Coronavirus

Henry

1 minute ago, The Boofon said:

I don't see it. 

Unless you wear specs which steam up all the time it doesn't have any impact on day to day life popping a mask on to go shopping. A pain in the arse if you forget one obviously but easily enough to remedy. 

I keep forgetting them, used to try cover face with jacket but now stopped being ridiculous, only ever in co-op a few mins, no one has ever challenged me about it 

11 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Do you ever question whether the action (of total mask compliance) is commensurate to the threat?

I also wonder how effective they are in reducing spread. There's too much better safe than sorry going on, without risk assessing.

No.

It's not total mask compliance as far as I'm aware back in the UK.

In shops and public indoor areas, (and tented "indoor" pubs and restaurants) and on public transport as far as I know.

14 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Masks are a pain in the arse. Having to wear them in outdoors areas is even more of a pain in the arse 

The day we aren't being told to wear them cant come soon enough 

Eh? Where do you have to wear them outdoors?

Do the people saying they're not going to take the vaccine want to carry on living life in tier's or life to get back to normal? Vaccine looks like the only way out of this so why would anyone not want to take one? Is it a fear it might go wrong? a big enough fear that you'd rather live the rest of you life in lockdown? Genuinely puzzled.

11 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

No.

It's not total mask compliance as far as I'm aware back in the UK.

In shops and public indoor areas, (and tented "indoor" pubs and restaurants) and on public transport as far as I know.

Eh? Where do you have to wear them outdoors?

Dropping off and picking up the kids from School. 

1 hour ago, Foster14 said:

On the pregnancy chat, given it is only going to be given to people over the age of 16, is the unborn child not just an extension of that?  

Hopefully this question doesn't set a particular someone off...

If you have the means to do so, JvT was on BBC this morning after 8 speaking about the vaccine and was asked specifically about pregnancy. 

16 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

No? Do you always do what you're told without applying any independent critical thinking? Is it just everything the government the tells us to do? Was this compliance habit formed in infancy and reinforced through childhood, as most of ours were?

That's how it comes across to me. You'll know what I'm talking about, even if you don't fit into the majority classification I'm speaking of. Or maybe you don't understand what I'm saying. That wouldn't be a first. 

No. But if I'm not going to get into a shop unless I wear a mask then I'll wear one.

There's a good line between compliance and cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Fancy a pint? 

Aye.

We'll need to wear a mask to get in the pub.

Fuck that I'm not wearing a mask because the government tell me to.

Oh well. See you later. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We’re all capable of independent critical thinking - just because some choose to use that critical thinking to inform their decision to wear a mask in certain situations.

Yes, the personal risk to me is minor, the inconvenience of wearing a mask to me is minor - but the consequences of COVID to others are not minor. Whether or not you believe it directly results in deaths - it certainly results in increased restrictions, closed business and a much greater inconvenience to me than wearing a mask (amongst other actions) to help reduce transmission.

Yes, the government asks (or sometimes tells) us to do these things. It also tells us to do lots of other than things: pay taxes, drive legally etc. Sure, I can choose not to do these things that the government tells me to...but there will be consequences. These consequences are greater to me (fines etc) than compliance - so compliance is a better option for me than being some sort of rebel to claim that I’m capable of critical thinking.

12 hours ago, Parklife said:

Excuse my ignorance but how long does it take to produce the flu vaccine every year? 

70 years they've been trying and can still only produce one that's about 40% effective.  Yet they've managed to produce a 95% effective vaccine for Covid in 8 months?

Hmmmm

22 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

No? Do you always do what you're told without applying any independent critical thinking? Is it just everything the government the tells us to do? Was this compliance habit formed in infancy and reinforced through childhood, as most of ours were?

That's how it comes across to me. You'll know what I'm talking about, even if you don't fit into the majority classification I'm speaking of. Or maybe you don't understand what I'm saying. That wouldn't be a first. 

You wear clothes I presume when you're out and about?

Why?

The government passing laws saying going about naked will result in you being fined for indecent exposure.

Your moral compass not pointing North with that?

I'm off to Sainsbury's naked as a protest as I'm being oppressed by the society that demands I cover up.

What's indecent about the human body?

1 hour ago, manboobs109 said:

I'm not convinced Studs. They will continue to ramp up the fear, keep giving it the old 'I wear a mask to protect others' chat, we'll still be getting test numbers, fatality numbers, the vaccine won't change that, only politicians can and I'm not entirely convinced they want to. 

One things for sure, you’ll still be relentlessly gurning on about it well after all this shits over. You love it.

Your local will be scunnered it ever had to reopen once they hear you relentlessly gurning on about covid every time yir in.

• Upvote 1
Just now, NEM said:

70 years they've been trying and can still only produce one that's about 40% effective.  Yet they've managed to produce a 95% effective vaccine for Covid in 8 months?

Hmmmm

Where you getting the 40% from? Most things I've read refer to seasonal flu vaccine (a new vaccine each year, not one that's been worked on for 70 years, given to millions of people) as being around 60% effective. 

You still thinking it alters your DNA? 

53 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Do the people saying they're not going to take the vaccine want to carry on living life in tier's or life to get back to normal? Vaccine looks like the only way out of this so why would anyone not want to take one? Is it a fear it might go wrong? a big enough fear that you'd rather live the rest of you life in lockdown? Genuinely puzzled.

No need for any more lockdowns. Let anyone that's feart of a virus with a 99.97% survival rate take a vaccine and let everyone else take their chances.  

Nothing to do with fear.  I've never had the flu vaccine cause I'm not arsed about catching the flu, same as I'm not arsed about catching Covid.  Surely it should be personal choice.  Pretty fucking sinister if folk are coerced or forced into it.

1 minute ago, NEM said:

No need for any more lockdowns. Let anyone that's feart of a virus with a 99.97% survival rate take a vaccine and let everyone else take their chances.  

Nothing to do with fear.  I've never had the flu vaccine cause I'm not arsed about catching the flu, same as I'm not arsed about catching Covid.  Surely it should be personal choice.  Pretty fucking sinister if folk are coerced or forced into it.

Same here and agree with you.

Not arsed with the Covid vaccine either but it would appear very likely I'll need it for work. Same as the Yellow book shite I've to get on occasion.