Ronald Hernández

9 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Seen that and although I didnt realise he was a right back I was clocking thats an additional foreign player space.

So if we sell Hernandez for £1M where is he on the record list?

£1M Anderson - aye fuckin right

£1.3M Hayes - aye fuckin right, again

£1.75M Jess

£2M Cosgrove

£3M McKenna

Windass and Hignett are under a million and we cant really count Dodds. Am I forgetting anyone? 

Interesting to note atlanta have only loaned escobar out, much to annoyance of their fans who think he's decent. 

9 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Archibald was a superb footballer, an inspired piece of scouting and recruitment. The fact he spent the next eight years at two clubs like Spurs and Barcelona was testament to his quality.

Football has changed a LOT since then but the principles of identifying good talent and developing their skills hasn't, functions that AFC have been very poor at for far too long.

Will always remember him at Celtic Park ripping them to bits. Beautiful man. 

Don't know if it was him that identified and scouted Stevie Archibald, but if only we had someone of the ilk and class of Bobby Calder on our recruitment staff just now. 

What a man for identifying talent. 

7 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Surely its obvious why it isn't as easy for us to secure young talent like that now?

Because the huge clubs throw millions at scouting and are hoovering up youngsters ?

You don't have much clue about recruitment do you, big man? 

Identifying and scouting youngsters starts well before money is thrown about attracting the best of the next generation of footballer. 

I played with a few lads who were scouted by well known clubs, not clubs who spend millions on attracting youngsters to play for them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Just now, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Identifying and scouting youngsters starts well before money is thrown about attracting the best of the next generation of footballer. 

I played with a few lads who were scouted by well known clubs, not clubs who spend millions on attracting youngsters to play for them. 

Pish min. King MillerTime makes a sensible point. 

Back in the day you didn't have teams like Chelsea & Man City having massive youth squads with young players from all around the world. The idea of signing youngsters just to sell them all for relatively good fees didn't exist until the last 15-20 years or so.... or not that I was aware of it. Even if you do manage to get a good youth player in your squad there is still a very good chance one of those teams will pinch him for £500k then sell him for £5million with further clauses! Pricks

11 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

City and Chelsea are spending big money filing their academies. 

Screenshot-20210210-092930-Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Pish min. King MillerTime makes a sensible point. 

Back in the day you didn't have teams like Chelsea & Man City having massive youth squads with young players from all around the world. The idea of signing youngsters just to sell them all for relatively good fees didn't exist until the last 15-20 years or so.... or not that I was aware of it. Even if you do manage to get a good youth player in your squad there is still a very good chance one of those teams will pinch him for £500k then sell him for £5million with further clauses! Pricks

You make a good point min in respect in the change of culture in respect of selling on youngsters for a healthy profit over the last, say, 20 years or so. 

However, the concept of the recruitment of young footballers from the age of 7 onwards remains the same.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, G31DON said:

City and Chelsea are spending big money filing their academies. 

Screenshot-20210210-092930-Chrome.jpg

Aye, fair enough min, they do. However, what they are doing is pure money laundering, disguising the criminal source of illegimately gained money by transferring money into, what is allegedly deemed to be, a legitimate enterprise, such as a football club.

Messrs Abramovich and Mansour are very clever individuals who cover their tracks extremely well. 

Even the context of the article casts doubt on why Manchester City, a previously well-run, honest community club, felt the need to give Southend United far more than the market value for a 13 year old footballer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Surely its obvious why it isn't as easy for us to secure young talent like that now?

Because the huge clubs throw millions at scouting and are hoovering up youngsters ?

And yet you thought the cheeks underwriting League 1 and 2 ticket numbers for their colt teams was a good idea?

Dont get me wrong, in principle it is a good idea, but this is one of the flip sides of it and why overall, Im  dead set against it.  Im also concerned that the colt team would then quickly be filled with our better players - Scott Wright being a perfect example - leaving us stymied and the young players still in the same bottleneck they were before only much more concentrated.

11 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Anyways we digress...

Bought for £800k plays 6 games in one year and them sold on for presumably the same price (hopefully more)

its certainly up there with some of the strangest things weve ever done

I'm not convinced he's shit.

Almost feel for the lad, new country and couldnt see his family for months on end, only pals were those at the club (seemingly Ojo was a good mate of his).

Probably go on to be a very capable right back and we'll look like idiots for choosing to play Logan/Kennedy over him

25 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Almost feel for the lad, new country and couldnt see his family for months on end, only pals were those at the club (seemingly Ojo was a good mate of his).

Probably go on to be a very capable right back and we'll look like idiots for choosing to play Logan/Kennedy over him

It'll be interesting to watch him for Atlanta assuming the games are on Sky again this year

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Did Billy McNeill not take him with him from Clyde? 

Good shout, he sure did.

However, I may be wrong, but Bobby Calder was instrumental in getting the likes of Harper, Graham, Miller, McLeish and Leighton from Glasgow and the surrounding areas.

Wouldn't have been surprised if Archibald had been noted by Calder during the time he was scouting in that area of the world, although McNeill did take him from Clyde after previously working with him there. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1