Sam Cosgrove

5 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Perhaps we are talking about different things?

Harper through Shearer, Rooney and Cosgrove. Not the hingers on who were so shite they never made it or lasted.

Like Clangers getting so long, it's embarrassing that Cosgrove has been the main focal point for goals, him taking all the pens giving a false boost to his conversion rates and his ability, which is fucking useless. 

This is a lot of goal post shuffling. We have gone from any striker in the last 60 years to just 4 strikers.

Ok I am willing to admit Harper, Shearer and Rooney were better than Cosgrove.

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

No shuffling. I edited my original post PRECISELY for the reason anticipated.

There are many first choice strikers from Harper through to our last two, Rooney and Cosgrove. That's why I said "through". Did I have to spell that out too?

Weird how EVERYONE interpreted it that way. EVERYONE must be wrong all the time and you always right ?

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

What he's best at is putting the ball in the net. If you have essentially a penalty box striker and then ask him to play with his back to goal, 40 yards out, then it's pretty obvious to anyone (apart from folk on here and McInnes) that he'll likely be poor. 

I don't think he's brilliant but he's far from shite and if it weren't for Covid, we'd be selling for much more than £2 million. 

I totally agree, and have said as much myself. He's a penalty box striker. But if you go with that line of thinking, he's lost the instinct. The last few games I've watched him he fails to make any movement in the box, and actually appears to hide behind defenders. 

You should remember pre Covid, Curtis Main was getting a game, and scoring, ahead of him. 

£2,000,000 is great money for him on current form. 

1 hour ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Think we are now at a stage where rose tinted specs are being worn by most..... we played good football for about 4 games with Marley Watkins. We are just so shite now that we can't help but look back at the start of the season and compare it to 2009 Barca

I wouldn't fully agree with that to be honest, from the period between when we got beat on the first day of the season to the 3-3 draw against Celtic we were enjoyable to watch. I don't even think it was purely down to Marley Watkins, rather the type of striker he is compared to the hoofball thats deployed when Main or Cosgrove are in that role. I've not bothered watching the last few games as its woeful. Knowing Mcinnes though he'll go for a like for like and it'll be the same old, or they'll be no money and we'll be stuck with Main as our numero uno striker.

Just now, Millertime said:

Well, yeah

If he missed them then it couldn't be said he scored 47 goals

That’s not really the point. The point is a penalty taker will get better stats and it makes goal records a bit different.

Like I said, he still has to score them so fair play but his record would be horrendous without being penalty taker. 

5 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Main was only getting a game ahead of him to give him a boot up the arse

It hasn't worked, purely because the glaikit gonk has chucked it

Main was scoring at the time, and playing quite well. 

Cosgrove is just back to being crap. Good luck to him, though. I hope he proves us all wrong at a different club. Just can't see him doing the business again here, mainly because of the coaching staffs inability to help the players get the ball in the back of the cunting net. Partially as well, I think his attitude is poor and he's been wanting away for a while. 

He scored a couple of crackers, one against Motherwell iirc, a good run and chip. 

but even at his peak he was dreadful to watch over 90 mins. I can't think of another player like that. 

\ as in being in the running for top scorer in the league and being dire to watch 

update from Daily Record:-

Derek McInnes has confirmed Aberdeen and Birmingham City are in discussions about Sam Cosgrove moving to the English Championship club.Reports claim the Blues have bid £2million for the 24-year-old striker who has scored 47 goals in 103 games for the Dons.

"Discussions are ongoing. There could be an opportunity for Sam to move, whether that is done today or over the weekend, discussions are on-going.I am always reluctant to say too much until everything is concluded.

It is still a good bit away from being concluded but there is discussions between both clubs.

It is not my gut-feeling, it is what the board’s gut feeling is.

If the money is right it will happen.

The indications are there could be a deal to be done but like I said, discussions moved on quite quickly last night and we will see where we pick up on that today."

6 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

That’s not really the point. The point is a penalty taker will get better stats and it makes goal records a bit different.

Like I said, he still has to score them so fair play but his record would be horrendous without being penalty taker. 

Adam Rooneys would be significantly worse, so would Alan Shearers, Leo Messi wouldn't have as good a record either, nor would Ronaldo. 

They are part of the game. To consistently step up and bag pens is difficult, and he takes them with great quality, generally. 

A goals a goal, and his record is good. 

Unfortunately, his time here is is done. No point in acting like his record isn't as good as it is because of some of the goals are pens. 

3 minutes ago, Poodler said:

He scored a couple of crackers, one against Motherwell iirc, a good run and chip. 

but even at his peak he was dreadful to watch over 90 mins. I can't think of another player like that. 

\ as in being in the running for top scorer in the league and being dire to watch 

Adam Rooney

1 minute ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

Time to cash-in, Sam you leave with my best wishes. Cheers for the goals.

We need a refresh up front, so the timing is right and money we shouldn’t refuse - be a great piece of business for us.

This.

Someone was querying the Watkins 'red goggles' memories.  What was important was that a mobile striker seemed to offer us something so different to what we were used to, something that was seemingly quite effective and undoubtedly improved the viewing experience.  Sam isnt mobile.  Not his fault.  See ya, and thanks.

On the penalties - agree it a skill he is very good at, especially under pressure.  But why were so many under pressure?  Because we were otherwise shifesting our way to 0-0's and 0-1s.  You might as well say he was really good at digging us out of a shit performance that he was integral to.    

7 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Adam Rooneys would be significantly worse, so would Alan Shearers, Leo Messi wouldn't have as good a record either, nor would Ronaldo. 

They are part of the game. To consistently step up and bag pens is difficult, and he takes them with great quality, generally. 

A goals a goal, and his record is good. 

Unfortunately, his time here is is done. No point in acting like his record isn't as good as it is because of some of the goals are pens. 

Gives a player the opportunity to score when they haven’t really earned it so of course it changes things a bit. 

It’s fairly helped Lewis Ferguson’s stats this season too.

I’m not really slagging him I’m just saying it’s worth taking into consideration.

20 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Would it?

I genuinely don't know- many penalties has he scored out of the 47, about 16?

Cosgrove is on a goal every 2.2 games, inc pens which is better than Rooney 

Rooney scored every 2.3 games for us (but how many of them were penalties) and he is widely heralded as our best striker since Lee Miller 

Don’t discuss Rooney, don’t want to get into that. 

7 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

100%

if he doesnt take the pens he's fucked quicker

I reckon he’ll be loaned to a League One club in 2021/22.

Sold to a League Two club in January 2023. 

I can’t imagine any add ons we negotiate will materialise put it that way. 

To sign a lad from Carlisle for £20k & make 100 times that in 3 years is great business from the club. 

BUT...we can’t be looking at the last part of the season with no replacement, surely?!