The Mckenna Dilemma

13 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Should have told them to phone back tomorrow. No reason whatsoever for this to happen just before kick off.  Apparently he was in the squad then pulled out.

He definitely was in the squad, McInnes confirmed as much in an interview prior to kick off.

There was no reason for him not to play.

Not really a stretch to say we could have had the opposite result if he did play, given the monumental impact of Taylor's introduction to the defence.

The decision to not play him, having had tactics and game plan already in place with him as part of that is a horrendous piece of mis-management of the situation.

One that has cost us dearly.

Not saying where that mis-management was instigated, it may have been above McInnes. Probably was?

42 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

He definitely was in the squad, McInnes confirmed as much in an interview prior to kick off.

There was no reason for him not to play.

Not really a stretch to say we could have had the opposite result if he did play, given the monumental impact of Taylor's introduction to the defence.

The decision to not play him, having had tactics and game plan already in place with him as part of that is a horrendous piece of mis-management of the situation.

One that has cost us dearly.

Not saying where that mis-management was instigated, it may have been above McInnes. Probably was?

Probably feart he picked up a bad injury scuppering the deal with Forest 

7 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Not a chance Mckenna is good enough for that league. 

Beyond the top 7 or 8 teams, the EPL is vastly over-hyped. Ben fucking Mee is a regular for Burnley (captain too I believe)….they spent £10millon on him. McKenna is no world beater but he's better than him. Joe Gomez gets a regular game for Liverpool ffs. The English champions. He's fucking murder. 

If there's any truth in this Villa rumour, I think he would go down there and be a starter within 2 months

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

Beyond the top 7 or 8 teams, the EPL is vastly over-hyped. Ben fucking Mee is a regular for Burnley (captain too I believe)….they spent £10millon on him. McKenna is no world beater but he's better than him. Joe Gomez gets a regular game for Liverpool ffs. The English champions. He's fucking murder. 

If there's any truth in this Villa rumour, I think he would go down there and be a starter within 2 months

Have Villa joined the race as well TC? 

7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

I think we might not appreciate how good he's been for us until he's left!  Yesterday was a defensive horror show!

I think he's clearly a very good defender for our level. Most Aberdeen fans have just been bitter towards him since it was clear he wanted to head off, similar to how everyone convinced themselves Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean were shite as soon as they wanted to go. 

I have just never thought of him as a £5-10 million player. He looks terrible for Scotland... but so does everyone

• Upvote 2

I’m not bitter, beyond the grumbling sweetie paper rustling stage, about the wanting away thing.  But to “move” within hours Of (was it) Rijeka last year and the same shit now is just a tad frustrating.

Agree with others that if it’s decent money at all we were right not to play him but you can’t argue the impact was fairly telling, with our biggest game since Sociedad still to come.

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Failed in England - check

Knee injury history - check

That should be enough to seal the deal. The only other tick boxes we usually look to are "Irish" and "Played for Caley"

I looked him up to see how his recovery was going. It's obviously fixed because he actually was loaned out to KV Oostende ( Belgium for the geographically challenged) in July and made his debut for them last week. Good news in that he definitely isn't an instant replacement.

IF those figures are true:

£3 million up front

realistic add ons taking it up to £5M

20% sell on clause

Then it's decent enough in the current circumstances but I really thought we'd be holding out for £4M.

I think McInnes/Cormack are probably just blagging with the he won't be replaced sign to lower expectations. We won't be signing Kerr, Findlay etc but he'll bring in a centre back on loan would be my guess. A freebie loan will still be better than Taylor or Devlin.

36 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think he's clearly a very good defender for our level. Most Aberdeen fans have just been bitter towards him since it was clear he wanted to head off, similar to how everyone convinced themselves Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean were shite as soon as they wanted to go. 

I have just never thought of him as a £5-10 million player. He looks terrible for Scotland... but so does everyone

Price is meaningless really... but he'll be worth 5-10 million as soon as goes down there.  Oli McBurnie is one of the worst players I've seen wearing a Scotland jersey in recent years.  Someone paid about 25M for him recently.

3 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Price is meaningless really... but he'll be worth 5-10 million as soon as goes down there.  Oli McBurnie is one of the worst players I've seen wearing a Scotland jersey in recent years.  Someone paid about 25M for him recently.

Think it was £20million. But exactly the same team that paid £15million for Oliver Burke just over a week back...

And co-incidentally the same team that paid £10milion in a double deal for Derby's full-backs...…..one of whom was Max Lowe

37 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I’m not bitter, beyond the grumbling sweetie paper rustling stage, about the wanting away thing.  But to “move” within hours Of (was it) Rijeka last year and the same shit now is just a tad frustrating.

Agree with others that if it’s decent money at all we were right not to play him but you can’t argue the impact was fairly telling, with our biggest game since Sociedad still to come.

Pedantic here.... but really? You think Aberdeen v Real Sociedad is the biggest game we have played in the last 6 years??

50 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Pedantic here.... but really? You think Aberdeen v Real Sociedad is the biggest game we have played in the last 6 years??

Celtic Scottish Cup final clearly takes that spot. 

Anyway, McKenna has been excellent so far this season - we wouldn't have lost 3-0 yesterday if he had played. The team was a disorganised mess at the back. 

Think he can do better than Forest. Despite them narrowly missing (bottled it) the play offs last season, they're pretty rotten. 

3 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Id have thought even if the foredt manager is dunted the move will still he on, usually these clubs transfers are done by committee now or director of football, 

And any potential new manager will have been consulted 

Yes Mcinnes will take him when he goes to forrest hopefully.

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Some of us disliked that snake (purely on hyped abilities) long before any Hun links.

I was disgusted at the pathetic one year contract as captain begging him to stay after BS Everton/Napoli links.

over rated shite bag. Thinks he’s Barry (the 5 yard pass) Ferguson 

ooh look at his pass completion rate ?

like saying is kick rate is great as every fkn one was a side foot tap letting others take possession loss responsibility 

he was perfect for Mcinnes though 

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Sorry, worded that badly and I take your point re the Celtic final.  I was really meaning in terms of immediate cash impact.  Get to the groups and pocket £3m minimum and potentially affect the coefficient which makes it that much easier to repeat.  Beat Celtic in the final and will we continue to go toe to toe with the cheeks?  Or will we just lose half our victorious squad and be back to scratch again (and still be third).