Sam Cosgrove

26 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Light years again... where is this coming from?

On one thread you see Dons fans saying the English championship is crap. On another we are hailing a footballing god who has scored 5 goals and had 1 assist in 21 odd games. 2 goals in 7 caps for Scotland and was useless when we needed him against the UEFA powerhouse Israel.

Ten Caat pretty much covered what my response would have been 

3 minutes ago, We Don't Need Eusabio said:

"He can finish chances when set up. But other than that his contribution to the team effort is a big old nothing...."

Same as McDougall, Shearer, Rooney, and none of  them would have scored many this season either.

If Sam had a bit more up top, he would have scored more and if his head hadn't been turned, if we didn't have the Ukranian upfront bouncing into everything other than the ball, we would have scored more goals.
Granted the service has been crap, but they have had chances to score and fucked it up.

22 minutes ago, We Don't Need Eusabio said:

"He can finish chances when set up. But other than that his contribution to the team effort is a big old nothing...."

Same as McDougall, Shearer, Rooney, and none of  them would have scored many this season either.

Your point being?

edit......it's spelt "Eusebio" btw

44 minutes ago, We Don't Need Eusabio said:

You cannot compare Cosgrove to any of them and I can Guarantee you all of Mcdougall, Shearer & Rooney would have scored on Saturday in their prime.

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McDougall possibly the best finisher I've seen in a Dons shirt. 

Shearer and McDougall on a different planet to Cosgrove. 

All 3 far superior finishers and natural goalscorers. 

Shows you how starved we've been of decent strikers in recent times when folk are thinking Cosgrove is the bees knees. 

Surely Harper as best finisher?

mcdougall unbelievable and shearer was just a machine powerhouse striker

cannot believe someone compared cosgrove with these fantastic players

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think there's one or two on here a bitty older than me that would remember Harper at his peak.  @rocket_scientist possibly.  @Ten Caat maybe. 

Yep. Harper wasn't called King Joey for nothing.

Albeit over a shorter period McDougall was some finisher.

McGhee, although not a natural goal scorer, is surely up there as one of the top centre forwards we've ever had.

As for Matt Armstrong will have to rely on @dad for a first hand opinion ?

I'd actually have McDougall as the best finisher ahead of Harper but because McDougall's career was tragically cut so short I wouldn't argue against anyone who said Harper, who did it consistently for his whole career,

I don't remember Joey in his first stint with us...I can remember him at Hibs and then when he rejoined us is 76. He certainly had a scoring ratio of better than a goal every second game with us in both his spells. I can't recall his rate at Hibs but I think it was nearer 1 in 3 than 1 in 2. 

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

Harper the best finisher for sure. Eric Black was a personal favourite mostly for his springed heels but Archibald was a class act. McGhee was actually a superb finisher too but a cunt of a man. We decided this @ 38 years ago at the Ferryhill, long before his abortive management stint. MacDougall hit some purple patches where he was awesome but overall Joey is the king. Gave five of us a lift between pubs late one night about 10/11 months ago. Good cunt too. 

Aye I loved Eric Black too.  How we could do with a young striker coming through like Black, Hewitt, Jess or Booth just now. Would give the whole place a lift. 

I thought Drew Jarvie was well underrated.  Did a lot of Joey's running towards the end of their partnership and still scored a good number of goals. 

A young Stevie Archibald was something else for the short time he was here.  Nicholas and Gilhaus were excellent together as well. 

We've had loads of good strikers over the years.  I'd rate Willie Falconer as a far better player than Cosgrove and he was a bit part player at Aberdeen 

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye I loved Eric Black too.  How we could do with a young striker coming through like Black, Hewitt, Jess or Booth just now. Would give the whole place a lift. 

I thought Drew Jarvie was well underrated.  Did a lot of Joey's running towards the end of their partnership and still scored a good number of goals. 

A young Stevie Archibald was something else for the short time he was here.  Nicholas and Gilhaus were excellent together as well. 

We've had loads of good strikers over the years.  I'd rate Willie Falconer as a far better player than Cosgrove and he was a bit part player at Aberdeen 

We were spoilt rotten

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Jarvie wasn't underrated. We all knew how good he was. That goal v. Bastards at Hampden when we gave them 5 was awesome.

Gilhaus was fantastic but just outside the top half dozen for me. Charlie Nicholas was a class act even for us but probably Celtic got his best years. Actually went to Highbury just to see Nicholas in the early 80's (we were passing through London anyway; couldn't believe we got pints in glasses in the North Bank!)

Willie Falconer was a very good footballer, far better than anything we have had in the McInnes years. Great goal at Hampden in the 3 in a row LC finals. 

Falconer was as hard as nails. 

Also a footballer who could properly 'cover a number of positions' and do a good job at the back and in midfield as well as up front. 

Joe Harper was probably the main reason I started going to Pittodrie, 50 years ago this month. Just a fantastic finisher.

ALWAYS had a chance of winning with him in the side. 

I can remember that Arbroath game like it was yesterday, when it was announced at half time he was leaving for Everton. Gutted, whole stadium stunned into silence.

Similarly, chuffed as fuck when it was announced he was returning 3 years later. Got a good couple of season out of him before time caught up.

I recall a game v The Tim’s, March 77. Alfie Conn’s debut, and Dalglish still there. Joey scored in 1st few mins then thereafter, 88 mins of solid Tim pressure withstood, till Joey scored again in the last minute. ??

Good scrap round the back of the main stand later on

Happy days

19 minutes ago, winchester83 said:

Harper in the mid eighties team aged circa 24 would have no competition . He was also top scorer with Everton in his first season + European Bronze Boot.

Didnt realise he was top scorer there too,fair play.Caught the later, "Harpers a barrel" version of his career.Him and my pal wrote back and fore for years during and after career

17 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Joe Harper was probably the main reason I started going to Pittodrie, 50 years ago this month. Just a fantastic finisher.

ALWAYS had a chance of winning with him in the side. 

I can remember that Arbroath game like it was yesterday, when it was announced at half time he was leaving for Everton. Gutted, whole stadium stunned into silence.

Similarly, chuffed as fuck when it was announced he was returning 3 years later. Got a good couple of season out of him before time caught up.

I recall a game v The Tim’s, March 77. Alfie Conn’s debut, and Dalglish still there. Joey scored in 1st few mins then thereafter, 88 mins of solid Tim pressure withstood, till Joey scored again in the last minute. ??

Good scrap round the back of the main stand later on

Happy days

That Arbroath game was a real downer. It was freezing that day and to listen to the news Joey was off to Everton didn’t warm me up. Joey was a superb poacher and with Jarvis beside him we always had goals in us. Could do with those two nowadays.

That’s it caught the back end of black,McGee etc, more remember the gilhaus, Charlie days and the last of the great teams of Jess booth shearer. Shocking what’s happened to the youth systems today not just our club but there were many stars getting produced then!, is it a training/coaching issue?,societal issue?, money?

wish we could just create one of the names mentioned above, get a bit of excitement back in to the squad and supporters 

10 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

All you cunts talking about the greats and the best I’ve seen is Rooney, Stavrum, Dodds and an aging Duncan shearer ?

Best I've seen is Adam Rooney.