't played as a striker, when he did play, which was rare.