Coronavirus

Henry

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

He's right that Sweden suffered much more than the other Nordic countries, but not as badly as the UK which the reasons he gave are all good.

Sweden now regret not going harder earlier and I feel that if the UK had locked down quicker, two weeks earlier then we could have made a significant difference when the virus was at the peak (for load as well as numbers - R).

It will have ran through Sweden, job done, weak killed off. Neighbouring Countries can hide and shield all they want, it will just take a little longer for the old to pass, numbers will even out. Imagine spending the last Months of your life hiding inside at an age when death is near anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

As "paddy", Ivor Cummins pointed out, the casedemic isn't everything it purports to be.

An increase in testing is obviously going to find more "cases" but is the testing good enough to differentiate between Covi 19 and other coronaviruses (and even rhinoviruses) of which the common cold and flu may test positive? We learned that even non-transmissable cases and antibodies of the remnants of a past infection are being detected.

Is all this worth the continuation of wrecking the economy? The measures need to be proportionate to the threat. Until we start seeing the population who are not old and vulnerable being hospitalised (let alone dying) from Covid 19 in particular, it should be business as usual. The eradication of basic human rights and killing communities and pubs etc. can not possibly be a reasonable outcome for the real danger faced.

Spot on

Just now, minijc said:

The disease I mentioned was for a specific reason, there has been outbreaks of it in Italy and New York, it's directly linked in with covid, so if some kids aren't feeling well I'd say it's best to get them tested rather than have them suffer through what comes with it that may leave them with issues as they get older.

Extremely rare cases min, hardly a reason to test a child. What is done if it comes back positive anyway? NOTHING!! Calpol and a couple days off school.

• Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Quite agree, a workable track and trace system should help but its only as good as the people who use it and unfortunately we in the UK aren’t the most co-operative when it comes to things that disrupt our way of life. Probably why its most successful in more subservient nations such as China and South Korea. The government have blundered their way through this from the beginning. I thought antibody testing would be well underway by now…Its dropped off the radar. Just more layers of ‘measures’, a creaking testing system and no clear route out of this mess.

Anti body tests are pointless right now given that there's still little to no proof of Herd immunity even being achievable, although the UK government have been throwing them in to help boost their capacity for testing but there's plenty of science/data out there that suggests they aren't very accurate.

1 minute ago, daytripping said:

Extremely rare cases min, hardly a reason to test a child. What is done if it comes back positive anyway? NOTHING!! Calpol and a couple days off school.

Bigger picture, kids test positive you remove them from the situation that in turn breaks the spread of the virus, it's nae difficult to understand.

1 minute ago, minijc said:

Anti body tests are pointless right now given that there's still little to no proof of Herd immunity even being achievable, although the UK government have been throwing them in to help boost their capacity for testing but there's plenty of science/data out there that suggests they aren't very accurate.

Bigger picture, kids test positive you remove them from the situation that in turn breaks the spread of the virus, it's nae difficult to understand.

Why would you want to hide them from it? It's harmless to the young.

• Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, minijc said:

How come an under 12 doesn't need to social distance from anyone (including elderly relatives/previously shielding people etc), but they need to be pulled out of school/childcare as soon as they have any symptom?

On one hand the school of thought seems to be that the risk of them carrying it (particularly asymptomatically) doesn't cause much risk of transmission to others, but on the other hand it is thought it does...

2 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Why would you want to hide them from it? It's harmless to the young.

Is it, based on what?  And lets just pretend it's completely harmless to them, if they don't get tested or if they don't isolate when they have it, I assume they can't spread it either in your warped heid?

Just now, daytripping said:

The evidence ffs!! lol

There's evidence that shows it going in to Kawasaki disease, we are also still at a point where we don't no what affects it could have on peoples health further down the road, one example, a large number of young athletes in America that tested positive for the virus showed bad swelling around the heart, there's been a few tests elsewhere that show cognitive decline in people that had recovered from the virus but I suppose none of that suits your ideology so it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

How come an under 12 doesn't need to social distance from anyone (including elderly relatives/previously shielding people etc), but they need to be pulled out of school/childcare as soon as they have any symptom?

On one hand the school of thought seems to be that the risk of them carrying it (particularly asymptomatically) doesn't cause much risk of transmission to others, but on the other hand it is thought it does...

That doesn't make sense to me, maybe the governments gave in to all the people crying about how kids not touching other kids is ruining their way of life.

55 minutes ago, daytripping said:

It's the snowflake generation, the something must be done brigade flapping at the 24/7 news coverage.

It's funny, the people that use the term 'snowflake' often end up showing themselves up for being far worse and more easily offended than those they accuse of being one.

Surely the news on the false hospitalisation figures have got you rethinking Mini? We can't go back in time but the time to get back to normal has well and truly come.

Get all these stupid masks to fuck, only test people in hospital/care homes and only if they have symptoms, stop these farcical, self indulgent, press conferences, get every business and office open as before and stop all this 'rule of 6' fucking garbage. 

Give every council a bung to take meals on wheels to the vulnerable and let docs and chemists do home visits if required. 

I'd also give a couple of grand to every person with an NI number with some facility that forces them to spend it within a certain time in a physical shop or venue. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
13 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Surely the news on the false hospitalisation figures have got you rethinking Mini? We can't go back in time but the time to get back to normal has well and truly come.

Get all these stupid masks to fuck, only test people in hospital/care homes and only if they have symptoms, stop these farcical, self indulgent, press conferences, get every business and office open as before and stop all this 'rule of 6' fucking garbage. 

Give every council a bung to take meals on wheels to the vulnerable and let docs and chemists do home visits if required. 

I'd also give a couple of grand to every person with an NI number with some facility that forces them to spend it within a certain time in a physical shop or venue. 

There's plenty I don't agree with the governments approach on, if they have been faking hospital numbers then that is completely wrong, like with anything you need total transparency and that goes both ways so if things are worse than they are letting on or better.  For me it's right to be cautious especially up here as we've shown in Scotland that we can get on top of the virus but too many don't seem to be willing to follow basic rules, the masks I get why some don't want to wear them but it's pretty obvious that wearing them may lead to things getting back to normal quicker.

Personally think UBI is the best way forward out of this mess and it makes the most sense, it would be fairly easy to implement in Scotland, probably UK wide actually but it doesn't fit the Tories ideology (not a dig it's just not something they believe in) but if put in place properly it would help so many people through what has become a horrendous time.

Talk of curfews etc is dumb especially right now, if things get out of hand in November and December it would make some sense I think but again governments need to be transparent with the thought process behind it and you can't be rolling out schemes to encourage people to go out and act 'normal' then berate them when social distancing and other guidelines breakdown.  I suppose though if things do get out of hands all the governments will have learned their lessons already and act better, a proper, hard lockdown earlier in March would've saved countless people from dying and I imagine we'd be in a better place now than what we currently are. 

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, minijc said:

the masks I get why some don't want to wear them but it's pretty obvious that wearing them may lead to things getting back to normal quicker.

Really? I have yet to see any good evidence that they make a difference when being used by the general public. All graphs I have seen from various countries show no change in course after the introduction of mask rules.

• Downvote 1
1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

Really? I have yet to see any good evidence that they make a difference when being used by the general public. All graphs I have seen from various countries show no change in course after the introduction of mask rules.

Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam would all argue against that.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

Considering these countries wore masks right from the start and even before the pandemic, I don’t see how it could be measured there. I am talking about countries where the line on the case graph remained on the same course after introducing mask mandates.

New York as a city seems to be doing alright and they even wear the masks on the street (which I don't agree with)