Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

According to the Bbc and the Guardian there are 2 Tories and 1 ex Green who is now an indepedent

Ok were both wrong so no greens and two Tories 

If they vote along party lines that leaves ex green Wrightman casting vote and the prick will vote with the SNP probably

Shocker and that’s why aberdonians will always be known as the unionists from the north east by everyone in Scotland.it’s amazing as well ?? aw you hear are fuck Huns this fuck huns that, but will vote alongside there brethren hun brothers when it comes to politics??? hypocrisy much ??

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1

A devastating review in Scottish Legal news, by Professor Alastair Bonnington:

(actually a couple of weeks old, i only saw it yesterday)

Alistair Bonnington: Salmond inquiry reflects poorly on Scotland’s democratic traditions

"In Glasgow Sheriff Court where I used to practise as a boy lawyer, these witnesses would have been locked up for prevarication at best. Some would be facing perjury prosecutions. The fact that people in very senior positions are advancing at best amnesia and at worst idiocy as explanations for their failure to tell the whole truth makes one wonder if we have in Scotland a “team of total diddies” at the top."

"The First Minister’s assurance at the outset that her government would do all they could to assist the inquiry has proved to be an empty promise. The all-too-obvious truth is that her government has made Herculean efforts to frustrate it at every turn."

"....... they must take the view that the Scottish public are exceptionally dense........"

"I can’t help noticing that the present Scottish government seem to be very good at appointing “inquiries”, all of which reach the conclusion that the government has behaved splendidly throughout."

"It’s perfectly plain that our leaders are very frightened that the truth might emerge here. We are entitled to ask why."

https://www.scottishlegal.com/article/alistair-bonnington-salmond-inquiry-reflects-poorly-on-scotland-s-democratic-traditions

It's so bad now that Jim Sillars ex deputy leader of the SNP has said he will not vote for them in May.

He has said that the SNP are now like a Stalinist party who are trying to control everybody's life and restrict any criticism. I see Sandstone Press are publishing a book of Nicola Sturgeons speeches.This would be the same company who have been given £410,000 in public money from the Scot gov and is run by a leading SNP supporter.

All part of the SNP's attempt to influence and control Scottish public life including arts and culture. 

The SNPs policy of free uni education is starting to show signs of students staying here for both uni and a career after it. 

Beginning to stop the brain drain that has traditionally seen some of the brightest youngsters leave for England.

Probably why the likes of Dundee and Glasgow are showing great signs of becoming less of a shit hole. 

Terrific. 

1 minute ago, Redforever86 said:

The SNPs policy of free uni education is starting to show signs of students staying here for both uni and a career after it. 

Beginning to stop the brain drain that has traditionally seen some of the brightest youngsters leave for England.

Probably why the likes of Dundee and Glasgow are showing great signs of becoming less of a shit hole. 

Terrific. 

Cant say I'm noticing any difference in Glasgow. 

Scotland is a nice place to live. The quality of life is alright. What holds back Scotland is the Scottish people. Aberdonians being a prime example. Bunch of moaning faced bastards romanticising about times gone by and how things aren't what they used to be. Any progress and development is met with criticism and resistance.

We are defeatists. We turn up expecting to lose. We look outward to the world with envy and think the grass is greener elsewhere instead of appreciating what we have on our doorstep. We had our chance of going it alone and bottled it.

If the brain drain is slowing down, excellent. Maybe the Scottish attitude is finally starting to change.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
19 hours ago, Howard Marks said:

Scotland is a nice place to live. The quality of life is alright. What holds back Scotland is the Scottish people. Aberdonians being a prime example. Bunch of moaning faced bastards romanticising about times gone by and how things aren't what they used to be. Any progress and development is met with criticism and resistance.

We are defeatists. We turn up expecting to lose. We look outward to the world with envy and think the grass is greener elsewhere instead of appreciating what we have on our doorstep. We had our chance of going it alone and bottled it.

If the brain drain is slowing down, excellent. Maybe the Scottish attitude is finally starting to change.

What a pile of clichéd pish... You also missed out 'dour' ?

On 2/12/2021 at 10:20 AM, Redforever86 said:

The SNPs policy of free uni education  (tax cuts for the middle class) is starting to show signs of students staying here for both uni and a career after it. 

(Whilst making things much harder for those from poorer back grounds )

Terrific. (devastating)

FIFY

I do not think Scotland has suffered (or is suffering) a "brain drain".

Since the advent of the Scottish Parliament, inward migration has outnumbered leavers by many thousands annually.  Incoming numbers have been large under the SNP in particular as they essentially try to import new SNP voters (the affect on this on support for independence should not be underestimated).

You need to back to the 1980s, to see instances of any significant annual population drops, where leavers outnumber incomers.  The general trend of population decline began to change in the 90s, and the huge migration into Scotland since the Parliament has likely cancelled out population decline experienced since at least the 70s.

You can see figures here (I have not looked in great detail):  https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/migration/migration-statistics

In my own direct experience people arriving in Scotland tend to be educated to a higher level than those leaving*.

Ultimately the SNP tuition fees policy (which an independent Scotland could not afford incidentally) was principally intended to alienate the English (by paying for EU students, but not English students) and - most especially - to prevent young Scottish people from experiencing life elsewhere in the UK.

*every "incomer "I have known personally has been a degree educated professional.  Those leavers I have known have been a mix of the same - eg folk with degrees going to Australia - but also more manual/trades orientated people seeking work in Industry elsewhere in the UK.  Several of my own family moved to Berkshire to work for ICI, in previous decades.

The loss of opportunity for young Scots - by removing their access to the rUK job market - would be a major negative consequence of independence.  The notion of Scots working abroad in the EU was always a myth, as almost no-one has adequate language skills: hence why they go to Oz.

• Downvote 2
39 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I do not think Scotland has suffered (or is suffering) a "brain drain".

Since the advent of the Scottish Parliament, inward migration has outnumbered leavers by many thousands annually.  Incoming numbers have been large under the SNP in particular as they essentially try to import new SNP voters (the affect on this on support for independence should not be underestimated).

Except research has shown EU migrants and migrants from elsewhere in the UK voted heavily in favour of the union in 2014. 

Honestly, you haver some amount of utter shite. 

• Upvote 1

Daily Record will be along with a story H has been outed just before the Scottish elections for max publicity and to split SNP

Will probably vote SNP first vote with gritted teeth then ISP on the list.

This from Craig Murrays evidence is well shocking especially if you figure out who it might be

F750-E899-97-FC-46-B2-AC27-C1-BC5-C1-C20

46 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

The notion of Scots working abroad in the EU was always a myth, as almost no-one has adequate language skills: hence why they go to Oz.

That’s a fucking great point when there’s an oaf on here who barely has adequate English and works in Holland.

Also weird as I personally know a girl working and living in Denmark, a weegie working and living in Berlin, and a have known numerous others who don’t live in the EU but have worked there for short periods of time. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Except research has shown EU migrants and migrants from elsewhere in the UK voted heavily in favour of the union in 2014.

I did say they "try"- you cant deny Sturgeon always tries to butter up both the EU and EU migrants.

It was different in 2014, when a vote for the union was pitched as a vote for the EU.  Now its changed days.

1 minute ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I did say they "try"- you cant deny Sturgeon always tries to butter up both the EU and EU migrants.

It was different in 2014, when a vote for the union was pitched as a vote for the EU.  Now its changed days.

No. What you said was 

"Incoming numbers have been large under the SNP in particular as they essentially try to import new SNP voters (the affect on this on support for independence should not beunderestimated)." 

Going by the 2014 referendum, these people DO NOT support independence. So your wee bit in brackets is utter shite. 

3 hours ago, Redforever86 said:

That’s a fucking great point when there’s an oaf on here who barely has adequate English and works in Holland.

Also weird as I personally know a girl working and living in Denmark, a weegie working and living in Berlin, and a have known numerous others who don’t live in the EU but have worked there for short periods of time. 

Because you know two people working abroad doesnt change the fact that most British citizens are not suitably proficient in foreign languages to work abroad.

I can sometimes get by at a basic tourist language level, but no way could I do a similar job as I do here  - I have no technical vocabulary etc.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

No. What you said was 

"Incoming numbers have been large under the SNP in particular as they essentially try to import new SNP voters (the affect on this on support for independence should not beunderestimated)." 

Going by the 2014 referendum, these people DO NOT support independence. So your wee bit in brackets is utter shite. 

You ignore the bit where I pointed out we *cant* go by the 2014 referendum.

Interestingly, I knew a German couple in the UK (long time residents) who took the hump and left after the Brexit vote.

Both recently decided to apply for (and got) settled status in the UK, after a while evaluating how green the EU grass is.

Edit - I would bet they would both vote for indy, as a route back to the EU.

1 minute ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Because you know two people working abroad doesnt change the fact that most British citizens are not suitably proficient in foreign languages to work abroad.

I can sometimes get by at a basic tourist language level, but no way could I do a similar job as I do here  - I have no technical vocabulary etc.

Many people who come over here to live and work from the EU can't speak English to a high level. On our construction sites there are plenty of guys from Eastern Europe who have only very basic English. They work in teams and one of the squad speaks English and acts as a translator. 

Not everyone that works abroad speaks the native language of that country. 

Humza Yousef criticised for failing to state if the SNP regime acknowledges there are only 2 sexes and - if they dont - failing to state how many they believe in, and what these are.

We are ruled by idiots.  Worse, idiots who think they are clever.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19093782.justice-secretary-humza-yousaf-condemned-refusing-say-two-sexes/