Cormack Thread

21 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

DC pulled the plug on McInnes and his usual crocks and jack of all trades signings?

McInnes looked scunnered in todays presser. Good!

He's got a massive squad so he can hardly complain really. 

The backing he got in January and especially in the summer was huge really under the circumstances. 

It's his squad that he built and he's going to have to take them over the line and earn his corn. 

I'd like to see us at least send Edmondson back and twist on another loan striker but maybe we're paying next to fuck all for Edmondson. 

Same with Leigh, that money could have been used on a loan in a position we actually need. Strange decision to keep him on really. 

42 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Bit strange rangers also stopped at 9. The boards of those 2 are closer than you think. Both would have seen huge season tickets sale drops if 10 in a row happened.

Their boards are undoubtedly enmeshed, on message, whatever you want to call it.  But Id be amazed if the hubristic Murray somehow gave up on the 10 in 97.  Tims on the other hand have played an absolute blinder in padding their fans along and then apparently dropping a baton they never had any intention of holding very firmly anyway.  Financial damage was the inability to utilise CL monies available.  Social damage to them now could be far worse.  Hopefully.

If I was Celtic I would have taken the ten (hardly difficult with the relative budgets) and then dropped the baton.  Agree, any longer than that, unless the cunts somehow fluked a euro trophy would have knocked them back sufficiently for a while. 

Of course what they're banking on is that they and indeed all of us now turn up in some kind of panto grievance mode.  Cant speak for Celtic who are the dumbest fans imaginable, cant even speak for us.  But me personally, relative to the emotional investment pre 2012, even when we were uber shite, not remotely interested.  Sevco us on Sunday might as well be Hogan vs the undertaker.  Pure artificial pish put on for a predetermined outcome. 

3 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Their boards are undoubtedly enmeshed, on message, whatever you want to call it.  But Id be amazed if the hubristic Murray somehow gave up on the 10 in 97.  Tims on the other hand have played an absolute blinder in padding their fans along and then apparently dropping a baton they never had any intention of holding very firmly anyway.  Financial damage was the inability to utilise CL monies available.  Social damage to them now could be far worse.  Hopefully.

If I was Celtic I would have taken the ten (hardly difficult with the relative budgets) and then dropped the baton.  Agree, any longer than that, unless the cunts somehow fluked a euro trophy would have knocked them back sufficiently for a while. 

Of course what they're banking on is that they and indeed all of us now turn up in some kind of panto grievance mode.  Cant speak for Celtic who are the dumbest fans imaginable, cant even speak for us.  But me personally, relative to the emotional investment pre 2012, even when we were uber shite, not remotely interested.  Sevco us on Sunday might as well be Hogan vs the undertaker.  Pure artificial pish put on for a predetermined outcome. 

It's what sky want to invest in. 

Celtic and Huns pumping everyone else and four bigot fests. Ideally ending in a helicopter Sunday with the chopper changing direction a couple of times before landing on the centre circle at Ibrox. 

This year they'll take a Hun landslide though to complete the 'journey' 

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McInnes is normally pretty cagey during transfer windows to be fair. 

I think we'll need to shift Cosgrove to get any wriggle room at all this window though. Wage bill must be well over budget currently.  Cosgrove down to his last 17 months so needs to go this window to get any real value as the price tag will be getting lower and lower, especially if he's not in the team. 

Starting to look likely that Ferguson will be sold sooner rather than later as well isn't it? 

If needs must the so be it. I'd rather have a solvent club in a better position to capitalise post covid than be saddled with debt coming out of it. 

If we are seriously  looking to get cash for Sam then DM needs  to start giving him a full game ahead of the hopeless Main

Clubs can't see him if he doesn't play or just comes on for 10 mins it also makes economic  sense

If we get some cash for Sam it will help towards the covid  financial losses this season. To be honest even if we sell him any money  spent in the transfer window would be peanuts and any replacement  would be about Mains  footballing ability anyway

8 hours ago, daytripping said:

Bit strange rangers also stopped at 9. The boards of those 2 are closer than you think. Both would have seen huge season tickets sale drops if 10 in a row happened.

So Celtic made an 'agreement' with the other cunts whom they hate (or perhaps that's a pantomime), to step aside and give up history?

Really?

I can only think that Cormack knows what he is doing and that the low offers we appear to have given to Brophy, Wright and GMS turn out to be very shrewd moves when the season is scrapped. He has better signings and manager lined up for the next proper season.

Either that or he is a f@ckwit that has spent too long with Wiggy!!

1 hour ago, alscotoz said:

So Celtic made an 'agreement' with the other cunts whom they hate (or perhaps that's a pantomime), to step aside and give up history?

Really?

It is pantomime with the money makers, outside those two no one cares about 10 in a row, pub league. It hurts them both if one of them do it. The boards know the score and don't want to ruin the rivalry. Celtic had half empty stadiums when the hun wasn't there. 

BTW You've got a starry eyed 80's thinking of the rivalry, not like that these days. It's not a big thing now, just glory hunting beige people.

• Downvote 1

Just as you said yourself.  Panto.  And one with good viewing figures as MT said.

My issue is that we all contribute to its upkeep, certainly have no intention of rocking any boats.  They can squabble over 1, 2, 9 or 10 all they like but god forbid the loser isn’t second, even less that they could be uncompetitive with a mediocre squad. Our existence based on scraps.  Nothing more.

And don’t start me on fucking Colts.

What a terrible January. Things are starting unravel quickly.

Results have been poor along with the performances. Failed to beat Dundee United, Rangers or Ross County. Our latest result is s 4-1 thumping from the bottom team. 

Finances are obviously a shambles for all clubs yet Hearts, Saint Mirren and Hibs seem to find some money from somewhere to sign players.

January Transfer window. Starts with both Cormack and Derek stating in December they will be assessing the situation and seeing what changes to the squad they can make. First week into January, GMS turns us down and signs for Hearts, Brophy turns us down and signs for Saint Mirren, Scott Wright turns down a new because he wants to go to England......sorry Sevco and then an announcement that no signings will be made. If you are a current player that must be disappointing news to know we can't improve.

Then there is the squad situation in the summer, lots of players coming out of contract which may not be a bad thing but with finances seemingly so tight we are going to struggle to replace those that leave. We also have to pay the wages we deferred. 

Lastly lots of rumours on social media concerning the future of our current manager. Must be again unsettling for players.

Cormack needs to address the fans and provide some answers or clarity. Lots of us are already starting to loose interest again which will further hit the bottom line. 

Others may say this is an overreaction however I would go as far as saying this is the most disappointing and concerning past two weeks we've had while McInnes has been at the helm. Despite selling Mckenna and a few players departing during this window we are unable to sign one player unless its as part of an exchange deal with The Rangers.

Hibs and Hearts will be in the exact same financial situation as ourselves. Certainly Hearts. Hibs haven't sold anyone this campaign and in fact spent two 300k fees on two separate individuals at the start of the season. In the past day they have signed Cadden and Irvine who will both be on decent wages. The best we could offer GMS was a deal that requested we deferred his wages until the summer whereas Hearts are in a place (despite being in the Championship and having lost 9 million due to relegation) to sign him outright now. Aaron Hickey was sold for 1.7 million which involves monthly instalments from Bologna. We sold Mckenna for more then 3 million. Unless Cormack is anticipating an early end to the season I can't understand how we can be worse off then the entire SPL when it comes to funding new signings. Agree with Super_Al. He needs to come out and provide clarity to the support.

We've been in decline for at least the past couple of years.  Myself and many others have repeatedly pointed this out. The rot had set in well before Cormack took over... however, Cormack is very much the man now and he's going to be judged on his actions. Will be interesting to where he goes with all this... One things that will certainly irk him - the gradient of decline has been most rapid since the opening of Cormack Park!  We were a better team when the team was dodging dog shit!

47 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Others may say this is an overreaction however I would go as far as saying this is the most disappointing and concerning past two weeks we've had while McInnes has been at the helm. Despite selling Mckenna and a few players departing during this window we are unable to sign one player unless its as part of an exchange deal with The Rangers.

Hibs and Hearts will be in the exact same financial situation as ourselves. Certainly Hearts. Hibs haven't sold anyone this campaign and in fact spent two 300k fees on two separate individuals at the start of the season. In the past day they have signed Cadden and Irvine who will both be on decent wages. The best we could offer GMS was a deal that requested we deferred his wages until the summer whereas Hearts are in a place (despite being in the Championship and having lost 9 million due to relegation) to sign him outright now. Aaron Hickey was sold for 1.7 million which involves monthly instalments from Bologna. We sold Mckenna for more then 3 million. Unless Cormack is anticipating an early end to the season I can't understand how we can be worse off then the entire SPL when it comes to funding new signings. Agree with Super_Al. He needs to come out and provide clarity to the support.

That's not true though is it?

Like saying we've lost 15 million because we never qualified for Champions League.

Can't lose what you've not got.

4 hours ago, The Boofon said:

That's not true though is it?

Like saying we've lost 15 million because we never qualified for Champions League.

Can't lose what you've not got.

During the summer when Hearts took legal action over the SPL's decision to relegate them they were seeking 8 million in compensation. Anne Budge proclaimed that this was the figure they forecasted in loses due to dropping a division.

The article below highlights that Neilson's budget for the upcoming championship season would be reduced as a result of relegation. Prior to their relegation, Hearts' playing budget was the 4th highest last season. According to the Scotsman,  Aberdeen's average salary per player was the 3rd highest at £140,461 while Hearts' were operating with the 4th highest at £137,942. Shortly after this article was released (January 2nd) Hearts went onto sign Liam Boyce on a reported 6k a week contract (in order to out bid Aberdeen). Since then they have added Kingsley, Craig Gordon and now GMS to their squad on a supposed "meagre budget". All of whom will be on very decent wages. They also hired Robbie Neilson at the start of the season to which they would have paid a fairly decent compensation package to Dundee Utd. Yes they sold Hickey for 1.7 million during this time but it barely covers the loses they would have made due to relegation and particularly not during this current pandemic. If anything this pandemic will have been financially more devastating to them then ourselves. We also sold McKenna for over 3 million to help cover our loses from September to January. Its true that the secret benefactor James Anderson has been investing millions into Hearts' over the course of the last 9 years however I still find it hard to believe that given everything that has transpired of the past year that Hearts are in a better place financially to out compete us for players. The same argument can be made towards Hibs. 

Theres been absolutely no update regarding the sale of Hernandez who seemingly is still our player and yet is apparently half way across the world essentially on vacation with his family. My suspicion is Atlanta or whoever have pulled the plug on that potential transfer and we are now stuck with a player not good enough for our squad that cost us 800k. I don't wish to hear from McInnes. Cormack needs to address the fans concerns regarding the ongoing Hernandez situation and the current financial crisis our club appears to be in. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-premiership/latest-premiership-news/scottish-premiership-wage-bills-all-12-teams-ranked-celtic-and-rangers-pull-away-majority-ps62m-paid-salaries-1398455

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-could-seek-up-8m-18419129

"And Deans has suggested such litigation could tie the SPFL up in the courts for "months if not years" or cost the organisation up to £8m in damages."

"And if Hearts ask the court to ring fence £8million to cover potential damages and costs, how would a club who voted yes feel when their payment from SPFL was drastically reduced? 

"How do they tell their manager that his already meagre budget was being reduced? And how would they react to a board who had the power to avoid all this yet refused to exercise it?"

8 hours ago, super_al said:

What a terrible January. Things are starting unravel quickly.

Results have been poor along with the performances. Failed to beat Dundee United, Rangers or Ross County. Our latest result is s 4-1 thumping from the bottom team. 

Finances are obviously a shambles for all clubs yet Hearts, Saint Mirren and Hibs seem to find some money from somewhere to sign players.

January Transfer window. Starts with both Cormack and Derek stating in December they will be assessing the situation and seeing what changes to the squad they can make. First week into January, GMS turns us down and signs for Hearts, Brophy turns us down and signs for Saint Mirren, Scott Wright turns down a new because he wants to go to England......sorry Sevco and then an announcement that no signings will be made. If you are a current player that must be disappointing news to know we can't improve.

Then there is the squad situation in the summer, lots of players coming out of contract which may not be a bad thing but with finances seemingly so tight we are going to struggle to replace those that leave. We also have to pay the wages we deferred. 

Lastly lots of rumours on social media concerning the future of our current manager. Must be again unsettling for players.

Cormack needs to address the fans and provide some answers or clarity. Lots of us are already starting to loose interest again which will further hit the bottom line. 

5 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

I'd rather we were sensible with signings this month. McInnes signed plenty of players (mostly pish) in the summer. The squad is massive  at the moment. Greg Leigh for example...why sign him? A left back when we're not playing full backs!? That and the fact he's garbage. 

What McInnes was said that he hoped to get 2 in, but 2 would have to leave - no one on a permanent contract has left yet, have they? Which is no surprise, as pretty much every player has been bang average this season. 

we hear from the media about how he manages to rebuild every season - to me it's the managers fault that we have to rebuild every season - he's the one that sets contract lengths/buys players that are quite simply not good enough. Maybe, just maybe, the board have decided enough is enough, and told him to buck ip his ideas. 

5 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

Let's not make McInnes out to be hard done by here. 

He was backed heavily last January to repair the mistakes he made with the previous summer signings. 

He was backed heavily again this season. 

He's been able to sign 70 odd players on permanent or loan in his time here. That's around 10 per season.  And that's not counting 7 years of our own youth players. 

He shouldn't be in a position where no funds during one window (especially a January one) is such a critical issue. 

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

we here from the media about how he manages to rebuild every season - to me it's the managers fault that we have to rebuild every season - he's the one that sets contract lengths/buys players that are quite simply not good enough. Maybe, just maybe, the board have decided enough is enough, and told him to buck ip his ideas. 

Absolutely. 

Let's not hear any more of the poor McInnes rhetoric.  It's like a cult now, folk diving in to defend him with ever more pathetic excuses, mainly built on their own innate fear of life being like it was under McGhee after he goes rather than anything else. 

17 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I'd rather we were sensible with signings this month. McInnes signed plenty of players (mostly pish) in the summer. The squad is massive  at the moment. Greg Leigh for example...why sign him? A left back when we're not playing full backs!? That and the fact he's garbage. 

What McInnes was said that he hoped to get 2 in, but 2 would have to leave - no one on a permanent contract has left yet, have they? Which is no surprise, as pretty much every player has been bang average this season. 

we hear from the media about how he manages to rebuild every season - to me it's the managers fault that we have to rebuild every season - he's the one that sets contract lengths/buys players that are quite simply not good enough. Maybe, just maybe, the board have decided enough is enough, and told him to buck ip his ideas. 

The Greg Leigh thing really pisses me off. 

We're tight for funds.  Yet we extend his deal so he can sit on the bench til summer.  What a waste. 

I bet nobody watched the game yesterday and thought that team is really missing Greg Leigh. 

A proportion of the Leigh, Edmondson and Watkins money could have been used to bring in an attacking player that we sorely need surely? Rather than keeping on a bench warmer. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The Greg Leigh thing really pisses me off. 

We're tight for funds.  Yet we extend his deal so he can sit on the bench til summer.  What a waste. 

I bet nobody watched the game yesterday and thought that team is really missing Greg Leigh. 

A proportion of the Leigh, Edmondson and Watkins money could have been used to bring in an attacking player that we sorely need surely? Rather than keeping on a bench warmer. 

And as ive said on another thread he's not played a single minute in the back three only as left wing back and centre mid. We could have survived without him in both of those positions

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Let's not make McInnes out to be hard done by here. 

He was backed heavily last January to repair the mistakes he made with the previous summer signings. 

He was backed heavily again this season. 

He's been able to sign 70 odd players on permanent or loan in his time here. That's around 10 per season.  And that's not counting 7 years of our own youth players. 

He shouldn't be in a position where no funds during one window (especially a January one) is such a critical issue. 

Its completely nonsensical to even suggest that we should consider bypassing this current window based on his summer dealings. Every transfer window is an opportunity for the manager/board to address current issues with the squad whether that be injuries, departing players or loanees returning to parent clubs. Every club in the world attempts to tweak their side in January where needed. Watkins, Edmundson, Cerny and supposedly Hernandez have all left the club. I would agree that Greg Leigh is adequate at best and was most likely kept on more so due to his versatility then his actually playing ability.

IMO this window in particular holds a little more significance then past windows. As mentioned by others on this forum, if Aberdeen were to  finish in the top three or win the Scottish Cup we would have one knockout round to compete in for a potential spot in the Europa Group stages. A tournament that we have struggled to get past the 3rd qualifying round each year under McInnes tenure. The financial implications of qualifying for the group stages or the aforementioned UEFA Europa conference cup especially during this pandemic crisis would hugely significant for the club.

5 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Its completely nonsensical to even suggest that we should consider bypassing this current window based on his summer dealings. Every transfer window is an opportunity for the manager/board to address current issues with the squad whether that be injuries, departing players or loanees returning to parent clubs. Every club in the world attempts to tweak their side in January where needed. Watkins, Edmundson, Cerny and supposedly Hernandez have all left the club. I would agree that Greg Leigh is adequate at best and was most likely kept on more so due to his versatility then his actually playing ability.

You're not getting my point. 

There is no money apparently. 

I'm saying it shouldn't be that big an issue considering the recent investment made. 

You seem to be suggesting McInnes isn't being backed and the board need to step up and back him. 

They already have.  There's no money left to spend. He's already spent his budget and more this season.  We're owe money to Hayes and the Huns in the summer on top. 

And the little money he did get he used to extend Leigh. 

5 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

We've been in decline for at least the past couple of years.  Myself and many others have repeatedly pointed this out. The rot had set in well before Cormack took over... however, Cormack is very much the man now and he's going to be judged on his actions. Will be interesting to where he goes with all this... One things that will certainly irk him - the gradient of decline has been most rapid since the opening of Cormack Park!  We were a better team when the team was dodging dog shit!

Fully agree min.

Cormack Park was built with the intent of having a better chance of recruitming players than before that would ultimately improve our squad. If that was the primary intent, it has been a complete and utter failure. 

Dave Cormack's current bout of silence is deafening and is not helpful in the slightest. When he first came back to Aberdeen, he was proactively keeping supporters informed on developments at our club, along with vocally backing our club at the outset of the Coronavirus episode. All that good work is rapidly becoming unravelled with his continued silence, and due to the general weak mentality of our players, it is having a huge adverse effect. Performances and results emphasise this. 

Questions that need to be answered include;

1. Why was a lower league club able to offer a better deal to a former player? Unforgivable.

2. Why did we not do everything we could to attract Eamonn Brophy, an upgrade on our current "strikers", to Aberdeen? Again unforgivable.

3. Why pointlessly extend the contract of Greg Leigh, a bang average bench warmer?

4. What is happening with Ronald Hernandez, once and for all? 

5. What is his current take on our club, players, and, in particular, management? 

6. What players are not to have their current contract renewed?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1