Scott Wright

16 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

In the name of fuck.

These last few pages. :hysterical:

Only at the Hat can a thread descend from Transfer speculation about one of our midfielders down though the minefield that is state politics into the rights and wrongs of slave traders with a slight detour for a 'chin-off' between posters.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, thedandydon said:

Only at the Hat can a thread descend from Transfer speculation about one of our midfielders down though the minefield that is state politics into the rights and wrongs of slave traders with a slight detour for a 'chin-off' between posters.

?

Such far out tomfoolery means you just can't put it down.*

The thread titles here portray merely a tenuous hint to the content therein. ?

*Newspaper analogy.

10 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Do you personally view that statue as offensive and if so why?

It isn't about what I think. It's about what black people say. Many black people found it offensive, so, we should listen. 

16 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Or took down a symbol of philanthropy depending on how you view the money he invested within the community. 

He didn’t get a statue for selling black folk. 

No he didn't get a statue for that reason, but he was still a man who sold people as cargo, specifically black people. You can't remove that from him, it is what he was. 

6 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

No he didn't get a statue for that reason, but he was still a man who sold people as cargo, specifically black people. You can't remove that from him, it is what he was. 

Yes I know. Doesn’t make him a villain. It was hundreds of years ago for fuck sake and something very common. Not saying it was right but modern day protests on this are completely irrelevant. The Taj Mahal was built by slaves as were the pyramids (possibly aliens for that)

Will we rip those down?

18 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Yes I know. Doesn’t make him a villain. It was hundreds of years ago for fuck sake and something very common. Not saying it was right but modern day protests on this are completely irrelevant. The Taj Mahal was built by slaves as were the pyramids (possibly aliens for that)

Will we rip those down?

It doesn't make him a villain?

Pyramids weren't built by slaves, that's a common myth. They don't know for sure but they theorise it was paid workers.  

18 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

What do you think about the statue?

It's outdated and serves no purpose aside from reminding people that a slave trade owner donated to the local community 

27 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Will we rip those down?

Nobody was protesting Colston. They were protesting the fact he had a statue. A commemorative statue, and the fact he was a slave owner. 

The modern day protests would be irrelevant, if immediately after slaves were emancipated, society was entirely equal with regards to the colour of skin. Unfortunately, that never happened, and still hasn't happened. As I mentioned before, taxpayers in the country were still paying reparations to slave owning families, up until 2015. 

Easy to say "it was so long ago" but in the context of history it wasn't, and it still has negative permeations to this day. 

10 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Not at the time it doesn’t. 

No, but we're not at the time? 

Statues are celebratory in nature, it's not unreasonable to suggest people might be annoyed that a commemorative statue still stands of a slave trade owner. 

16 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

No, but we're not at the time? 

Statues are celebratory in nature, it's not unreasonable to suggest people might be annoyed that a commemorative statue still stands of a slave trade owner. 

So why get upset about it?

It’s not commemorating his slave trading. It’s for his philanthropy. 

25 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

So why get upset about it?

It’s not commemorating his slave trading. It’s for his philanthropy. 

In the same way someone would be upset if they decided to release a gallery of hitlers art. 

The bad thing the person did was so bad anything good they did after doesn't redeem this fact. 

18 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

In the same way someone would be upset if they decided to release a gallery of hitlers art. 

The bad thing the person did was so bad anything good they did after doesn't redeem this fact. 

LOL

Hitler. Fuck sake. ?‍♂️

Comparing a Slave Trading philanthropist with Hitler. Classic.  

Bye now. 

6 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

LOL

Hitler. Fuck sake. ?‍♂️

Comparing a Slave Trading philanthropist with Hitler. Classic.  

Bye now. 

Not comparing him to Hitler. You know fine well what my point was. 

My point was about evil and good. I used Hitler as an extreme example. 

It's not hard to see what I'm getting at. 

2 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Not comparing him to Hitler. You know fine well what my point was. 

My point was about evil and good. I used Hitler as an extreme example. 

It's not hard to see what I'm getting at. 

You'll be wanting the statue of Nelson Mandela in London brought down then?

Wright going to SevCo would be an absolute stupid decision.

‘He’d get far less game time than he does here. He’d be the next Greg Stewart / Jake Hastie / Jordan Jones /  etc etc etc .

If he goes there, it’s purely about money, not football.

‘ If he’s to leave us, there are thousands of better clubs to go to and still be better compensated