Worth A Look?

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

Yep shouting about this for ages now, we clearly cannot compete with the Huns Celtic in the transfer market so our model should always have been to snap up the young players, boy at Inverness is looking good as is the striker young boy at queens of the south.as was the likes of Lewis Morgan and hickey,always far to slow at trying to pinch these players and by the time we do the huns or Celtic or English teams take them.Ali boy from st Johnstone is another and Campbell free signing would be a no brainer, but alas nothing. So what is our model?.go with youth through our under squads?, looking forward to bringing through players of McLennans talent!,not

Inverness have 2 or 3 outstanding prospects. Raith have Dylan Tait.

Players are out there.

Did we even enquire about Christie when he was at ICT?

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Players are out there.

Aye we did but was never going to happen because of his father who apparently hates us,didn’t like the fact that we had him on loan?.don’t know the fathers reason though?

14 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Players are out there.

Raith are flying this season and apparently their style of play has been excellent.

I can't remember us ever being linked with Christie. Which is annoying cause that was when they were our feeder club.

3 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Yep shouting about this for ages now, we clearly cannot compete with the Huns Celtic in the transfer market so our model should always have been to snap up the young players, boy at Inverness is looking good as is the striker young boy at queens of the south.as was the likes of Lewis Morgan and hickey,always far to slow at trying to pinch these players and by the time we do the huns or Celtic or English teams take them.Ali boy from st Johnstone is another and Campbell free signing would be a no brainer, but alas nothing. So what is our model?.go with youth through our under squads?, looking forward to bringing through players of McLennans talent!,not

Morgan? cost celtic 400k did he not? Not money we had. 

hickey? Just sold for over a million. How were we buying him? Or do you mean grab him when he was a youth player at celtic? 

campbell won't be free.

8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Guys like Scott Allan should be used as an example to younger players not to chase cash too early. His career has never got going. Could have been a very good player for a number of years

In view of his not so recent medical problems ( unstable insulin dependent diabetes), I'm sure he very glad he chose to "chase cash" when he did. Although he was pretty much the worst paid player in Celtic's first team squad. It's highly unlikely he's going to be playing a whole lot longer...he will be lucky if he's still playing aged 32.

5 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We never go for these players. Even when they stand out like a sore thumb. Speaking of thumbs, everyone had heard of Griffiths while he was at Livingston doing well. Everyone had heard of Snodgrass. Even further back Novo, Agathe were known (ok I'm smashing the archives now). Then Nisbett recently.

Who was the last player we signed for the first team from the lower league? Paul Sheerin? Clearly the fact all my examples are in their 30s or 40s now shows theres not many gems to be had... but sometimes there are guys who stand out and we never seem to go into that market. 

Kenny McLean? Current Scotland regular now

Maybe even Lewis Ferguson also could be included.

maybe not lower league but lower level sides & other clubs interested 

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

In view of his not so recent medical problems ( unstable insulin dependent diabetes), I'm sure he very glad he chose to "chase cash" when he did. Although he was pretty much the worst paid player in Celtic's first team squad. It's highly unlikely he's going to be playing a whole lot longer...he will be lucky if he's still playing aged 32.

Thats true. 

Although I reckon if he played regularly when he was younger he would have got a big money move and been in the first team wherever he went. Earning far more than he has. But you never know.

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Kenny McLean? Current Scotland regular now

Maybe even Lewis Ferguson also could be included.

Both signed from Premiership teams.

But you are right, this is the type of player we need to go for. Problem at the moment is these players don't appear to exist. I can't remember the Premiership being so weak. When we were doing well in 2014 everyone goes on about Rangers, Hibs and Hearts not being there - but the likes of Dundee United, St Mirren, Motherwell and Inverness had some cracking players

The players are there.  Young players coming through at a number of clubs in our league. 

We just need to take a chance on them.  Ideally before they develop to the point that teams with more money are interested in them. 

The bottom half teams tend to take the chance on youngsters in the lower divisions before we do. 

We need to decide whether it's better to spend 200k on a youngster or give the likes of Curtis Main a couple of grand a week for two years.  The answer needs to be the former. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The players are there.  Young players coming through at a number of clubs in our league. 

We just need to take a chance on them.  Ideally before they develop to the point that teams with more money are interested in them. 

The bottom half teams tend to take the chance on youngsters in the lower divisions before we do. 

We need to decide whether it's better to spend 200k on a youngster or give the likes of Curtis Main a couple of grand a week for two years.  The answer needs to be the former. 

Curtis Main was probably one of our most ridiculous signings ( without paying a fee at least) was like signing a Darren Mackie after him being proven shite.

Tansey would have been even more ridiculous had Caley not refused the £200k ?

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Curtis Main was probably one of our most ridiculous signings ( without paying a fee at least) was like signing a Darren Mackie after him being proven shite.

Aye he didn't have a great summer of transfers that year (apart from Lewis Ferguson) and never really recovered from it. 

Reminiscent of the famous Jimmy Calderwood summer transfer photo. He never recovered from that group of summer signings either. 

9 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Mind when we genuinely all thought Tansey was better than Ryan Jack.

One day I will hold up my hand and say we were wrong. But not today.

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Morgan? cost celtic 400k did he not? Not money we had. 

hickey? Just sold for over a million. How were we buying him? Or do you mean grab him when he was a youth player at celtic? 

campbell won't be free.

He did could we have not scouted him prior to celtics interest?.Doig got released by hearts missed him?.if we are serious surely we cannot be bawking  at 400,000 or what’s the point?.thought we were supposed to be going for a top100 club?can you do that on free transfers?,plus the money was their aye as we bought Hernandez for nearly a million quid,how has that worked out for us

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

He did could we have not scouted him prior to celtics interest?.Doig got released by hearts missed him?.if we are serious surely we cannot be bawking  at 400,000 or what’s the point?.thought we were supposed to be going for a top100 club?can you do that on free transfers?,plus the money was their aye as we bought Hernandez for nearly a million quid,how has that worked out for us

how is Lewis Morgan doing these days? 

how do you know that we didn't make moves for these young players, and they knocked us back? Hickey went to Bologna. Not like he went Blackpool or something. He saw Bologna as a better option than staying in Scotland. I don't blame him tbh.

doig was released by hearts. Maybe he was bang average and didn't stand out as a youth? Maybe we approached him and he wanted to stay in the Edinburgh area. Or maybe hibs got lucky when taking a risk. 

maybe McInnes' record of giving youth a chance has put youngsters off signing for us. 

we aren't entitled to sign every young player out there. 

2 hours ago, DD1903 said:

how is Lewis Morgan doing these days? 

how do you know that we didn't make moves for these young players, and they knocked us back? Hickey went to Bologna. Not like he went Blackpool or something. He saw Bologna as a better option than staying in Scotland. I don't blame him tbh.

doig was released by hearts. Maybe he was bang average and didn't stand out as a youth? Maybe we approached him and he wanted to stay in the Edinburgh area. Or maybe hibs got lucky when taking a risk. 

maybe McInnes' record of giving youth a chance has put youngsters off signing for us. 

we aren't entitled to sign every young player out there. 

Lewis Morgan got player of the year for his team and was in the team of the year

FD606370-BCB2-4-A2-F-B831-96-F1-DE14804-

Just now, DD1903 said:

In the mls? Whoop. de. doo.

Aye but that’s how he’s getting on

gutted you thought he would be pish??

And aye mls full of international South American players worth millions, like our parent club barco-20 million josep Martinez 30million, they just sold pity Martinez for 20 million??

don’t be mad cause your point sucked bud

24 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Aye but that’s how he’s getting on

gutted you thought he would be pish??

And aye mls full of international South American players worth millions, like our parent club barco-20 million josep Martinez 30million, they just sold pity Martinez for 20 million??

don’t be mad cause your point sucked bud

I still think he is pish. I think it speaks volumes that celtic let him go to the mls. 

the mls. Shite league. Lolz

The epl has players that cost millions, and they're bang average. the rangers and celtic do as well. And guess what, some of them are pish ! so players the cost millions means hee haw

pity Martinez? Off to the Saudi league. Lolz

nothing to say re the other points I made? ?

23 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The MLS is a way higher standard of football than what we can produce these days. Sadly

Not sure there would be a massive difference between us and majority of MLS teams if you removed the designated players. I’d still fancy giving Atlanta a very good game even with designated players. Players like Hyndman and Mulraney start for them and I don’t think they would start for us. Not so sure about the other 9 players. 

1 minute ago, slippers said:

Not sure there would be a massive difference between us and majority of MLS teams if you removed the designated players. I’d still fancy giving Atlanta a very good game even with designated players. Players like Hyndman and Mulraney start for them and I don’t think they would start for us. Not so sure about the other 9 players. 

Aye, big league so you are probably right. There will be some players far better than what we have and some far worse. But the days of us turning our nose up at a player doing well in the MLS are certainly over.

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

The MLS is a way higher standard of football than what we can produce these days. Sadly

Been to a few MLS games and the standard is no better than ours, you can spot the designated players a mile off as they are much better than the rest mostly South Americans and a few Europeans

• Upvote 1