Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Stephen Gleeson Signed.

All three on paper were good signings tbh but haven't worked out for one reason or another. Tansey in particular was more than an established premiership player who scored goals and played a lot of games. He came here and got a career ending injury. Forrester had bags of ability but clear personal problems and is doing well back in Ireland by all accounts. The club managed to get him off the wage bill early with a relatively small pay off. Gleeson again had irish caps and played over 100 times in the english championship.

This isn't a defence of the recruitment etc as I think we can do a lot better but on our budget nearly every transfer is going to be a risk. For every Forrester, Tansey and Gleeson we have had a Ferguson, Shinnie and McLean. For every May, Zola, Main we have had Cosgrove, Rooney, GMS. 

Joe Lewis and Shay Logan(I know struggling now) also great servants over the past few years. Greg Leigh looks decent as does Hedges. Bryson on paper was the best signing of the summer outside of the old firm. The boy has had no luck with injuries since being here but has plenty to offer once fully fit. 

I still think our recruitment is not broad enough and hopefully a link up with Atlanta will open our eyes to players across europe that they may be looking at. Apart from their top earners they will be looking at guys within our price range.

This isn't a defence of the recruitment etc as I think we can do a lot better but on our budget nearly every transfer is going to be a risk. For every Forrester, Tansey and Gleeson we have had a Ferguson, Shinnie and McLean. For every May, Zola, Main we have had Cosgrove, Rooney, GMS. 

Agree with this, there's been as much good as there has bad but it's starting to tip towards more bad now.

I think the policy should be to go for up and coming young players at other clubs who see Aberdeen as a step up (Cosgrove, Ferguson and Shinnie for example) rather than Championship/league 1 castaways that clearly see us a step down when they're in their late 20s early 30s.

All three on paper were good signings tbh but haven't worked out for one reason or another. Tansey in particular was more than an established premiership player who scored goals and played a lot of games. He came here and got a career ending injury. Forrester had bags of ability but clear personal problems and is doing well back in Ireland by all accounts. The club managed to get him off the wage bill early with a relatively small pay off. Gleeson again had irish caps and played over 100 times in the english championship.

Joe Lewis and Shay Logan(I know struggling now) also great servants over the past few years. Greg Leigh looks decent as does Hedges. Bryson on paper was the best signing of the summer outside of the old firm. The boy has had no luck with injuries since being here but has plenty to offer once fully fit. 

I still think our recruitment is not broad enough and hopefully a link up with Atlanta will open our eyes to players across europe that they may be looking at. Apart from their top earners they will be looking at guys within our price range.

Thats not the case though is it.

The good to bad ratio is nothing like 1:1.

Also many of the bad have been some of our biggest earners and most of the ones we've paid decent fees for have been flops.

Its all a bit fishy imo.

Agree with this, there's been as much good as there has bad but it's starting to tip towards more bad now.

I think the policy should be to go for up and coming young players at other clubs who see Aberdeen as a step up (Cosgrove, Ferguson and Shinnie for example) rather than Championship/league 1 castaways that clearly see us a step down when they're in their late 20s early 30s.

I would say this is the policy. These players aren't easy to find though. Can't remember the last time I saw another SPFL team with a talent like McLean or Shinnie. Both looked exceptional and were surprising signings at the time. 

Thats not the case though is it.

The good to bad ratio is nothing like 1:1.

Also many of the bad have been some of our biggest earners and most of the ones we've paid decent fees for have been flops.

Its all a bit fishy imo.

Just went through all our transfers in from 2013 to now and the bad signings outweigh the good 25:19 (all subject to opinion like). A lot of the bad signings have been in recent years which is a bit worrying...

19 Good Signings

Willo Flood

Barry Robson

Michael Hector (Loan)

Adam Rooney

Shay Logan

Kenny McLean

Greame Shinnie

Simon Church (Loan)

Danny Ward (Loan)

Joe Lewis

Ryan Christie (Loans)

James Maddison (Loan)

Michael Devlin

Sam Cosgrove

Gary Mackay Steven

Niall McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Max Lowe (Loan)

Greg Leigh (Loan)

11 Did/Do the job but nothing spectacular

Nicky Weaver

Ash Taylor

Jayden Stockley

Neil Alexander

Wes Burns (Loan)

Dom Ball (Loans)

Tomas Cerny

Greg Stewart (Loans)

Funso Ojo

Craig Bryson

Zak Vyner (Loan)

25 Bad Signings

Gregg Wylde

Alan Tate (Loan)

Calvin Zola

David Goodwillie

Scott Brown

Andy Driver

Paul Quinn

Adam Collin

Josh Parker

Ryan McLaughlin (Loan)

Callum Morris

Anthony O'Connor

Miles Storey

Stevie May

Kari Arnason

Chidi Nwakali (Loan)

Greg Tansey

Stephen Gleeson

Tommie Hoban (Loan)

Chris Forrester

James Wilson

Greg Halford

Curtis Main

Jon Gallagher (Loan)

Donervon Daniels (Loan)

I would say this is the policy. These players aren't easy to find though. Can't remember the last time I saw another SPFL team with a talent like McLean or Shinnie. Both looked exceptional and were surprising signings at the time. 

Shinnie was a surprising signing?

was it?

Common knowldge for about 6 months before, I seem to recall?

Shinnie was a surprising signing?

was it?

Common knowldge for about 6 months before, I seem to recall?

He was signed on a pre-contract. I was surprised when that was announced. I assumed he'd be off to the English Championship at that point as he looked a top player for Inverness.

Regarding the good/bad signings in the post above, it's almost worth not considering the 6 month contracts. They aren't the ones costing us hunnurs. 

Just went through all our transfers in from 2013 to now and the bad signings outweigh the good 25:19 (all subject to opinion like). A lot of the bad signings have been in recent years which is a bit worrying...

19 Good Signings

Willo Flood

Barry Robson

Michael Hector (Loan)

Adam Rooney

Shay Logan

Kenny McLean

Greame Shinnie

Simon Church (Loan) Average

Danny Ward (Loan)

Joe Lewis

Ryan Christie (Loans)

James Maddison (Loan) goal v huns but not too much else.

Michael Devlin kept out the team by Ash fucking Taylor 

Sam Cosgrove

Gary Mackay Steven

Niall McGinn McInnes inherited him and he's been average 2nd time around.

Lewis Ferguson

Max Lowe (Loan)

Greg Leigh (Loan) average but not played often at lb

Nicky Weaver hardly played

Ash Taylor hmmmm

Jayden Stockley shite

Neil Alexander never played

Wes Burns (Loan) shite

Dom Ball (Loans)

Tomas Cerny hardly played

Greg Stewart (Loans) terrible signing, fucked out how we played

Funso Ojo yet to get a proper run of games

Craig Bryson yet to get a proper run of games

Zak Vyner (Loan)

25 Bad Signings

Gregg Wylde

Alan Tate (Loan)

Calvin Zola

David Goodwillie

Scott Brown

Andy Driver

Paul Quinn

Adam Collin

Josh Parker

Ryan McLaughlin (Loan)

Callum Morris

Anthony O'Connor

Miles Storey

Stevie May

Kari Arnason

Chidi Nwakali (Loan)

Greg Tansey

Stephen Gleeson

Tommie Hoban (Loan)

Chris Forrester

James Wilson

Greg Halford

Curtis Main

Jon Gallagher (Loan)

Donervon Daniels (Loan)

I demand a recount. Circa 2:1 shite to good with a few average thrown in.

A large percentage of the shite have been some of the biggest earners and others have cost us fees.

All in all its fair to say McInnes is pretty shite at transfers.

ICT & St Mirren to think of two in recent memory ;)

also, ICT also had Christie.

Motherwell, Killie, Dundee, Hibs, Hearts & St Mirren have also produced some very good players lately. Commanding big fees or serious potential 

He was signed on a pre-contract. I was surprised when that was announced. I assumed he'd be off to the English Championship at that point as he looked a top player for Inverness.

Regarding the good/bad signings in the post above, it's almost worth not considering the 6 month contracts. They aren't the ones costing us hunnurs. 

Signings are signings, loans or not.

if you remove the bad 6 month loans yo have to remove the good ones as well.

as for saying they didn’t cost us hunnurs. That may be the case with some but not the likes of Wilson, Christie & quite possibly a good few more. 

Tansey was never in any way ever going to be a good signing.

was disgusted at the prospect of us/McInnes trying to BUY the fkr. 
was a pathetic signing.

as bad as Main in his current lot.

he really does have some baffling signings, some are just lazy signings that (he thinks) can do a job but some are so far off what any of us would consider good enough for our first team it’s crazy. 

Tansey was never in any way ever going to be a good signing.

was disgusted at the prospect of us/McInnes trying to BUY the fkr.

was a pathetic signing.

as bad as Main in his current lot.

he really does have some baffling signings, some are just lazy signings that (he thinks) can do a job but some are so far off what any of us would consider good enough for our first team it’s crazy.

Never trust a scouser is a life lesson everyone should know.

Signings are signings, loans or not.

if you remove the bad 6 month loans yo have to remove the good ones as well.

as for saying they didn’t cost us hunnurs. That may be the case with some but not the likes of Wilson, Christie & quite possibly a good few more. 

Yeah I meant remove the good and the bad ones. You've just referenced two players who were here longer than 6 months you silly sausage, so of course thats not the case.

All i'm getting at it the fact a lot of them were signed a back up / cover at a time when we needed it and they were basically all that was available. Most of them were never going to be good. Did anyone think Greg Halford was going to come in, after about 9 months without a club, as back up while Logan was injured and play like Cafu?? Or even play as well as Stephen Payne?? Absolutely not

• Upvote 1

19 Good Signings

Willo Flood

Barry Robson

Michael Hector (Loan)

Adam Rooney

Shay Logan

Kenny McLean

Greame Shinnie

Simon Church (Loan)

Danny Ward (Loan)

Joe Lewis

Ryan Christie (Loans)

James Maddison (Loan)

Michael Devlin

Sam Cosgrove

Gary Mackay Steven

Niall McGinn

Lewis Ferguson

Max Lowe (Loan)

Greg Leigh (Loan)

Nicky Weaver

Ash Taylor

Jayden Stockley

Neil Alexander

Wes Burns (Loan)

Dom Ball (Loans)

Tomas Cerny

Greg Stewart (Loans)

Funso Ojo

Craig Bryson

Zak Vyner (Loan)

25 Bad Signings

Gregg Wylde

Alan Tate (Loan)

Calvin Zola

David Goodwillie

Scott Brown

Andy Driver

Paul Quinn

Adam Collin

Josh Parker

Ryan McLaughlin (Loan)

Callum Morris

Anthony O'Connor

Miles Storey

Stevie May

Kari Arnason

Chidi Nwakali (Loan)

Greg Tansey

Stephen Gleeson

Tommie Hoban (Loan)

Chris Forrester

James Wilson

Greg Halford

Curtis Main

Jon Gallagher (Loan)

Donervon Daniels (Loan)

Anyone who thinks Anthony O'Connor was a bad signing has a serious chip on their shoulder. He was a more than capable player for us. Majority of the bad signings on that list are back up players, take away Forrester, Tansey, Gleeson, Wilson(who could still come good) & Stevie May, then the rest on that list will have been mid to lower earners at the club. and realistically back up options to our first choice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone who thinks Anthony O'Connor was a bad signing has a serious chip on their shoulder. He was a more than capable player for us. Majority of the bad signings on that list are back up players, take away Forrester, Tansey, Gleeson, Wilson(who could still come good) & Stevie May, then the rest on that list will have been mid to lower earners at the club. and realistically back up options to our first choice. 

So mostly the big signings/big fees/big earners that have been the flops then.

Yay!