Coronavirus

Henry

I think their issue was much the same as ours, leaving care homes to fend for themselves. I'm sure Scotland and Sweden would protect them more if they could go back to the start. 

Some people(me) were saying from the beginning of lockdown that resources should've been spent on protecting the vulnerable instead of paying perfectly healthy people to sit about doing fuck all. 

Somebody said earlier that this thread just goes round in circles, nobody able to concede a wee bit ground, posting sources that agree with their view and they were right. 

My gut feeling is that the virus is becoming less potent. I can't see how we can go from the situation from a couple of months back to this without this being the case. Very low numbers in hosp, no deaths and yet cases rising. 

Of course Parky will pounce on this asking for evidence and listing other countries but its an interpretation of what is going on here. I was right about kids in school not being a huge danger, I was right about protecting the vulnerable with more resources and I reckon I'm right about this. 

Close the borders, protect the vulnerable and let's just crack on. 

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Millertime said:

This happens to seemingly healthy people every day,  it isnt a new phenomenon with the "corona virus"

I'm not saying it's a new thing but we don't actually have a cure for this do we and to stop it from killing large numbers of people there's things we can do to help prevent it.

3 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

I think their issue was much the same as ours, leaving care homes to fend for themselves. I'm sure Scotland and Sweden would protect them more if they could go back to the start. 

Some people(me) were saying from the beginning of lockdown that resources should've been spent on protecting the vulnerable. 

it's one of those things no one would disagree with. You've not explained how you'd have done it though. Please tell us. Let everyone who's not "vulnerable" go about as normal, leading to a higher incidence of Covid in the general population. Who's looking after people in care homes? Who's cleaning them? Who's delivering food? Who's treating the sick in care homes? 

Somebody said earlier that this thread just goes round in circles, nobody able to concede a wee bit ground, posting sources that agree with their view and they were right. 

Probably a large element of truth and I'm sure at the end everyone will claim that everything they said has been proved right ?

My gut feeling is that the virus is becoming less potent. I can't see how we can go from the situation from a couple of months back to this without this being the case. Very low numbers in hosp, no deaths and yet cases rising. 

We don't know how it's mutating. Hopefully your right. I've no idea. 

Of course Parky will pounce on this asking for evidence and listing other countries but its an interpretation of what is going on here.

Yeah. Imagine looking for evidence of something, rather than just deciding it's true....

I was right about kids in school not being a huge danger, I was right about protecting the vulnerable with more resources and I reckon I'm right about this. 

Close the borders, protect the vulnerable and let's just crack on. 

Told you everyone would claim they were "right" ?

2 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It's almost as if there was a 'lockdown'..

Yeah and that most folk are wearing masks in enclosed spaces & practising social distancing & working from home more & paying more attention to hand hygiene. 

Moaning about every measure put in place, then them working, then claiming he was "right" about everything is classic Moobs ?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I'll just answer the top question. The people who work in the care homes with appropriate PPE and extra staff as required. It's not that difficult to imagine Parky. Instead of the state paying furlough wages unnecessarily they could've properly resourced care homes, home carers etc. Imagine how superb some of our care homes could be with those billions spent on them. 

Also both you and Hanzo seem to have missed my point somewhat. I'm saying among the people who are 'ill' why is there a lesser proportion of them going to hospital? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3
5 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

I'll wait til next year and see what's happening re vaccines etc. I think there will be a contraction in the market, pub goers down by a fairly hefty percentage, so there will be plenty up for sale/lease but whether they are viable or not is the issue. 

Fuck knows is the answer. 

Where would your ideal pub be ? how would it look ?

16 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I'll just answer the top question. The people who work in the care homes with appropriate PPE and extra staff as required. It's not that difficult to imagine Parky. Instead of the state paying furlough wages unnecessarily they could've properly resourced care homes, home carers etc. Imagine how superb some of our care homes could be with those billions spent on them. 

So we're going to have a really high level of Covid in the general population but we're going to stop that getting to to care homes. Cool. No probs. Sounds totally logical and workable. 

16 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Also both you and Hanzo seem to have missed my point somewhat. I'm saying among the people who are 'ill' why is there a lesser proportion of them going to hospital? 

I said I hope you're right. We don't have a clue though. 

We don't know what proportion of people who had Covid went to hospital before and we don't know now. You've just asserted a lower proportion are going now without knowing. There's hardly anyone who has Covid right now, so it stands to reason we'll have hardly any hospital admissions because of it. 

Weekly figures

• Positive tests: week ending 15 August: 29,547 people tested - 339 positive
  • Number of tests: 85,914 tests reported week ending 15 August.
  • Care homes: as at 12 August: 53 (5%) adult care homes with a current case of suspected COVID-19.
  • Care homes confirmed cases: 0 new positive COVID-19 cases among care home residents for week 03 - 09 August
  • Care homes testing: week ending 6 August: At least 616 individual care home staff, and 62 residents were tested in care homes with a confirmed case of COVID-19. At least 35,512 individual care home staff, and 1,348 residents were tested in care homes with no confirmed cases of COVID-19. Health Board data is available.
45 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So we're going to have a really high level of Covid in the general population but we're going to stop that getting to to care homes. Cool. No probs. Sounds totally logical and workable. 

I said I hope you're right. We don't have a clue though. 

We don't know what proportion of people who had Covid went to hospital before and we don't know now. You've just asserted a lower proportion are going now without knowing. There's hardly anyone who has Covid right now, so it stands to reason we'll have hardly any hospital admissions because of it. 

You don't think it's possible for well resourced and staffed care homes to stop it getting in there? 

If course I'm forgetting your expertise and knowledge in, well, everything really. 

• Upvote 2

Killer virus that has the potential to eat folk from the inside out and is so contagious that you just have to look at somebody with it and you get it.

40 odd thousand folk dead associated with it so far and despite 95% of the population being virtually locked in their houses for 3/4 months.

But lets all just get on with it and disregard the potential for 10 times as many deaths in this country. (Based on a conservative estimate)

Good fucking strategy like. ??

• Downvote 2
31 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You don't think it's possible for well resourced and staffed care homes to stop it getting in there? 

If course I'm forgetting your expertise and knowledge in, well, everything really. 

I never claim I had expertise or experience. That's just the same old shtick you come out with when you're havering shite and can't back up what you assert. 

You tell me how we're keeping Covid out of care homes if the level in the general level is exorbitantly high? The only way I can see is to have the care workers all live in the homes for perhaps 3 weeks at a time, with each new intake of workers having 2 weeks isolated quarantine, while being tested, before going in to start their 3 weeks. 

So you're going to need a lot of care home staff and a hell of a lot of cash to pay them for being away from their family for such long stretches. 

You'd also need to have Dr's in each home in case someone got ill. And any resident who'd been in hospital would need to do the same quarantine before going back in to the home.

It could probably be done, sure. You'd need every resident in every home to consent to being essentially held captive too though. Which is probably your biggest hurdle. Definitely against their human rights there. 

Guest milne_afc

I see the Labour and Tory Unionist parties are rounding on Wee Jeanie Freeman for a practice taking place across the UK since the early weeks of the big LD. 

George Galloway has accused her of corporate manslaughter. Meanwhile, PHEngland is being dismantled before there's time for a full public enquiry. 

#politics