Coronavirus

Henry

41 minutes ago, Roberto said:

I do admire the optimism, and truthfully I hope you are right... but let's just wait and see.

Still about 6 more variants to come in the next couple months (nostradamus prediction). We have been here before...

Aye I don’t doubt it. That’s what happens, viruses mutate and adapt to survive. It’s not really in anyone’s interest to continue in lockdown indefinitely. 

57 minutes ago, NEM said:

Wouldn't imagine that'll be any time soon.

"3 weeks to flatten the curve" last March

"2 week circuit breaker" in December.

Dates released last week for lifting restrictions - backtracking on them already due to the "Brazilian variant".  A variant we're told is extremely virulent yet 3 folk flew into Aberdeen with it 5 weeks ago and we're barely in single figure cases daily now.

55 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Don’t think anyone has backtracked. In fact I believe they (gov) said only tonight they’re still on course to stick with the intended date.

Exactly. 

53 minutes ago, Roberto said:

First off, against restrictions which I don't believe AT ALL should still be in place now a year later. I feel strongly about that.

That doesn't change the fact that the only way they'll be lifted is once a sizeable number of the population are fully vaccinated though. 

No one really gives a fuck about stealing money for their pals? Well it's being talked about more and more now, and these 'polls' tend to be a lot of shite also. They don't speak for every person in the country.

Not "no one", that was poor word choice by me. I don't think a significant number of people care though. They just think all politicians are the same and would do the same thing. 

'Early indications'... what was the % of these vaccines at the beginning? What were they recently?

Off the top of my head about 90% efficacy was reported for them initially (varied by vaccine). Initial studies are showing that after just one dose they're proving to be upwards of 80% effective. 

• Dildo 1
34 minutes ago, NEM said:

Press reports I read this morning said they may have to put the dates back. I’ll be amazed if they stick to them tbh. Amazed and delighted even though they are ridiculously far away 

Aye they’ll please themselves about what happens and when to an extent but the rhetoric seems different this time. I’m not sure what the backlash would be if they renege. 

5 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Frogs now changing their minds on the AZ/Oxford vaccine for over 65s. 
Back of the queue, Pierre.

It is funny that, despite France and Germany doing that they've still managed to get a higher percentage of their populations vaccinated with two doses than the UK has, bloody EU.

1 hour ago, Joe pike said:

Sturgeon set to announce that the levels are to be toughened up.

From 26/4  level 4 will go from 300 cases to 150.

Level 2 is going from 150 to 50.

The reason given is the new Brazil variant.

Nice wee shift of the goalposts there. The 26th of April won't signal any significant changes. Just different "variants" of the same shite.

The "hang in a little bit longer, stick to the rules for your own good" argument wore thin a long time ago. It's not a little bit longer.

Just do what you feel comfortable with folks, we're never getting out of this open/close cycle.

4 hours ago, Joe pike said:

So how does that translate against current numbers? Must only be about 3-4 local authorities reporting cases over 150 per 100,000. 

In fact, I'd hazard a guess more local authorities currently fall under level 2 than level 4. With that likely to increase significantly come 26th of April.

Everyone moaned when Glasgow was not put into level 4 when numbers were over 200 per 100,000 (rightly so), so surely this change addresses this sort of disparity? 

Deaths, ICU submissions, hospitalisations, cases, half the number of cases, variants.

It’s been a never ending shifting of goal posts. We’ll probably end up like Australia / New Zealand where one case will gather a lock down for that area.

Just stop getting tested folks, that’s the route to freedom!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
5 hours ago, Joe pike said:

Where did you see that Joe ?  Even for Sturgeon’s standards, that sounds extremely draconian.  

Although the things with her tier levels is that they are “indicative only”. Their was certainly a number of occasions before Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire should have been dropped a level but never were. 

Edit - Just seen it on BBC Scotland News. FFS. 

7 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Where did you see that Joe ?  Even for Sturgeon’s standards, that sounds extremely draconian.  

Although the things with her tier levels is that they are “indicative only”. Their was certainly a number of occasions before Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire should have been dropped a level but never were. 

It’s on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56237471

Most places are currently level 3

Aberdeen & Shire currently level 2

24 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

And would you go to work if you knowingly had it risking all your colleagues and their families? 

No silly, I wouldn’t have had a test so I wouldn’t knowingly have it.

So you want to stay in and under restrictions until the end of days? Covid-19 is never going away.

We have to learn to live with it without restrictions around every corner like we do with flu (which kills a shit load of elderly, frail and unwell people and fills hospital beds every single year around winter time (but the NHS are never ever prepared for it, which sounds familiar) but we don’t have to hide under our beds to protect people against).
Any other strategy than learning to live with it is bullshit, always has been.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, CraigHill said:

No silly, I wouldn’t have had a test so I wouldn’t knowingly have it.

So you want to stay in and under restrictions until the end of days? Covid-19 is never going away.

We have to learn to live with it without restrictions around every corner like we do with flu (which kills a shit load of elderly, frail and unwell people and fills hospital beds every single year around winter time (but the NHS are never ever prepared for it, which sounds familiar) but we don’t have to hide under our beds to protect people against).
Any other strategy than learning to live with it is bullshit, always has been.

Surely testing helps with vaccine development. Testing also helps identify new variants which allows vaccines to be modified to ensure they are still effective.

I don't want to be under lockdown anymore than you and completely understand your frustrations, although I don't believe the way out of it is telling people not to get tested. One of the main reasons we are in this position was because it was new virus no one knew about, understanding the virus and how it reacts is vitally important to the return of normality. Testing allows this. 

3 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

Surely testing helps with vaccine development. Testing also helps identify new variants which allows vaccines to be modified to ensure they are still effective.

I don't want to be under lockdown anymore than you and completely understand your frustrations, although I don't believe the way out of it is telling people not to get tested. One of the main reasons we are in this position was because it was new virus no one knew about, understanding the virus and how it reacts is vitally important to the return of normality. Testing allows this. 

I’m not against testing unless the government keep changing the goalposts. 
We’ve put up with it so long, the vulnerable have now been vaccinated and they are still tightening this. People are fucking massively fed up, so if they decide a low number of positive tests keeps an area under higher restrictions then people will just say fuck it and not get tested.

Time to get out there and live with it, including the variants that the government and press use to maintain the massive project fear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1