Aberdeen V Sevco (Post-Match Reaction)

1 minute ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Our performance was summed up by the sight of sub Ryan Hedges entering the field wearing a hairband.

For once I agree with you.  If our performance wasn't embarrassing enough!

Looked like a total fanny (and played like a total fanny).  Top players can pull that off, or wear whatever they want - Hedges certainly does not fall into that category.

11 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Yeah, much better to get pumped 5-1 than lose 1-0.

They lost a goal in injury time to make it 5-1 when they were still pushing to get a goal. Hamilton were not shamed by that result. They could well have had a least 2 other goals with a bit of luck/better finishing. They most certainly didn't go to Parkhead and sit in, waiting for the inevitable. And they certainly entertained in doing what they did. Celtic's quality of course shone through in the end but if Hamilton continue to play like that all season they will have no relegation worries.

I expected us to be slightly behind in our match fitness but our fitness in general looked poor which is not something we usually lack as a squad. Whether that’s down to the limited pre-season or less intense training methods being enforced due to distancing measures I don’t know. You can almost excuse this of the players but not struggling to get the basics right like simple passing and movement. Not having  a vociferous crowd behind us to up the tempo probably worked against us too although I imagine there would have been little positivity being shouted from the stands on the back of such a lacklustre performance.
It was unfortunate that we had Sevco first up who were certainly sharper for the extra friendlies and better organised, but it already looks like their inability to press home their advantage will see them fail to seriously challenge Celtic again.
It’s ironic that the one area of the pitch we had concerns about (defence) actually looked pretty decent whereas our strongest area in midfield was woefully out of sorts. Anderson was given nothing to work with so would be harsh to drop him on that basis

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

They lost a goal in injury time to make it 5-1 when they were still pushing to get a goal. Hamilton were not shamed by that result. They could well have had a least 2 other goals with a bit of luck/better finishing. They most certainly didn't go to Parkhead and sit in, waiting for the inevitable. And they certainly entertained in doing what they did. Celtic's quality of course shone through in the end but if Hamilton continue to play like that all season they will have no relegation worries.

Hamilton will be in a relegation fight all season, not sure why you would think otherwise just because they “had a go”.

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I thought Considines straight red card was harsh (or had he been booked already?).

Straight red. Daft tackle but if VAR was in operation up here then Arfield would have went as well. Cunt jumps two footed when he realises Considine is sliding towards the ball. 

11 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Atrocious. 

We are fucking terrified on the ball. Campbell came on and was more composed than any of our midfielders. 

Pass the ball up to half way, turn and put it back to Lewis who pumps it long. 

Huns were shite, no chance they win the league. 

The only real positive we can take from it was that the huns are not going to win the league.

2 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Too early to tell. I don't think they'll score a lot of goals but they won't concede many either.  Celtic will score more but their defence is worse than the Huns' imo.

The huns don’t have enough strength in depth. 
Same players week in, week out - even in pre-season.

They might sell the fat Colombian mong and re-invest it I suppose.

Celtic should win it comfortably. 

Mcinnes can actually get to fuck. Fucking fed up of his negative pish. 

Ive given him the benefit of the doubt on about 8 occasions against the old firm however he continuously fails to learn from his mistakes. I’m not a manager and don’t claim to know better than them however it’s clear as fucking day to everyone and their granny that we do the same shit over and over and over again and it DOES NOT WORK... 

two strikers up front and go for a win. Have some faith in your own team. Tavernier said last season that rangers shit it when teams attack them and yet we let them swan about like Barcelona. We didn’t get a touch of the ball for the first 5 minutes. 

Appreciate this is early for a rant but fuck me Iv had enough of him. 

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

If Livingston could have had another 2 goals with a bit of luck, how much more could Celtic have had with the same bit of luck?

10-3?

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I know what you are trying to say in that Hamilton "had a go" at times.

But answering truthfully , if we had consistently had a go against the Huns and been picked off on the break a few times and lost 5-1 would you have been happier than losing 1-0? 

I know they aren't the only 2 options but I think using Hamilton as a yardstick is odd.

4 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

I thought Considines straight red card was harsh (or had he been booked already?).

I thought it was Harsh too.

Nothing for Arfield who jumped in two footed.

O'Halloran only got a yellow when he was later into the tackle

There was another player who scissored a player through the back and only got a yellow (can't recall which team), Scott Brown was also up to his shennanigans with no recourse.

All worse than Considines, who actually won the ball.

49 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

If Livingston could have had another 2 goals with a bit of luck, how much more could Celtic have had with the same bit of luck?

10-3?

That would have been brilliant to watch. A  possible 2 goals from a team not even on the park...

And yes Celtic could have had 10. Hamilton lost by 4 goals in the end having a go and the game was entertaining to watch. How often have we shipped a barrowload against Celtic by sitting back and laying down to them? If we are going to get beaten by them...and with the gulf in finances/quality they should win most of the time....I'd far rather do it the Hamilton way.

We definitely have a better side. The line up last game was fine, we should of had McGinn, Hayes, and Campbell starting in midfield and started with Edmondson as striker (Anderson was awful). If our line up has these 4 starting and Anderson just stays on the bench we'll sweep the floor on Saturday. It's a piss off that Considine was red carded (wasn't a red, but whatever) but at least it'll stop DM from playing him on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Ten Caat said:

That would have been brilliant to watch. A  possible 2 goals from a team not even of the park...

And yes Celtic could have had 10. Hamilton lost by 4 goals in the end having a go and the game was entertaining to watch. How often have we shipped a barrowload against Celtic by sitting back and laying down to them? If we are going to get beaten by them...and with the gulf in finances/quality they should win most of the time....I'd far rather do it the Hamilton way.

Haha, yeah ok, had a brain fart.

Saturday was pretty poor, I agree. We looked very slow off the mark. SevCo readiness (fitness wise) was way ahead of us.

That said, we restricted them to very few chances that troubled Lewis and could maybe have sneaked a goal ourselves (they are poor on crosses but our crosses were very poor on Saturday).

We could have had a go on Saturday, but honestly, looking at our fitness, we would have been horsed, so better to to take a 1 goal deficit than lose by 4 or 5.

That lies with DM, he should have had them much sharper. We should have had more match friendlies to sharpen up.

I don't agree with doing it the Hamilton way though, what has that gained them? Two seasons ago, we knocked SevCo out of both competitions by our tactics. I doubt Hamilton would have had similar success.

I don;t mind sitting in a defending resolutely if required, but when you get the ball, we need to hold onto it a bit better or at least stretch them on the counter to create opportunities.

There were too many players ineffective on Saturday. Bryson for example as our most experienced outfield player was doing a very decent job filling in gaps and denying space, but didn't really have an individual impact to win the ball back or indeed do anything with it when we had the ball.

I'd love for us to go toe to toe with them, ask every player to take responsibility, but don't have the players / management to be successful (in my opinion)

• Downvote 1

Mcinnes repeatedly said in the lead up to Saturdays game that Sevco were a possession team that liked to have plenty of the ball, now it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out if that's what they like to do and you then let them do what they like doing then it should be no surprise when they beat you. what we should have been doing was knocking them out of there stride and not letting them have plenty of possession. Mcinnes actually said before hand we would just have to accept us having large spells of the game where we don't have the ball, so then all we do is keep giving them the ball and not pressurising them when they do have it. there possession stats only dipped when our subs came on and we kept the ball a bit better by then it was too late

I'd possibly agree if it were Celtic that we were facing (but they horse us regularly no matter what tactics we employ....as I said there is a huge gulf in finances and quality so it should happen more often than not). But it was sevco we were facing. Fucking sevco. Again there is a bit of a disparity in finances (that disparity being we live within our means. They just spend cash that they don't actually have and if it all goes tits up...hey they'll just liquidate and a newco will be along in a few days and everything will be just fine). 

Sevco are no great shakes. Their team isn't much different from that which was dropping points faster than a Govan whore drops her crusty kecks  (although bizarrely it does extraordinarily well in Europe until they face an absolutely top quality side). For 45 minutes we didn't put a glove on them. By the end it was 60/40 in terms of possession and 14/4 total shots at goal in favour of them. I just find that unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Put it this way.  The game we lost 3-0 (miller and some other athletic type, the Jack Taylor fuckup) when we had a go and really should have won doesn’t rankle with me anything like as much as the defeatist pish of Saturday.

To an extent. Although the 2-1 defeat to Celtic last season at home in which we did have a go (which of course if we can do that effectively is everyone's preferred option) I remember plenty of criticism for being caught out on the break for the tims winner. 

Both the old firm spend such a relative fortune to ourselves that unfortunately this is always liable to happen if we open up too much.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, sitting in and soaking up pressure is fine if you break effectively. We didnt do that on Saturday.

51 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And to me there’s your crux right there.  With Hayes, Kennedy and Anderson On the field we never once broke effectively, and certainly never once threatened to get in behind them.  As mini says, not expecting a barrowload of goals, but a shot on target would be nice!

I agree on that. 

I can unfortunately think of a few times all of the above badly miscontrolled the ball or misplaced a pass. This doesn't absolve Mcinnes tactically (undoubted failings here) but the fact all 3 of them played shite as individuals pissed me off too.