Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

That's hardly the big issue, the "fundamental question" that you're convinced that SNP supporters are scared to talk about.

You don't think the future currency off an independent Scotland is a big issue ? 

Suppose for a man of your means and wealth you won't care but for us less financially well off's (I can only dream of owing a Barbour jacket) it's a big deal.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

You don't think the future currency off an independent Scotland is a big issue ? 

Of course it is,  but it's not an insurmountable problem.  That wasn't your point though,  you said Nats didn't want to talk about it?   Maybe they just don't have the answer because it's a rhetorical question until the circumstances arise? 

8 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Suppose for a man of your means and wealth you won't care but for us less financially well off's (I can only dream of owing a Barbour jacket) it's a big deal.

I think it's been made in to a big deal by the Unionists and their media pals but in the grand scheme of things it really isn't important. 

I agree that the Yes side need to formulate a coherent and clear position on it & stick to it though, as folk have been convinced that it's massively important and as such, it's become a key issue. 

The currency thing looks like a red herring. It would be beneficial for Scots to overlook any ideological/party preferences and solely looked at each issue on its merits. I know, I know. The SNP appear to be a huge issue for a lot of anti or undecideds. It is pathetic that so many people still don't understand that a vote for independence does not equal a vote for the SNP. 

I hope that the country gets another chance to vote on self determination and weighs up the pros and cons of issues based on sound, proven, evidence based information not what colour badge the provider is wearing. Who really gives a fuck about the SNP or Tories or whoever when there appears to be (as an outsider) so much at stake?

9 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

All other countries manage why do you think Scotland would not?

6 minutes ago, eeps said:

Anyone looking at the absolute shitshow of the SNP and thinking 'more of that please' needs their head examined. 

Fixed that for you:

Anyone looking at the absolute shitshow of the Tory Party and thinking 'more of that please' needs their head examined. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, NEM said:

How has Sturgeon handled it well?  

Try and answer without mentioning the halfwits down south

Would not hold your breath for an answer.  We are all supposed to just accept that everything will work out just fine when we get independence and there is no need to ask questions around the economy and currency etc. because lets face it, it far better than what we currently have down south.

One question that Unionists never address is the inherent contradiction in the dual position they argue from. On one hand, they proclaim that the UK is "the most successful political union in the history of time (TM)", whilst simultaneously positing that Scotland is, somehow uniquely among small developed countries, incapable of being a successful and self-sustaining nation in its own right. Let's break this down for a moment...

If the former is true, then all four constituent members would have to be punching above their weight. Therefore, why is Wales a post-industrial wasteland with little to shout about? Why has NI gone from being a powerhouse that was light years ahead of its breakaway neighbour a century ago, one that built the Titanic and was the linen capital of the world, to being one of the poorest states in Western Europe and light years BEHIND it's neighbour? Indeed, if Scotland really is a basket case, then after 313 years of union, that is in fact a terrible indictment of the UK as an entity.

It's not unreasonable in any way to suggest that, if the UK is as successful as unionists claim, then Scotland at least COULD be successful on par with similar sized countries like, say Denmark, Austria or Finland. 

So, which is it? Is the UK the most successful Union in history that has seen Scotland grow to a potential rival of most first world democracies, or is it a failed state that has seen us impoverished and badly in debt? It can't be both.

It. Can't. Be. Both.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
38 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

One question that Unionists never address is the inherent contradiction in the dual position they argue from. On one hand, they proclaim that the UK is "the most successful political union in the history of time (TM)", whilst simultaneously positing that Scotland is, somehow uniquely among small developed countries, incapable of being a successful and self-sustaining nation in its own right. Let's break this down for a moment...

If the former is true, then all four constituent members would have to be punching above their weight. Therefore, why is Wales a post-industrial wasteland with little to shout about? Why has NI gone from being a powerhouse that was light years ahead of its breakaway neighbour a century ago, one that built the Titanic and was the linen capital of the world, to being one of the poorest states in Western Europe and light years BEHIND it's neighbour? Indeed, if Scotland really is a basket case, then after 313 years of union, that is in fact a terrible indictment of the UK as an entity.

It's not unreasonable in any way to suggest that, if the UK is as successful as unionists claim, then Scotland at least COULD be successful on par with similar sized countries like, say Denmark, Austria or Finland. 

So, which is it? Is the UK the most successful Union in history that has seen Scotland grow to a potential rival of most first world democracies, or is it a failed state that has seen us impoverished and badly in debt? It can't be both.

It. Can't. Be. Both.

I think your answer there is the other Countries out with England don't really have to try to get by as we have England supporting us, be like a woman who doesn't work married to a Millionaire and giving it up to go it alone as a cleaner.

• Downvote 6
39 minutes ago, daytripping said:

I think your answer there is the other Countries out with England don't really have to try to get by as we have England supporting us, be like a woman who doesn't work married to a Millionaire and giving it up to go it alone as a cleaner.

By England I assume you mean London and the Home Counties? 

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

The one thing she has done is COMMUNICATED well. The biggest mistake she made was an overreaction to the Dons players but perfectly understandable why they did it. She hasn't had a holiday since lockdown and nobody can accuse her of shying from her responsibilities. She's not my cup of tea but I fully support her for now because I am committed to independence and always have been. It appears that my fellow countrymen and women are also in the majority of those of us who want rid of England, or Westminster in particular.

While I admire the stance of independence supporters who have thus far taken the attitude of lending their support the her/SNP until independence, the cold, hard fact is that she has done little to bring that closer. 

Firstly she spent three and a half years, from June 2016 to Dec 2019, arguing (correctly) that Scotland was being taken out of the EU against its collective will, but simultaneously trying to "stop Brexit" and thus keep England and Wales in it against their will. That considerable amount of time should have been spent addressing failures of the last campaign, then challenging the legality of another referendum. Instead, she parrots the line that a Section 30 order is the only way... Hint: no-one ever got to leave the empire by asking nicely and BoJo the Clown knows who his core voters are. They will back him firmly if he just continually refuses to grant another referendum.

The SNP is going the way of New Labour IMHO, full of potty mouthed NEDs like Mhairi Black and careerists like Peat Wetfart.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
On 10/14/2020 at 2:22 PM, For Fecks Sake said:

Independence will happen in my opinion, and i hope it leads to a step change in political parties in Scotland thereafter.  But remember the public will still moan like fuck, complain about lack of services, levels of taxes etc while politicians will still continue to either lie, evade answering a question and make promises they cannot keep and be involved with scandals etc.

While it will indeed give us our "Freedom", it will probably also leave a fair amount of folk disillusioned as fundamentally not much will change for the average person on the street.

We were told there would be new politics in Scotland post 2014 and we got the usual out for themselves grifters and charlatans alongside some nonces and weirdos

There would be no significant change to the type of people at the sharp end, the names might change the people would be the same.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, Lencarl said:

The £ is kept at a level to support financial services yet we are going to benefit from having a change in our exchange rate policy for exports of goods, yet maintain the financial services, how is he squaring that circle?

5 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It. Can't. Be. Both.

Nope it's not both its neither. Ridiculous post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

The one thing she has done is COMMUNICATED well. The biggest mistake she made was an overreaction to the Dons players but perfectly understandable why they did it. She hasn't had a holiday since lockdown and nobody can accuse her of shying from her responsibilities. She's not my cup of tea but I fully support her for now because I am committed to independence and always have been. It appears that my fellow countrymen and women are also in the majority of those of us who want rid of England, or Westminster in particular.

She may communicate well (she gets plenty practice standing in her pulpit every day) but that doesn't detract from the high death count per head of population, putting Covid positive patients into care homes, going against scientific advice and locking Aberdeen down for longer than necessary and finally allowing the virus to take hold all over the country again because she shat out of applying restrictions to Glasgow.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
27 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Whatever mate. Hope your next one's a hedgehog and rips your colon te fuck. 

Sturgeons “not your cup of tea” yet you come away with angry nonsense like thon in response to criticism of her ?

Whatever mate. I hope you locate your meds and have a wonderful evening ??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Site Sponsor
1 hour ago, NEM said:

She may communicate well (she gets plenty practice standing in her pulpit every day) but that doesn't detract from the high death count per head of population, putting Covid positive patients into care homes, going against scientific advice and locking Aberdeen down for longer than necessary and finally allowing the virus to take hold all over the country again because she shat out of applying restrictions to Glasgow.

^^^This

+1

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
10 minutes ago, Dom Sullivan said:

^^^This

+1

She's now actually saying she brought lockdown in early for the central belt because she had to do something!! People were saying about 3 to 4 weeks before she did it that Glasgow needed locked down, was all over here and social media, why could the layman see it worked in Aberdeen and needed nipped in the bud, cases were getting out of control. I'd love to know the real reason why she didn't do it, its killed people, needs a real answer, not the it started in different places.

21 minutes ago, daytripping said:

She's now actually saying she brought lockdown in early for the central belt because she had to do something!! People were saying about 3 to 4 weeks before she did it that Glasgow needed locked down, was all over here and social media, why could the layman see it worked in Aberdeen and needed nipped in the bud, cases were getting out of control. I'd love to know the real reason why she didn't do it, its killed people, needs a real answer, not the it started in different places.

You must think she done the right thing not locking Glasgow down though, surely? 

"Shamdemic" and all that.