Scott Wright

8 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Greg Stewart might actually fit our wing back system better than how he was used last time he was here. 

Yes I remember thinking There’s a player that’s really really willing to do the hard miles and track back repeatedly.

you’re correct in that he would suit should we choose to cross the halfway line and actually attack teams, but defensive qualities....nah.

his only effective role was that floating 10 once MacLean decided to drop deeper.

An Aberdeen supporter of my generation would never have joined der Hun (except if your name is Davie Robertson)

Times have changed though and the money even for bang average players has gone through the roof in the past 20 years.

Wright is probably looking at things pragmatically. It's a short career anyway and he has had his knee rebuilt aged 22 which kept him out for a year. He will know what his surgeon has advised as regards his future career, the chances of recurrence, the chances of developing osteoarthrosis etc. Many players go on until they're 37 or even older nowadays but Wright will be doing well to still be playing by the time he's 33.

Like it or not, no matter how they are funding themselves.....sevco can blow us out the water wages wise. They can bung him money that would make him our top earner at the drop of a hat. £7k/week is nothing to them (until the whole house of cards falls down 20 years down the line a la oldco)...if Wright can get them to that (and Greg Stewart has so there's no reason why Wright can't)......a three or 4 year contract including their win bonuses on top makes him a millionaire. For sure he will be a bit part player, but with a knee held together with meccano, that's probably no bad thing. He will pick up a trophy or or 3 along the way as a bonus.

I'll hate it if/when he signs on but sadly I'll understand completely why. Won't stop me hoping someone breaks his leg each time he faces us though.

50 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Yes I remember thinking There’s a player that’s really really willing to do the hard miles and track back repeatedly.

you’re correct in that he would suit should we choose to cross the halfway line and actually attack teams, but defensive qualities....nah.

his only effective role was that floating 10 once MacLean decided to drop deeper.

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

I’m not saying I want him back, but playing as 1 of the 2 behind the striker would suit him better that punting him out on the wing like we did last time. 

I didn’t mean play him as one of the wing backs. That would be nuts.

4 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Dereks determination to have two defensive midfielders in front of whatever variation of defence is fashionable this month (regardless of player suitability), plus the equal determination to play a front row forward up front means we don’t have space for a luxury floating player (see McGinn’s career for details).

No, not one of them would ever be a front row forward. Totally the wrong physiques

Cosgrove would be lock.

Main and Edmondson (now back in Leeds so might consider a switch to Rugby League) would either be number 8's or blind side flankers

Just now, DelMonte said:

I can’t believe some cunts are crying about SCOTT WRIGHT going to Rangers. He’s played about 4 good games in his career.

That’s surely not the point 

he has played 4 good games for us but was injured and could have been let go, instead he flings it back in our faces and correct he isn’t exactly a world beater.but to move to them!,we aren’t enamoured with quality one touch passing fast forward thinking players as it is 

3 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I can’t believe some cunts are crying about SCOTT WRIGHT going to Rangers. He’s played about 4 good games in his career.

Don’t think it weakens us (at least not the way Derek plays us) and don’t think it particularly strengthens them.  On that basis not crying, no.

if anything it gives us an insight into how their Colts would work!

Guest milne_afc
8 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

The sanity of people getting worked up over it is questionable.

Scott Wright FFS

20 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

That’s surely not the point 

he has played 4 good games for us but was injured and could have been let go, instead he flings it back in our faces and correct he isn’t exactly a world beater.but to move to them!,we aren’t enamoured with quality one touch passing fast forward thinking players as it is 

Who cares? He’s fucking shite and has been shite for years. No loss.

7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

For me, it's Wright's heart that I always questioned.  Physically, I think he's more than capable of competing.  However, very often over the years, he's just not looked like he fancies the physical side of things, or the confrontation.  I watched several games where a few early reducers have seen him retreating into his shell.  It's old fashioned and crude - but I've seen a number of teams having success nullifying Wright with this approach.

Another cliche... while Wright has loads of ability, but I wouldn't want him next to me in the trenches! 

Pretty much my stance on him too.

39 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Who cares? He’s fucking shite and has been shite for years. No loss.

Have you watched our games this season? We looked pretty rosy up til October when Wright and Watkins got injured. 

We've been utterly chronic to watch since his injury. He's one of the few players we have worth watching, which is another reason why it's frustrating that we've missed out on GMS. 

14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's more the prospect of losing the type of player that Wright is rather than Wright himself I think that's the issue 

Precisely 

Same folk who thought GMS' wouldn't have been a big miss, are the same folk saying the same about Wright. 

The same folk also moan about how shit we are to watch. 

Who, in our current ranks, could do what Scott Wright does?

29 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Same folk who thought GMS' wouldn't have been a big miss, are the same folk saying the same about Wright. 

The same folk also moan about how shit we are to watch. 

Who, in our current ranks, could do what Scott Wright does?

Very few I agree.

But that's more to do with McInnes' use of the budget.........do we really need Ojo, McCrorie and McGeouch all to do essentially the same job in defensive midfield? And throw in Ferguson who isn't a great deal different. I do get we had really no choice in bringing in McCrorie as if we hadn't he was going to be a Hibs player.....McGeouch was unnecessary though. And we have next to no chance of shifting Ojo out before his contract expires in 17 months. 

Wright is skilful, but he is prone to "hiding" when the going gets tough. He's also pretty fragile, collecting various injuries on a frequent basis. 

With a decent scouting system in place, he should be fairly easily replaceable. But I'm not sure ours is fit for purpose