Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Good article:

https://wingsoverscotland.com/everything-falls-apart/

Seems like the taxpayer funded an illegal SNP witness coaching scheme also, the latest info in this scandal.

And look at Sturgeon resorting to disseminating sexist tropes via twitter bots, to try and save her greasy skin.

Over the years I have seen plenty of political incompetents and liars, but never - till now - a regime which has itself tried to imprison an innocent man.  Sturgeon's regime is all 3 of these things.

Voting for such a regime is immoral, as well as stupid.

But you have never read Wings and never intend to.

Were you lying then or are you lying now

everyone knows that we will never get indy with the likes of Sturgeon and Cosy Pete Wishart running the show and that is before i start on the Gender brigade.

Having said that i would vote for a turd if it meant independence was the result.

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

(as an aside, fundamental beliefs of any type are not really a choice - for example I could not just 'choose' to be an atheist).

Nobody is born with an innate belief in God,  you were indoctrinated and brainwashed.  You could easily choose to consider it all nonsense, rather than worship an imaginary sky wizard. I honestly believe religious faith is a form of mental illness,  your brain doesn't work properly,  you can't distinguish between fantasy and reality. 

• Upvote 3
19 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Nobody is born with an innate belief in God,  you were indoctrinated and brainwashed.  You could easily choose to consider it all nonsense, rather than worship an imaginary sky wizard. I honestly believe religious faith is a form of mental illness,  your brain doesn't work properly,  you can't distinguish between fantasy and reality. 

Concise and accurate assessment. 

3 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I see your point, but lets not distract from the main issue here, which is how could anyone vote for the current SNP regime in good conscience.

(as an aside, fundamental beliefs of any type are not really a choice - for example I could not just 'choose' to be an atheist).

While we're on opposing sides of the constitutional question, I do enjoy engaging with you on many issues. You are correct that there is a moral dilemma which needs to be addressed now, in light of recent developments. I've been slated many a time from other independence supporters, including on here, for going against the "SNP until independence" mantra. It is my staunch view that it is this very thinking which has created a generation of hangers-on and careerists within the SNP. People who have little priority for such a battle as independence, or indeed any difficult issues of the day, instead being content to collect easy and lucrative paychecks, safe in the knowledge many happy clappers will forgive them pretty much anything.

Now that the truth many of us have openly suspected for some time - that the Sturrell mafia are both lukewarm on independence and corrupt to their core - has come to light, the question the wider independence movement must ask itself, is just how far they're willing to go to achieve their goal. Would they be content to be led by a pair of Poundshop Ceaucescus, who conspired to throw an innocent man in jail for the rest of his life (thus damaging things for genuine sexual assault victims) and if so, are they any better than the corrupt system they wish to escape from?

If independence means transgender nutters rewrite biology and erase women's rights, see people imprisoned for "hate speech" and political opponents silenced of worse, then that's not something I wish to pursue, for it would be a pyrrhic victory at best and rank hypocrisy at worst. The grassroots movement must purge these nutters or it's off the table for a generation, just when momentum is there and they face (in typical Scottish form) snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

29 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Concise and accurate assessment. 

I’m nae so sure, I believe it to be total nonesense and in science but I have still yet to get my head round how the Universe just appeared from nowhere.

Where did the atoms and molecules etc Come from  in the first place for the Big Bang.Fuck knows too complicated for me.

1 minute ago, Fridge said:

I’m nae so sure, I believe it to be total nonesense and in science but I have still yet to get my head round how the Universe just appeared from nowhere.

Where did the atoms and molecules etc come from etc in the first place for the Big Bang.Fuck knows too complicated for me.

Bible min, it's all in Genesis. All pretty straightforward, ask thoan Clydeside boy

5 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Where did the atoms and molecules etc Come from  in the first place for the Big Bang.Fuck knows too complicated for me.

I've no idea how the universe began, but I don't have to know. 

Religion pretends to know the answer.

Here's the thing about religion... it pretends, or pretended, to know lots of things it hadn't the first fucking clue about. 

Thunder... that'll be god. 

Lightning... god again. 

Tidal systems... god. 

volcanoes... GOOOOOOOOOD!

Science comes along and says, BULLFUCKINSHIT! 

So Religion became a series of fallback positions as science uncovers how the universe works. 

If you fill in the unknown stuff with god then all you have is a god of the gaps (in knowledge) fallacy.

You might as well attribute those gaps to the work of underpants gnomes or gremlins. 

Gravity...underpants gnomes. 

4 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I see your point, but lets not distract from the main issue here, which is how could anyone vote for the current SNP regime in good conscience.

Are your parents Catholic?

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Or that the universe is constantly expanding...., into what?  Some stuff if you think about it too much just fries your brain. 

2 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Part of wisdom is learning what is knowable and what can't be "knowed". Certain things are a waste of time trying to get our heads around.

This is my problem with science and atheism. Some subscribe to the arrogance of man and believe that science can eventually come up with all the answers. Atheists are also highly arrogant, like they have certainty that there is no room to recognise spirituality, let alone exploring what it might be and how it might relate to us. It is their absolute position that puts them in the same boat as the religious. They are limited by being in a boat, albeit at opposite ends. The pious and the atheists fail to see the sea.

Man has never and will never be able to explain everything. 

Part in bold reminds me of this from Tolstoy:

“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him“

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Or that the universe is constantly expanding...., into what?  Some stuff if you think about it too much just fries your brain. 

Why does there have to be something for the Universe to expand into? 

10 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I think you would like the work of Professor Carol Dweck of Stanford University - one of the best seats of learning on the planet - who came up with the concept of fixed mindsets v. growth mindsets.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, rocket_scientist said:

When you eventually learn the power of measurement and reflection, you will discover introspection. If you are capable of learning, if you discover the essential quality that is humility, once you understand the wisdom coming out of Stanford University and from Professor Carol Dweck in particular.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:42 PM, rocket_scientist said:

Do you understand the difference between fixed mindsets and growth mindsets (Dweck)?

On 11/23/2020 at 8:05 PM, rocket_scientist said:

I didn't say that they were morons. You're not reading properly. Perhaps because you're too fucking stupid to understand what I was saying? If you read again, you will see the distinction between certainty and questioning. This is the whole ethos of the work behind Professor Carol Dweck's work and because I can safely assume you don't know her work nor have the mental capacity nor the curious mindset to want to know, I'll take no fucking lectures from a thick cunt like you who had decided unilaterally to use insults gratuitously EXACTLY as you've done twice before. She's at Stanford University by the way, the best seat of learning on the planet arguably

On 10/13/2020 at 9:52 AM, rocket_scientist said:

Optimists v. Pessimists is a distinction almost nobody has any problem with. It's like the whole world population can be categorised as either or, which is absurd to me. Of much greater value is the work of Professor Carol Dweck who makes the distinction between growth mindsets and fixed mindsets, the latter being the majority. 

[url=https://postimg.cc/hzL5nJDk]754-A40-BE-7-E59-4-B7-F-BB32-D8-AF2-CD75[/url]

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I know a guy who went mental overthinking it all, proper schizophrenia. He's ok with meds and appears in the pub on the odd occasion but is in a residential home, can't work, just exists thinking about how it all started and where it all comes from. 

4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You believe schizophrenia can be brought on by thinking too much?

Tired cliche. 

Fuck all compared to the whoppers told on the hat. 

The guy I know was really smart at school, went mental when he left. He even describes himself as mad as a hatter. Good guy, dons season ticket holder. He says it was thinking about the universe that drove him mad, who am I to say he's wrong. 

The tired cliche comes from my mother, was never really religious, church one or twice a year. Now since my dad passed she's never away from the place, is on various committees and volunteers for coffee afternoons and stuff, gives her comfort and something to do. 

6 hours ago, daytripping said:

Religion is a comfort to a lot of people, don't see the problem with it. 

So are Beanie Babies and Fidget Spinners... the problem arises when religion decides its morals and ethics need to be MY morals and ethics. 

If religion stayed in its own lane, worshipping whatever laughable super-being it chooses, murdering its own acolytes with the poisony juice boxes, and banging drums at airports, then fine. That's all smashing. 

Churches and mosques look quite nice, and the singing is fairly relaxing. 

No problem with any of that. 

Unfortunately religion routinely decides that the rest of us need to die for our lack of faith, whether that's by crashing planes into buildings, releasing nerve gas in the subway, or tooling up and committing genocide against the unworthy. 

Huge fucking problem with all that. 

9 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

What does it mean though?

Remembering to be disciplined. It's easy to accidentally fall into judgement (easy option) especially after the first few phases of trying to understand.

Maintaining chronic unease about where your view has come from is imperative. It is, however, a fucker as constant 180s trying to understand septic views can let shards of their damage into yourself.

There is a point where your considered view should be imposed.