Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ahhh. Polls 6 months before an election took place and no election was announced. A bit irrelevant since there's no way of proving the accuracy of the poll, since no vote was undertaken anytime close to it. 

A bit like the latest poll on independence then given there's no referendum scheduled that I'm aware of?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, NEM said:

A bit like the latest poll on independence then given there's no referendum scheduled that I'm aware of?

Obviously. No one claimed there was. 

A poll at a point in time represents the situation at that point in time. 

In your initial post you used a poll from June 2019 on the basis of an election that happened 6 months later. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Obviously. No one claimed there was. 

A poll at a point in time represents the situation at that point in time. 

In your initial post you used a poll from June 2019 on the basis of an election that happened 6 months later. 

Yes which was just as meaningless as the one you posted.

20 minutes ago, NEM said:

Yes which was just as meaningless as the one you posted.

No. It shows the level of support at this point in time. Just like every other poll that's ever been done has measured support at the point in time that the fieldwork was done. 

Youve chosen a weird hill to die on here, NEM. 

I've posted a valid point which, being your usual condescending cunt self, you've tried to rubbish as nonsense but been caught out when I posted a link to the poll.

Polls are meaningless.  Until they hold another Scottish independence referendum the only poll that matters a fuck is the one carried out in 2014.

Just now, NEM said:

I've posted a valid point which, being your usual condescending cunt self, you've tried to rubbish as nonsense but been caught out when I posted a link to the poll.

Nah. You posted a heap of shite (in a condescending manner yourself first btw) about a poll 6 months before an election somehow being a reason to disregard any poll Panelbase ever produce. 

Just now, NEM said:

Polls are meaningless.  Until they hold another Scottish independence referendum the only poll that matters a fuck is the one carried out in 2014.

If you think all polls are meaningless you should've said that. I'd disagree and think they're useful in judging shifts in public opinion outwith election periods. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Nah. You posted a heap of shite (in a condescending manner yourself first btw) about a poll 6 months before an election somehow being a reason to disregard any poll Panelbase ever produce. 

If you think all polls are meaningless you should've said that. I'd disagree and think they're useful in judging shifts in public opinion outwith election periods. 

How is it a heap of shite?  I said panel base had Corbyn winning, they did.  I didn't give a date.

Are they?  When did they last accurately predict a major UK election or referendum result?

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

How is it a heap of shite?  I said panel base had Corbyn winning, they did.  I didn't give a date.

Because no election was held in June 2019 to confirm whether their polling was correct or not. 

2 minutes ago, NEM said:

Are they?  When did they last accurately predict a major UK election or referendum result?

The polls in the screenshot I posted above are all pretty close to the final result...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know, what would impress / convince me more, regarding separatist arguments on the GERS figures, would be for them to publish their own economic case for independence.

Then, we could see what set of figures we felt was more reasonable and we would also understand more about these "different economic choices" the SNP like to allude to.

Unfortunately, the SNP have just shat out of their own plan to publish exacty this.

It is difficult to conclude anything other than (i) that the SNP have no idea whatsoever regarding of the finance of an independent Scotland and (ii) the SNP do not feel they can significantly improve on the GERS figures for contemporary Scotland.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

You know, what would impress / convince me more, regarding separatist arguments on the GERS figures, would be for them to publish their own economic case for independence.

Then, we could see what set of figures we felt was more reasonable and we would also understand more about these "different economic choices" the SNP like to allude to.

Unfortunately, the SNP have just shat out of their own plan to publish exacty this.

It is difficult to conclude anything other than (i) that the SNP have no idea whatsoever regarding of the finance of an independent Scotland and (ii) the SNP do not feel they can significantly improve on the GERS figures for contemporary Scotland.

Mate, you believe a magical sky wizard created the world and that dinosaurs didn't exist. 

Not one person of substance gives a fuck what you think. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3
11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Mate, you believe a magical sky wizard created the world and that dinosaurs didn't exist. 

Not one person of substance gives a fuck what you think. 

Can only agree with the first part that you wrote however to completely ignore his comments does not help and is a classic tactic of deflection away from what is a valid point.

It's Saturday nights lads, you not got anything better to do than talk shite politics (as it is I am having a quick dump while watching 'official secrets' which is pretty good) hence why I am on here !

• Downvote 1
13 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Can only agree with the first part that you wrote however to completely ignore his comments does not help and is a classic tactic of deflection away from what is a valid point.

It's Saturday nights lads, you not got anything better to do than talk shite politics (as it is I am having a quick dump while watching 'official secrets' which is pretty good) hence why I am on here !

I've no interest in a discussion with someone who thinks the GERS (which attribute Scotland as the highest spending military nation on earth) are a reasonable source. 

You May think he makes a "valid point". I think he's using propaganda and talking utter shite. Each to their own. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

That Brian Taylor always comes across as a.very intelligent man . Articulate,confident and most erudite.

Can never understand how he can allow himself to be so fucking fat . 

I got a freebie at Tannadice and saw him in person. As wide as he is tall. His wife and son were similarly shaped.  Dunno how someone can let themselves get in to that shape. 

Guest milne_afc
32 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

That Brian Taylor always comes across as a.very intelligent man . Articulate,confident and most erudite.

Can never understand how he can allow himself to be so fucking fat . 

His fingers are fucking* disgusting 

*pardon my language 

Guest the shepherd
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I got a freebie at Tannadice and saw him in person. As wide as he is tall. His wife and son were similarly shaped.  Dunno how someone can let themselves get in to that shape. 

Food maybe?

22 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've no interest in a discussion with someone who thinks the GERS (which attribute Scotland as the highest spending military nation on earth) are a reasonable source. 

You May think he makes a "valid point". I think he's using propaganda and talking utter shite. Each to their own. 

Well, they are better figures than the ones which the SNP don't publish, aren't they?

This is the crux of the whole thing.  Show us that the figures are poor, don't just bitch about it.  But Sturgeon would rather another embarrassing U-turn, than put her own figures on the table (if she even has any).

And what is this nonsense about Scotland being the highest spending wrt military?

Norway, one of the SNP favourite comparison nations, had a military budget of £ 5.38 billion in 2019 - that's more than the £3.4 billion claimed for the Scotland, in a tweet above.

(I do think Scotland would probably spend less than that on its armed forces, as it would be desperate for money to prop up the artificial non-jobs in the bloated, over-sized public sector.)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
40 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Missing the point Buzz. Why's he munching on this food when he obviously knows its contributing towards his colossal girth? 

I worry about him. 

Aye sorry, you're right. Was just pointing out that he definitely doesn't appear to be taking any steps to lose some of that girth with what he continues to eat. 

14 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Well, they are better figures than the ones which the SNP don't publish, aren't they?

This is the crux of the whole thing.  Show us that the figures are poor, don't just bitch about it.  But Sturgeon would rather another embarrassing U-turn, than put her own figures on the table (if she even has any).

And what is this nonsense about Scotland being the highest spending wrt military?

Norway, one of the SNP favourite comparison nations, had a military budget of £ 5.38 billion in 2019 - that's more than the £3.4 billion claimed for the Scotland, in a tweet above.

(I do think Scotland would probably spend less than that on its armed forces, as it would be desperate for money to prop up the artificial non-jobs in the bloated, over-sized public sector.)

I've to give you made up figures, like the GERS? That's your line? 

No one (That's not a dense political partisan) claims the GERS are a reflection on the hypothetical finances of an Independent Scotland. You'd have to be pretty simple to actually believe that 8% of the UK (the 8% which is behind only London in terms of GDP per capita) makes 60% the UK deficit. If you want to believe that and belittle 5.5 million of your fellow citizens though, then crack on. 

• Upvote 3

The Scottish government is to set out its plans for a second independence referendum in a draft bill at Holyrood.

Ministers have accepted that there is "clearly" not time to hold a fresh vote before the Scottish Parliament elections in May 2021.

However, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said a draft bill would be published setting out the timescale and potential question for a new referendum.

The SNP will then "make the case" for this plan in the election campaign.

Opposition parties hit out at the move, with Scottish Conservatives accusing Ms Sturgeon of putting independence "front and centre" while delaying commitments to free childcare.