Coronavirus

Henry

4 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

The case for the union hugely compromised if that’s the case. If the treasury is only extending furlough based upon the situation in England then by definition it’s fucked. I don’t know how any reasonable person could legitimately support it after this blatant evidence of favouritism towards the southern guffy. 

Exactly. It's not only unfair on the devolved Governments but it completely alienates the North of England, who were desperately trying to secure better funding when being moved to tier 3.

The union is only important to Westminster when Scotland seek independence. Ask yourself why?

• Upvote 3
37 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The furlough scheme is Countrywide, people in Scotland will still be benefiting from it. If she wasn't being awkward with a need to be different we'd be following England in the first place.

Our numbers were on a downward trajectory when England announced lockdown so why would we do the same? 

13 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I have been very vocal about my dissatisfaction for sturgeon and Scottish government throughout this process but her hand is being forced on this and it’s a fucking horrible position for her to be in. Absolutely fuck the U.K. government if they pull a stunt like this. 

Exactly. 

As you said, you've been vocal about her but you can see this is wrong. 

Proves the likes of Dayts just go against everything she does for some attention on a forum. Embarrassing. 

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Scotland has a low prevalence generally of covid at the moment so this lockdown, if it happens, could go someway in driving the levels so low that we will come out the other end more quickly. 

So you want us to be shutdown even though covid infections are low Here?

28 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I have been very vocal about my dissatisfaction for sturgeon and Scottish government throughout this process but her hand is being forced on this and it’s a fucking horrible position for her to be in. Absolutely fuck the U.K. government if they pull a stunt like this. 

Totally agree. Farcical that they can't just give her a realistic budget to use as and when she needs it. I don't think we'll lock down, she has to give these levels a chance or the whole thing is totally fucked. 

7 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

So you want us to be shutdown even though covid infections are low Here?

No of course it’s not what I want. What I want is irrelevant though and I’m trying to see things from a bigger picture perspective. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't but if it's now or never (furlough only being in place while England is in lockdown), then it makes sense to do it IMO. 

Yeah. As I said previously, it appears that they’re forcing Scotland’s hand with this. 

Just now, Parklife said:

I don't but if it's now or never (furlough only being in place while England is in lockdown), then it makes sense to do it IMO. 

I cannot agree with this... 

I hope this is the Scottish Government's attempt to try and call the UK Government's bluff, and not a genuine consideration.  

They have put in place a system that they believe is grounded in science and has/is showing some positive results.  There may be no need for a tier/level 4 lockdown anywhere in Scotland, and certainly not blanket across Scotland at any time.  

So why would you put in place a nationwide lockdown at that level, putting people out of work and not getting full pay again, just because the safety net is there? 

Unless they have a complete lack of faith in the system they have just spent weeks working on and are only just implementing, then it is an illogical decision.  

I agree fully with the sentiments that it is ridiculous we are in a situation that we have the fiscal policy relating to 4 different nations public health strategies being aligned to only one of those nation's needs.  I do not agree that a safety net should be used just because it is there, if there is a chance that you may never need to use it.  

• Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

I cannot agree with this... 

I hope this is the Scottish Government's attempt to try and call the UK Government's bluff, and not a genuine consideration.  

They have put in place a system that they believe is grounded in science and has/is showing some positive results.  There may be no need for a tier/level 4 lockdown anywhere in Scotland, and certainly not blanket across Scotland at any time.  

So why would you put in place a nationwide lockdown at that level, putting people out of work and not getting full pay again, just because the safety net is there? 

Unless they have a complete lack of faith in the system they have just spent weeks working on and are only just implementing, then it is an illogical decision.  

I agree fully with the sentiments that it is ridiculous we are in a situation that we have the fiscal policy relating to 4 different nations public health strategies being aligned to only one of those nation's needs.  I do not agree that a safety net should be used just because it is there, if there is a chance that you may never need to use it.  

Absolutely correct that we should be making decisions based on the evidence and data but it’s a really horrible position to be put in.

Edit - nothing has happened yet, it will be interesting to see 

1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

Or because she's forced to because the tories are cunts 

She was quite happy last week, them going into lockdown means nothing.

No idea why people are unhappy, gives our wet pubs staff protection for another Month, no idea where they keep finding the money but well done the government.

Another shutdown up here would finish off many businesses.

How many lockdowns have we had ?

Personally I think all politicians in the UK have been useless during this pandemic.

The first thing that should happen is all politicians,civil servants,local council staff and generally anybody paid by the public purse should take an immediate 20% pay cut.

The only exceptions would be the emergency services.

1 minute ago, daytripping said:

She was quite happy last week, them going into lockdown means nothing.

No idea why people are unhappy, gives our wet pubs staff protection for another Month, no idea where they keep finding the money but well done the government.

They've put it on a credit card our kids will have to pay off

Just now, DelMonte said:

Or because she's forced to because the tories are cunts 

There is nothing forcing this.  The plan they had for November involved there being no extension of the Job Retention Scheme, and was deemed appropriate and acceptable.  There was no expectation of anything further, in November or further.  

If any business is unable to operate in November, they will now have an additional support that wasn't there before.  If any business is still able to operate under the tier plan in Scotland, then why would you force them to shut?  

There are two points here:

1. Are UK government fair in making supports around fiscal support based on the needs of only England? 
  2. Does Scotland need to move from the plan that they had for the immediate future purely because this support is now available?

The answer to 1 is no, it is not fair.  The answer to 2 is more complex, but no, they don't need to.  It is a political decision to do so.

• Upvote 2