What's the right attitude? I've always had the impression that he has an over flated opinion of his own ability.

Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence. 

The right attitude is he won't take shite from the 'bigger' clubs. We're guilty of being like deer in the headlights against certain sides. 

To Taylor's credit, if I were to be looking for positives in re-signing the guy, he was happy enough to square up to a cunt inna. I remember some guy who'd been getting up one of our young lads' faces and trying to intimidate the loon. Taylor was having none of that, running a good 30 yards to plant himself between them, inviting the guy to have a go at him instead. 

He's a big, solid unit, is Ashton.  

Is Fyvie's ankle still fucked?

If it is then I'd be hesitant. If it's not he'd make a perfect squad player. 

• Downvote 1

Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence. 

The right attitude is he won't take shite from the 'bigger' clubs. We're guilty of being like deer in the headlights against certain sides. 

To Taylor's credit, if I were to be looking for positives in re-signing the guy, he was happy enough to square up to a cunt inna. I remember some guy who'd been getting up one of our young lads' faces and trying to intimidate the loon. Taylor was having none of that, running a good 30 yards to plant himself between them, inviting the guy to have a go at him instead. 

He's a big, solid unit, is Ashton.  

Is Fyvie's ankle still fucked?

If it is then I'd be hesitant. If it's not he'd make a perfect squad player. 

We'll have to agree to disagree Kelt because everything I've seen of him since he came back up the road shows why he spent the majority of his time in the Championship.

Fyvie was never that good in terms of technical ability. He was just a man and pretty much fully physically developed at 16 years old, hence his very early appearances.

Maybe a bit unfair on Fyvie, as I think injuries played their part in stunting his progression. However, it reminds me of a situation we had with another player who came up through our youth system, years ago - Andy Bagshaw.

Physically a beast compared to the other kids...and dominated throughout the age levels.  However, the other youngsters eventually caught up with him.  I walked past him, just off Union Street, about 10 years ago... and was amazed actually at how small he was!  From what I'd read and heard about him... I was expecting a Scottish Diego Costa!  Think he must have just stopped growing and developing physically when quite young.  That's the lottery of nature I guess!

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on Fyvie. I just recall folk thinking ("hoping" maybe a better word) he would be the next big thing because he was in our team at 16 but never really saw that in him myself. I was always a bit underwhelmed by him. Although he definitely had potential to be a reasonably solid player for us, I never thought he'd amount to much when he went down south.

Maybe a bit unfair on Fyvie, as I think injuries played their part in stunting his progression. However, it reminds me of a situation we had with another player who came up through our youth system, years ago - Andy Bagshaw.

Physically a beast compared to the other kids...and dominated throughout the age levels.  However, the other youngsters eventually caught up with him.  I walked past him, just off Union Street, about 10 years ago... and was amazed actually at how small he was!  From what I'd read and heard about him... I was expecting a Scottish Diego Costa!  Think he must have just stopped growing and developing physically when quite young.  That's the lottery of nature I guess!

Fyvie was absolutely a better player than Bagshaw.

What Fyvie had was a great engine. 

I don't recall there being a major problem with the technical side of his game...

Didn't he play for us after his cruciate injury, and apparently showing enough potential that Wigan had a punt on him?  

Admittedly I've seen very little of him in recent years... I think the last time might be the SCF where Hibs beat the Vermin... Fyvie largely anonymous until his world class tackle on Zelalem, after which he came more into the game. 

Maybe he's terrible now, in which case I retract the suggestion of bringing him in as a squad player. 

If he's much the same player though... I'd think he's worth a short term contract as cover for midfield. 

• Downvote 1