Over-rated Cities

Clydeside_Sheep

Is it cool to think beautiful cities are a dump? Not sure I've visited anywhere I really didn't like.

I have seen Florence, Prague and Paris all mentioned which are all fantastic in my opinion. Every city has it's share of tramps and rough edges but the architecture in these places is outstanding.

Florence is probably my favourite city I've visited.

• Downvote 1

Surprised to see Athens getting some mentions here.

It is a truly fantastic place, some amazing bars and areas with indy/alternative culture.

Piraeus is excellent too.

I think those calling it a shithole may not have had time to explore it, say in the days around the Dons visit to Panathinaikos.
For that one, I thought the place was pretty shit boring, until the last night when we actually sussed the best places to go.

Had 5 days there visiting friends earlier this year, was fucking fantastic.

Of course it does help that they had lived there for a couple of years and knew where to go.

For the other mentions.

Agree with Milan, pretty boring, pricey.
Paris, I've enjoyed some of the time there, but can see why folk would think it a shit hole, and agree that it is overated.

Barcelona, I really like, but again possibly overated.

Hamburg I love, but that's probably because I'm a pervert. Decadent.

Dublin, I'd touch on what someone else mentioned, get away from Temple Bar and Grafton Street for a bit, and it's great.
Had some amazing times there.

Prague, also many visits, and canna hae that place marked doon. That's nae possible when you can still get pints for less than a pound.
Just keep awa fae Old Town Square and Wenceslas Sq. Some brilliant bars kicking aboot.

I know you're all giving Dublin a hard time but tbf I went there and it was even fucking worse. Shit city. Shit people.

I haven't been to Paris, and wouldn't go if it was free. Looks like London but with worse breath.

Birmingham. Englands second city? I wiped my feet on the way out.

To balance things. Naples was awesome. Been twice. Amazing place, great food and drink, beautiful people. Football mad. Loads to do. It's even got a working volcano.

I liked Rome, naturally. Expensive, but plenty of beautiful women and beautiful Churches, plus great food and wine. Everything a man needs really.

Surprised to see Hamburg on the list, I really liked it there. We had a fantastic time on the Reeperbahn. I liked the feel to it and, of course, the "grosse freiheit".

Aye Hamburg is a great city ! Couldn't fault it at all. Was in Munich a couple of week's back and it was ace as well... not found a German city i haven't liked as yet.  

Dublin is completely overrated, as numerous others have said. Didn't hate it as such, but it wasn't what folk make it out to be.