The Mckenna Dilemma

40 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

Horrible piece of business to knock back Villa last year.

The club have probably done as much as they can to maximise the deal after the cunt showed his hand with the transfer request last year.

Fuck sake.

I think everyone understood the call at the time.

McInnes apparently warned Steve Bruce against a last minute bid, yet it was still left till the last minute.

Nobody predicted that Covid would happen let alone forsee the impact to clubs.

Incidentally, it was 2 years ago that we received a bid from Villa

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I keep coming back to Findlay. He's now got 9 months left on his contract at Killie, he's left sided so would be a like for like replacement and he's been involved with the Scotland set-up quite recently. Problem is...Killie would likely want (a pure guess) around £400-500k to let him go.....maybe even a touch more as they know that we have just pulled in £3million for McKenna.

In normal times, I'm sure Cormack would authorise this immediately, given that we would be roughly £2.5million up on the deal, and Findlay's wages would at worst be the same level as McKenna. But covid has fucked up our finances, we've already brought in players essentially on the never never so it isn't going to happen for now.

What we do know is that Devlin, Taylor and Considine are all out of contract next summer. And Hoban of course in January. I'm sure we will take up the year's option on Consi. Taylor might have got an extension but yesterday's performance will have ensured that it won't happen now...McInnes and Cormack know the fans would be in revolt if he did. Devlin is gone as well. So there's 3 centre-backs now needing replaced. Hoban might well get an extension and on form he definitely should. But he's a big risk for obvious reasons. And if he continues his good form up here, an EFL 1 club in the south east of England could become interested...they'd be able to pay him the same as we can but he wouldn't have to uproot his young family 500 miles north. I think he appreciates what we have done for him rehab wise so on balance we probably are in pole position for his services. But we still need at minimum one more central defender. So Findlay on a pre-contract in January seems the obvious choice. Killie might want a fee in rather than lose him for nothing, but by then his value I'd imagine is down to about £150k or so. And at that point lower level English Championship clubs or top end EFL1 clubs might well think he's a virtual no risk investment. I just hope we are all over his agent right now letting him know of our interest.

I wouldn’t be writing Taylor off after yesterday. He had a poor match amongst others but he has proven fairly recently to be a competent Aberdeen player and perhaps him playing alongside Hoban could bring him on a bit again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
45 minutes ago, starryfish said:

I wouldn’t be writing Taylor off after yesterday. He had a poor match amongst others but he has proven fairly recently to be a competent Aberdeen player and perhaps him playing alongside Hoban could bring him on a bit again. 

He is far from competent. A good display by him is defined by him not gifting a goal to the opposition. Fuck ups and howlers are expected of him by most. 

Even when he is perceived to be playing well he launches simple passes straight out the park and he is the master of going up for a headed clearance and mistiming so badly it veers off at 90 degrees in the other direction. If we are seriously intending on seeing out the rest of the season with what we have then serious questions need asking. 

• Downvote 1
Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Like saying ‘I’d prefer to step in dog shit than cow shit’

McCrorie out of position plus Ojo in midfield is worse than both Taylor and McCrorie playing in their proper positions I'd say. 

McCrorie drives the team forward much like Shinnie did giving the defence a bit of time and space.  Ojo pulls the midfield deeper putting pressure on the defence. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McCrorie out of position plus Ojo in midfield is worse than both Taylor and McCrorie playing in their proper positions I'd say. 

McCrorie drives the team forward much like Shinnie did giving the defence a bit of time and space.  Ojo pulls the midfield deeper putting pressure on the defence. 

Both options are shit but I hate the idea of Taylor pulling on the shirt again.

Never ever seen a defender in that guy.

He ‘looks’ like he could be a CH until he starts playing.

He’s dangerous in opposition box sometimes & that had some folk completely blinkered to his actual skills in defence.

He’s a fkn cart horse in defence 

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Both options are shit but I hate the idea of Taylor pulling on the shirt again.

Never ever seen a defender in that guy.

He ‘looks’ like he could be a CH until he starts playing.

He’s dangerous in opposition box sometimes & that had some folk completely blinkered to his actual skills in defence.

He’s a fkn cart horse in defence 

Aye I can understand that but we're going to have to piss with the cock we've got.  Although I reckon we'll move for a centre half on loan to cover the short term. 

It's a bit of a state of affairs at centre back now.  The best centre back can only play once a week.  The second best is 34.  Devlin is permanently injured and then there's Taylor.  And he wants to play 3 at the back.  

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Did you say that before?  Sorry min. 

Aye I checked him out because the last I heard he had went to Australia in January on loan and promptly fucked his knee ligaments in his second match. He had an op to repair which obviously was successful, Joined Oostende in July, one year loan, and made his debut last week

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

Aye I checked him out because the last I heard he had went to Australia in January on loan and promptly fucked his knee ligaments in his second match. He had an op to repair which obviously was successful, Joined Oostende in July, one year loan, and made his debut last week

All roads lead to Findlay then. But they won't be easy to deal with. 

• Downvote 1
26 minutes ago, Millertime said:

This the same hoban here who you say there is a high chance of being injured, that you embarrassed yourself about mcinnes not starting with for the third time in 7 days, aye?

Fair chance is high is it? ?

& yes yes it is. I do not believe we have another one.

if he was willing to play him for one half then it should have been from start so he could be subbed IF injured. 
Simple really.

trying to justify the way he did it is just ridiculous. With or without hindsight.

no excuse for leaving Hoban on bench in favour of Taylor. Fitness worry or not. He was on the bench so able to play. 

As an aside. (Well not actually aside as it’s part of point) how can you think it acceptable to play Hoban for second 45 compared to first if the reason for him not playing was because he wasn’t ready to play two games in short time?

it makes zero sense. Especially as game was lost by that point anyway for all to see. So it was ok to then ‘risk’ Hoban on a lost cause?

i am genuinely interested in hearing your justification thoughts on this

5 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I keep coming back to Findlay. He's now got 9 months left on his contract at Killie, he's left sided so would be a like for like replacement and he's been involved with the Scotland set-up quite recently. Problem is...Killie would likely want (a pure guess) around £400-500k to let him go.....maybe even a touch more as they know that we have just pulled in £3million for McKenna.

In normal times, I'm sure Cormack would authorise this immediately, given that we would be roughly £2.5million up on the deal, and Findlay's wages would at worst be the same level as McKenna. But covid has fucked up our finances, we've already brought in players essentially on the never never so it isn't going to happen for now.

What we do know is that Devlin, Taylor and Considine are all out of contract next summer. And Hoban of course in January. I'm sure we will take up the year's option on Consi. Taylor might have got an extension but yesterday's performance will have ensured that it won't happen now...McInnes and Cormack know the fans would be in revolt if he did. Devlin is gone as well. So there's 3 centre-backs now needing replaced. Hoban might well get an extension and on form he definitely should. But he's a big risk for obvious reasons. And if he continues his good form up here, an EFL 1 club in the south east of England could become interested...they'd be able to pay him the same as we can but he wouldn't have to uproot his young family 500 miles north. I think he appreciates what we have done for him rehab wise so on balance we probably are in pole position for his services. But we still need at minimum one more central defender. So Findlay on a pre-contract in January seems the obvious choice. Killie might want a fee in rather than lose him for nothing, but by then his value I'd imagine is down to about £150k or so. And at that point lower level English Championship clubs or top end EFL1 clubs might well think he's a virtual no risk investment. I just hope we are all over his agent right now letting him know of our interest.

The positive here is that Taylor and Devlin aren't very good and it's an opportunity to get better replacements in.

Considine we should keep and Hoban I'd be offering a deal if he's injury free until end of October. Hopefully he'll sign up.

Agree we still need someone coming in for McKenna though.

2 hours ago, perthshirered said:

He is far from competent. A good display by him is defined by him not gifting a goal to the opposition. Fuck ups and howlers are expected of him by most. 

Even when he is perceived to be playing well he launches simple passes straight out the park and he is the master of going up for a headed clearance and mistiming so badly it veers off at 90 degrees in the other direction. If we are seriously intending on seeing out the rest of the season with what we have then serious questions need asking. 

He’s a big threat in the opposition box. He was arguably our best central defender from early December until lockdown.