The Mckenna Dilemma

8 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Do you genuinely not see why ajer is worth much, much more than mckenna?

Apart from anything else he will be on a wage commensurate with a 14m player

I am not saying Mckenna is worth the same as Ajer, However by what i have seen from both players over the last couple of years Ajer is not worth anywhere near almost 5 X what Mckenna is. I was more pointing out the fact they way Celtic do thier business and the way Aberdeen do thier business, if the rumoured figures are at least close to being true i think we have let him go too cheaply

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, starryfish said:

He’s a big threat in the opposition box. He was arguably our best central defender from early December until lockdown.

He's a bigger threat in his own box though, that's the problem. In the grand scheme of things what he does in the opposition box is completely irrelevant, I'd hazard a guess that not even one single defender has ever been signed for his goalscoring abilities. 

Arguably our best defender only if you are the only person in the house and you are arguing with yourself. He is an awful footballer. He wouldn't get a game for St Johnstone. 

8 minutes ago, RedForever said:

I am not saying Mckenna is worth the same as Ajer, However by what i have seen from both players over the last couple of years Ajer is not worth anywhere near almost 5 X what Mckenna is. I was more pointing out the fact they way Celtic do thier business and the way Aberdeen do thier business, if the rumoured figures are at least close to being true i think we have let him go too cheaply

Our best hope is that he does really well & in 12-18 months time, he’s sold to a lower EPL team for the mad prices players go for down there & we bag another £3m-£4m. 

12 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

He's a bigger threat in his own box though, that's the problem. In the grand scheme of things what he does in the opposition box is completely irrelevant, I'd hazard a guess that not even one single defender has ever been signed for his goalscoring abilities. 

Arguably our best defender only if you are the only person in the house and you are arguing with yourself. He is an awful footballer. He wouldn't get a game for St Johnstone. 

I’ve seen a lot worse at Pittodrie than Ash Taylor. Michael Devlin for example. I think Taylor would walk into 9 other Premiership sides, says a lot about the standard of the league though.

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McCrorie out of position plus Ojo in midfield is worse than both Taylor and McCrorie playing in their proper positions I'd say. 

McCrorie drives the team forward much like Shinnie did giving the defence a bit of time and space.  Ojo pulls the midfield deeper putting pressure on the defence. 

By having McCrorie in midfield,  winning the battle in midfield,  will do more to reduce our goals scored against tally than putting in Ojo and sticking McCrorie CB...

15 minutes ago, KentishDon said:

Losing McKenna will be a body blow for sure. But there’s worse to come. The day Niall McGinn retires (which I believe he will do from us) will be the day we realise what its really like to lose a class player

Is this a comedy act?

From a huge Niall McGinn fan

16 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

Are you unable to grasp the fact that he is a defender?  His job is to defend. He can't. Scoring the odd goal is absolutely irrelevant. 

He’s a perfectly competent Scottish Premiership defender. He’s also always been a scapegoat for any poor Aberdeen performance, hell even his own manager hung him out to dry by hooking him yesterday. 

• Downvote 2
5 minutes ago, starryfish said:

He’s a perfectly competent Scottish Premiership defender. He’s also always been a scapegoat for any poor Aberdeen performance, hell even his own manager hung him out to dry by hooking him yesterday. 

He tactically & performance wise absolutely deserved to be subbed.

I think he should’ve made a couple of changes after 25-30 minutes. 

• Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He tactically & performance wise absolutely deserved to be subbed.

I think he should’ve made a couple of changes after 25-30 minutes. 

Who should have been replaced? Joe Lewis who made mistakes which led to 2 of the goals? Marley Watkins who missed a sitter from 6 yards? Lewis Ferguson who was anonymous? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Is there any firm info on what the bid is?  I read its approx £5m, which I think is less than Villa bid previously - showing that its the current situation forcing the deal, rather than the size of the bid.

If it is "only" £5m then I hope we have got a healthy sell on clause included. 

According to Scott Burns, £3m up front, potentially leading to £5m with realistic add ons, & in addition a 20% sell on fee. 

• Upvote 1

In a totally underwhelming last season for the team as a whole.....Taylor was actually one of the few who could say they had been consistently good over the course of it. Some might say surprisingly so. 

Sadly yesterday gave us a glimpse of the Taylor we all knew might/definitely would resurface eventually. A total clusterfuck of a performance until thankfully McInnes took the correct action (for Taylor's own good as much as the team's) and replaced him with Hoban. Whose presence in the side is every bit as reassuring as Taylor's is worrying. But I also absolutely accept that yesterday's result was not down purely to him alone. Lewis gets revered on here a bit too much....maybe because of some of our recent incumbents of the goalkeeper's jersey we so horrendous that he seems brilliant in comparison. I'd actually posit that Lewis has as many clusterfuck performances each season as Taylor has. And Ojo…...nope just not seeing what McInnes and our scouting team saw in him. 

EDIT.....and I am still adamant that Lewis is the wrong choice to be team captain.