The Mckenna Dilemma

Whilst I acknowledge he was the best centre half/back we had and hasn't really been replaced (albeit perhaps in Gallagher we now do), I can't help but feel a lot of the time it was our midfield that was protecting the back 4. Given the decline in our overall defensive formation, from midfield to full backs or even the lack of forwards being able to hold up play, we've certainly had a lot more to deal with in defence.
He was good, but I don't think we missed him per say - more that the team have declined due to apathy and McInnes' torturous tactics.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:40 AM, aberdeen1970 said:

We were always going to miss him. 

Whilst he's not the quickest he was easily the centre back with most pace in our squad as well as being the best passer of a ball. 

We might get a sell on for him yet, the only thing that might put people off is his injury record. He's in and out with a lot of niggles over the course of a season. 

He's faster than you think.

59 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

No considine in the Scotland squad 

hanley, McKenna, Cooper, Gallagher and hendry 

think he is unfortunate seen as Hanley and hendry are shite

Think Hanley gets a rough reputation. He's better than most Scotland defenders. Just captained a good Norwich side to the Championship. He's maybe even Scotland's best centre back... but that is actually immensely depressing 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Think Hanley gets a rough reputation. He's better than most Scotland defenders. Just captained a good Norwich side to the Championship. He's maybe even Scotland's best centre back... but that is actually immensely depressing 

Clarke seems to think he's the best one too. Hendry would also appear to have made a late run to get himself in as the second best (certainly in the eyes of the pundits anyway). Despite Celtic offering him as a makeweight when they tried to sign McKenna a couple of years back

Presumably we will be persisting with a back 3, for the usual reason so unless there's a couple of injuries, can't see either Gallagher or McKenna getting a game in the Euro's

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

Seems to be playing every week. I am sure bigger teams are watching him

Agree a potential windfall for us

To be honest I never rated him but it seems he is doing just fine now

His form did dip a little in the last 6-12 months with us. 
His transfer request when the plane was on the tarmac heading to Croatia didn’t help his status with the fan base either. 

But he’s doing well down there & hopefully gets a move in the summer or soon after. 

7 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

All the best to the big guy

now that time has been a healer we can probably all admit he’s not “shit anyway I’ll drive him down to Nottingham myself”

Haha spot on. 

The English championship was always a league I felt would suit him. A league where physicality is probably the most important attribute for any player. Fingers crossed he keeper performing well. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Haha spot on. 

The English championship was always a league I felt would suit him. A league where physicality is probably the most important attribute for any player. Fingers crossed he keeper performing well. 

He's a centre half

We have been through this type of scenario before. All hoping he gets a big money move so our club can get big cash which will be invested in our team. Absolutely no chance of that happening. If McKenna does get sold for say £20m. If I mind correctly the percentage was 25 and not 20 as an add on. Say we receive £5m which will probably be paid over the length of time McKenna had left on his contract with Forest, I expect Dave Cormack will maybe at the most make a token gesture and say it paid for a McGrath type signing. The rest will go to pay back the financiers of Cormack Park. 

1 hour ago, RED_JOHN said:

We have been through this type of scenario before. All hoping he gets a big money move so our club can get big cash which will be invested in our team. Absolutely no chance of that happening. If McKenna does get sold for say £20m. If I mind correctly the percentage was 25 and not 20 as an add on. Say we receive £5m which will probably be paid over the length of time McKenna had left on his contract with Forest, I expect Dave Cormack will maybe at the most make a token gesture and say it paid for a McGrath type signing. The rest will go to pay back the financiers of Cormack Park. 

I'd still rather that than get fuck all in, a la Fraser.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The Boofon said:

Unless you're counting the amount of bad AIDS you have.

Hadn’t realised it had autocorrected from better to being…ffs.

I have been wished a lot of serious illnesses on here, just add it to the list. Currently I am fighting fit….for all those who are genuinely concerned about my health.

17 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

All the best to the big guy

now that time has been a healer we can probably all admit he’s not “shit anyway I’ll drive him down to Nottingham myself”

10 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Citation required.

Still waiting.

Dinna mak me add this to the other 8,297 posts you've made in a similar vein.
STOP IT!

I told you just a week or two ago min!

If you are going to say "hatters said this" or "hatters said that", "folk were saying this" or "folk were saying that", please provide the evidence.

Otherwise every single time you post in such a manner it shall be assumed to be, and filed under:
Made Up Shit

?

1 hour ago, muttonhumper said:

Still waiting.

Dinna mak me add this to the other 8,297 posts you've made in a similar vein.
STOP IT!

I told you just a week or two ago min!

If you are going to say "hatters said this" or "hatters said that", "folk were saying this" or "folk were saying that", please provide the evidence.

Otherwise every single time you post in such a manner it shall be assumed to be, and filed under:
Made Up Shit

?

You jokin?

You actually can’t remember folk saying that about mckenna? He was the classic. Folk were saying he was worth 10 million then when he put in his transfer request he was a tim cunt and a cart horse. 

theres 123 pages on this thread there is no chance I am trawling through it for you!

“please provide the evidence.” Deary me. What are you, afc chats official auditor

• Haha 1